Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

creator, hilarious story.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

about a month ago, there was a video clip floatin around the net of kids who gets car stuck on snow bank in his own driveway. buddy comes by with a 1/2T Ford, and starts draggin him, but he goes a little sideways and hangs him up on the small bank. then they take a couple of hard runs and pull the entire front or rear clip off the car. their stunned expression was hilarious.

my GM van ( the one you keep telling me really isn't a lemon) was in it's natural broken down state about 2-3 miles from home. being too cheap to pay yet another tow-bill on this thing, i decided to tow it home late at night, with the mighty PSD. i have a tow-rope made for me by a log salvage buddy (marine guy). it's kinda thin looking, but he said it's some kinda special fiber, strong like steel to 10,000lb. so we went around my hitch, and around the front end of the GM like a sling,kinda by the frame and lower control arms. my father-in-law rode in the van.didn't want a 2-way radio, but it came in handy when i had to remind him to take it outta park after the initial drag!. the trip went okay. i was real worried about the sling-shot rearender, which we never did. but when i removed rope it had cut it's way about 50% thru, just from the way i'd placed it thru the front end. now my rope is shorter.

moral of the story is whenever i tow someone or pull them out, let them hook up to theirs, and you do your end.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

letting them hook THEIR vehicle up is the correct way to handle it for sure. Don't forget to place something heavy (like a sandbag, coat, something) over the middle of the strap in case it comes loose or breaks. If not, it might come right through your back window![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I have seen a chain make the back of a K1500 quite a mess[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I was helping someone pull out some people at Pismo. This guy didn't know where to put the strap to hook up this minivan. I told him well go through the lower control arm (only thing stout enough on the front end that was accessable with the air dam. I decided to check it, just to make sure. He looped it around the tie rod. OUCH.

Also that trip we (well, it was my friend) lucked out when a strap snapped. I felt the struck surge (it's a D/A) and was like uhhhh. Looked at my buddy and looked like he was about to cry. "What the?" "The strap snapped." [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] His license plate has about a 1" deep dent in it now.

Has anyone ever seen anyone selling a cotton or other natural fiber tow strap? My brother was in the Navy (USS Kitty Hawk '94-99) and they made it clear in no uncertain terms that NO nylon ropes were to be used. They showed them a movie of a nylon rope snapping and what happens. The manican was sliced in half, cleanly. All of the ropes they used were either cotton or hemp.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 03-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Confused the rope your speakin of is called spectra-braid. thats what we use on out boats for winch lines on the cranes. way better than cable. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Strong ropes in the 12 strand catagory

Old 03-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

locally, some guys got liquored up plus they were into the happy lettuce and chasing Festus-age chicky-poos. they were in a riding area with a 4x4 and found a burnt out car they started dragging around for fun. it kept coming off the tow rope, and they'd have to re-attach it. one time, one of the guys is at the back by the car and says to the teeny-bopper, " tell him to hit it when i give you the signal". she promtly screams verbatim what she's just been told. the driver only hears her squelch out, "HIT IT". he floors it and took the guys lower leg off clean, like a leg of ham. they threw the leg in the box and were easily 1/2 an hour away on a bumpy, rough logging road, driving like maniacs. don't know how the lawsuit settled, but should be interesting.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

That sounds like a no fault situation to me. if the driver gets sued over it id have to kill the buddy that sued me. DUMASS i guess it is canada and all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Range Rover

just show you he shoud have been the one to say hit it

Old 03-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Quad Patrol

People just don't understand what can happen[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] when something goes wrong[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] while trying to pull/winch someone or something[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

Has anyone ever seen anyone selling a cotton or other natural fiber tow strap? My brother was in the Navy (USS Kitty Hawk '94-99) and they made it clear in no uncertain terms that NO nylon ropes were to be used. They showed them a movie of a nylon rope snapping and what happens. The manican was sliced in half, cleanly. All of the ropes they used were either cotton or hemp.

Skinner, Over Christmas break, BJ's had just what your looking for[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Stupid me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] didn't buy it either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I think it was like $65[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

And the only "hemp" I know of[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] you don't tow with[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2005, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
That sounds like a no fault situation to me. if the driver gets sued over it id have to kill the buddy that sued me. DUMASS i guess it is canada and all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
yep, we're always about 10 years behind your legal precedences.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel