Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 02:02 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
I just posted the pictures of the damaged radiator and guard from the camping trip with BRW, PS01, RD, and others from the forum. I also posted one of the new and improved MWQ Racing Team guard. Not quite as serious as the OFC Racing Team but very close. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Looks good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If I was to name my racing team, it would be something like: 3 not so fast girlies[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Girls kick but[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], or Stay away OFC[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2005, 02:11 AM
Quad Patrol

Here's a question that's on the PSD subject[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

While I sit waiting, usually for my girls[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I shut down the PSD and then , turn the key to the on position, not the auxiliary position. To listen to the radio, talk to another person, drive thru window, etc, etc. This could be for a couple minutes to 30 minutes+++. Now, does this shorten the glow plug life? The light on the dash does go out. However much I love the PSD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I really know very little[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] about the internal workings of it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2005, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not turn the key BACKWARDS to the aux. position???? i always thot what yer doing is hard on any veh.

MWQ, i thot 6061 was top grade alum. guess 7075 is stronger?? it looks to be the same design as the old one, but new one is much stronger (?). good job of fabricating. ya shoulda got MD to help ya out, he coulda dug out some of that battleship iron he used to build his winch mount![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] not even an IBM will penetrate that. granted, a tad heavy.

creator, HTF do you re-finish a raised panel with the profiles on the panel, plus the profiles on the rails and stiles??? ya need a dremel tool to get all the tough spots. YUCK!! i just can't see how you'd fully strip the old finish.... in which case, why start, cuz it'll never be perfect, only different. i like yer replacement idea better!

tiling over plywood is fine, but my uneven cement floors have been a real treat[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2005, 03:15 AM
Quad Patrol

[quote]
Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
why not turn the key BACKWARDS to the aux. position???? i always thot what yer doing is hard on any veh.

Because I like going FORWARD not BACKWARDS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] What's your reasoning for being hard an a vehicle??? I mean, I am a OLD DOG[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But, I can be taught new tricks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

MWQ, i thot 6061 was top grade alum. guess 7075 is stronger?? it looks to be the same design as the old one, but new one is much stronger (?). good job of fabricating. ya shoulda got MD to help ya out, he coulda dug out some of that battleship iron he used to build his winch mount![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] not even an IBM will penetrate that. granted, a tad heavy.

I do have some left over[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] IBM, LMAO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] that's why I used battleship grade metal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

creator, HTF do you re-finish a raised panel with the profiles on the panel, plus the profiles on the rails and stiles??? ya need a dremel tool to get all the tough spots. YUCK!! i just can't see how you'd fully strip the old finish.... in which case, why start, cuz it'll never be perfect, only different. i like yer replacement idea better!

NAH, they have a 3 sided sander[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] works pretty good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Still think it's better to replace though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] To much work[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

tiling over plywood is fine, but my uneven cement floors have been a real treat[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

But, plywood flexes and that leads to cracking grout and tile[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] not that you really care[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] your selling the house[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2005, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya know, it could be one of those urban myths MD, but i thot leaving ign. on is hard on something, that's why they have AUX setting. I think it's the alternator that it's tough on. c'mon creator, jump in here, yer the resident mechanic! but yer making the vehicle think it's in the run position, so everything is on, instead of just drawing the power you need from the battery.

ya, i guess plywood will flex if ya cheap out and use 1/4". concrete flexes too! (in an earthquake). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2005, 08:26 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: confusedbuyerMWQ, i thot 6061 was top grade alum. guess 7075 is stronger?? it looks to be the same design as the old one, but new one is much stronger (?). good job of fabricating. ya shoulda got MD to help ya out, he coulda dug out some of that battleship iron he used to build his winch mount![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] not even an IBM will penetrate that. granted, a tad heavy.
6061 is probubly the most common aluminum made. It is every where, 6061 is butter compared to 7075. on paper 7075 compares to 4140 chrome moly steel, but much lighter. And very strong. Also costs about 3X as much as 6061. The old guards were made out of 3/32"(.093) thick stock and so soft, I believe it was either 5052 or annealed 6061. Very, very soft. The new ones are 1/4" (.250) stock and milled down in the center to 1/8 (.125) with a 1/4" wall around the outside to add even more strength. The origional was also formed and punched out of 1 piece of stock and the new ones are made from 4 pieces of stock and bolted together with 8 Stainless steel 8-32 socket head cap screws. The new ones took about 12 -15 hrs to design/machine.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:04 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Originally posted by: mywifesquad
I just posted the pictures of the damaged radiator and guard from the camping trip with BRW, PS01, RD, and others from the forum. I also posted one of the new and improved MWQ Racing Team guard. Not quite as serious as the OFC Racing Team but very close. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Looks good[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If I was to name my racing team, it would be something like: 3 not so fast girlies[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Girls kick but[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], or Stay away OFC[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Thanks.

MWQ Racing doesnt really exist, but in the minds of the spinners. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
(that statement is to assure the owners/moderators of this site that I am not a company trying to sneak free advertising under the radar here. Pretty sure that is already known, but just want to make sure)

How about 3 Adorable Girls Racing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

You dont want OFC near your girls?? Why? LOL. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
ya know, it could be one of those urban myths MD, but i thot leaving ign. on is hard on something, that's why they have AUX setting. I think it's the alternator that it's tough on. c'mon creator, jump in here, yer the resident mechanic! but yer making the vehicle think it's in the run position, so everything is on, instead of just drawing the power you need from the battery.

Urban myth?? No.. In the good 'ol days vehicles had ignition points (remember them?) It was not a good idea to leave the ignition switch to the "on" position because the points would arc back and forth and do unwanted damage to the contacts.

Now, you will be activating the glow plug controller which turns on your glow plugs but after just a couple of seconds (because it's warm- you just drove it remember) the controller will turn them off. All that will happen is they will cycle another time unnecessarily causing wear to the tips. Sometimes if your diesel starts hard when cold, you will find that some of the tips of the glow plugs have broken off. Can you guess where they go?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Bottom line- turn it backwards to the accessory position which was meant just for this use. You also could move the power wire from the radio to a hot lead that is always on but you would have to turn off the radio every time you stop which could be more of a pain than what's it's worth.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I used to love leaving a "charged" ignition condensor on the parts counter. No one can resist playing with it while it's sitting there until it shocks the cr@p out of 'em[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I've seen MWQ's millwork up close. I must say, beautiful. I should have him make something...so I can hang it on my wall. LOL. There's just something about a nice shiny piece of milled aluminum.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel