Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

It's nice to get it to start on the second kick[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Almost feel spoiled[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but spoiled would be having a electric starter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Would I be right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] to assume that, with the quad starting on the second kick[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] that I'm pretty close on the carb set up, other then it not idling?

Old 03-23-2005, 02:59 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: rescuediver

Yes it was. That's why I also didn't think it would matter. Just thought I'd throw that out there because I forgot to mention it earlier[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] and, wanted to make sure I covered all bases.

I was just out there, spraying some carb cleaner around. Didin't find anything that would lead me to believe I had a leak[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Did find a thread last night, that mentioned the throttle cable might be to tight. This could also be part of the problem, due to taking the carb off and disconnecting the throttle cable. Was tinkering around with it. Then burnt my hand on HOT exhaust pipe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] So, now, I'm letting it cool down a little.
Sounds stupid, but try pulling the filter and plugging the hose, and see if it makes any difference. Now that you mention the cable I wonder if the slide is sticking a little. Does turning handlebars lock to lock change the idle? if no I would think cable is cool. Stillcould pull off topof carb and check slide travel. Wouldnt take much to make it sticky.

Old 03-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Sounds stupid, but try pulling the filter and plugging the hose, and see if it makes any difference. Now that you mention the cable I wonder if the slide is sticking a little. Does turning handlebars lock to lock change the idle? if no I would think cable is cool. Stillcould pull off topof carb and check slide travel. Wouldnt take much to make it sticky.
I'll try that with the filter. Also was thinking maybe the cable was sticking. I didn't lube it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Guess, I'll try forcing some lube down it to see if that helps. Didn't see any change by turning the bars.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:02 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Would I be right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] to assume that, with the quad starting on the second kick[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] that I'm pretty close on the carb set up, other then it not idling?
Yes you are close. Does it make a difference if the choke is on or not?

Old 03-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Quad Patrol

Yes you are close. Does it make a difference if the choke is on or not?
Ok, it doesn't make a difference with the crank case hole plugged. It does make a difference if the choke is on. Idle goes way up.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Quad Patrol

Ok, just for the heckof it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I pulled the plug. It is black/oily at the base of the plug, the tip is gray and the prong is tan. Porcelin [sp] is light tan[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2005, 09:17 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

RD.
plug sounds ok to me. does the idle surge or just kind of float around? Or will in just not hold a idle at all and die? You just cleaned the carb right? How old is the plug? How long would it take to put back on the stock filter/box?

Old 03-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Sounds like you need to completely rejet the bike, from top to bottom. Start with a fresh plug and go. As it is, you are looking at the plug the way it was. You'll probably need to go up a jet across the board: Main and Pilot. The "choke" on my Warrior is an enrichning circuit. I would assume your carb is like that. Puts more fuel into it. With no air box you are now flowing a LOT of air, and need to flow a LOT of fuel to compensate. You need a 14:1 ratio of 02 to Gas.

Here's a good one guys. Listened to the radio report. Snow level to 3,000ft today. Fish Camp (higher than Miami) got like 20". Not sure what Miami got. Definately have to take a drive this weekend. LJ....get the Jeep, chains and chainsaw.... we might need it. Forecast is for 70s next week so hopefully any snow will be melted off. Partly cloudy this weekend.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 03-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Quad Patrol

RD.
plug sounds ok to me. does the idle surge or just kind of float around? Or will in just not hold a idle at all and die? You just cleaned the carb right? How old is the plug? How long would it take to put back on the stock filter/box?
The idle surges. It will hold an idle, but, way high. I can't get it to hold an idle at low rpm's. Yes, carb was just cleaned, plug is brand new, put it on with all the other goodies[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] To go back to stock would be about an hour. Have to strip her down and remove rear shock to put it all back. Luckily, I still have it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Almost threw it away[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Sounds like you need to completely rejet the bike, from top to bottom. Start with a fresh plug and go. As it is, you are looking at the plug the way it was. You'll probably need to go up a jet across the board: Main and Pilot. The "choke" on my Warrior is an enrichning circuit. I would assume your carb is like that. Puts more fuel into it. With no air box you are now flowing a LOT of air, and need to flow a LOT of fuel to compensate. You need a 14:1 ratio of 02 to Gas.

Here's a good one guys. Listened to the radio report. Snow level to 3,000ft today. Fish Camp (higher than Miami) got like 20". Not sure what Miami got. Definately have to take a drive this weekend. LJ....get the Jeep, chains and chainsaw.... we might need it. Forecast is for 70s next week so hopefully any snow will be melted off. Partly cloudy this weekend.
Skinner, I researched what other guys have done with the same set up on a mojave. Seems like, I'm in the ball park[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Just can't get it to idle at low rpm's. Seems others have settles for what I call "bumping" the throttle, to keep it idling. I can do that. But, don't want to, my daughter rides this quad. When we were at Carnegie last weekend, she had a heck of a time riding the hills[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Plus, I wouldn't know where to start. I broke out the jet kit and everything is set up according to their recommendations[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I just can't get it to idle right. AAARRRGGGGGGGGG

Sounds good for next weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm 99% sure I'm going[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel