Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: powerstroke01
Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

Told you...next time...park INTO the wind (seaward). Or leave the turkey open. Not like anyone left the camp anyways. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Have you tried the air compressor to blow it out? Or it might block it more INTO the cover. Bet the track is packed up with sand.
Im a sand n00b. I think that even had we left it open it still would have gotten sand in there.
Im gonna try and mess with it tomorow and see if i cant get it to work.
And how much air do we run in the trucks on the sand? That's right...30psi. And that's without a heavy trailer. Heavy trailer we drop to 20psi. And run low range. Speed limit is 15MPH anyways. At least the trailer seemed to be floating nicely. Of course it was only weighing like hmm 1100lbs?

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 06-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
You remember correctly[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm thinking of getting a 5th wheel. If I do, don't feel like taking the campershell on and off[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]everytime I want to back up to the trailer. But, I like a covered bed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Hear lately though, I've been thinking of getting a pull toy hauler. I'm sooooooooo confused[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
I'd go with the TAG over the 5th. Besides...I'm a weight ****. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] That way you can still put stuff in the bed of the truck. Wood, extra quad, fuel, whatever you need. With the 5er, that's taken up by the hitch. Not sure I'd want stuff bouncing around my hitch in the bed while towing.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Told you...next time...park INTO the wind (seaward). Or leave the turkey open. Not like anyone left the camp anyways. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Have you tried the air compressor to blow it out? Or it might block it more INTO the cover. Bet the track is packed up with sand.
Im a sand n00b. I think that even had we left it open it still would have gotten sand in there.
And how much air do we run in the trucks on the sand? That's right...30psi. And that's without a heavy trailer. Heavy trailer we drop to 20psi. And run low range. Speed limit is 15MPH anyways. At least the trailer seemed to be floating nicely. Of course it was only weighing like hmm 1100lbs?

Maybe that's why you are getting stuck. I run 12-15 in my burb AND trailer while going up the hill into the dunes at Gordon's . We don't park in the dust bowl like everyone else but get back into the dunes about 4-5 miles to set up camp. All by yourself baby![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

If you don't air down that much you will get stuck quickly out there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Not to mention 4 wheel low[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Whens lunch break? Im hungry.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

And i still dont see the difference between LO and HI4wd. I though it was just gear reduction??? At least thats how it is on the jeep.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboyRescue was around and i wanted his theory at the time. I didnt know if i would be here so it would have been pointless for me to ask connfuscious. sheesh Oh wait i coulda emailed ya.. DUH... ssorry man. next time your the goto guy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I was on a posting mission yesterday. hell i had over 100 myself and the spinzone probably had 500 or more
Yes I was around all day[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I was on a posting mission also. I had 120 for the day or something like that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Quad Patrol

[quote]

And how much air do we run in the trucks on the sand? That's right...30psi. And that's without a heavy trailer. Heavy trailer we drop to 20psi. And run low range. Speed limit is 15MPH anyways. At least the trailer seemed to be floating nicely[quote]

The big ticket is to get that trailer floating on the sand[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Have you ever watch someone struggling moving their trailer on the sand? They more often then not[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] haven't aired down the trailer tires[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] then it's just one big sled pushing loads of sand in front of the wheels[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Quad Patrol

And i still dont see the difference between LO and HI4wd. I though it was just gear reduction??? At least thats how it is on the jeep.
There's a big difference between the two[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] 4lo is a life saver[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Bad jewjew[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]4lo puts a lot of your torque to the ground[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Key is to keep the wheel from spinning.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Quad Patrol

I'd go with the TAG over the 5th. Besides...I'm a weight ****. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] That way you can still put stuff in the bed of the truck. Wood, extra quad, fuel, whatever you need. With the 5er, that's taken up by the hitch. Not sure I'd want stuff bouncing around my hitch in the bed while towing.
I've heard or read that somewhere before[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] about the weight ****[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Yes, those are the same points I keep thinking about, when I try to rationalize between the two. I just like the roomyness in a 5ver over a pull[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Plus all that weight over a ball and shaft just doesn't register right with me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: Trasher
Maybe that's why you are getting stuck. I run 12-15 in my burb AND trailer while going up the hill into the dunes at Gordon's . We don't park in the dust bowl like everyone else but get back into the dunes about 4-5 miles to set up camp. All by yourself baby![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

If you don't air down that much you will get stuck quickly out there[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
LJ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] got stuck up at 45 frnt/40 rear. Told him LOWER...but NO! So HE had to get pulled by a 6.0L GMC gasser.

Most of the people I know who tow onto the sand at Pismo (though it's a bit more packed and not as soft) run about 20psi (Karyn, mstrquad, Suzie & MD can elaborate more on what they run as I'm in a different situation.)

I've been running 12 front / 10 rear at Pismo in my trucks. 2WD though. That was fine in the Sonoma, but I'm thinking it's a bit low for the F-150. Taller sidewall, but still a P-rated tire. I think the sidewall is too soft for that. Maybe after we switch to LTs I can go back that low. Next time I'm thinking I'm going to run 15-20. The truck just felt like it was moving around on the sidewalls. The tracks were straight but the truck was twisting.

Drive 4-5 miles through the dunes at Pismo and you'll be out of the area. LOL. Beach is ummm let's see... 3-4 miles long (actually add a mile if you come in at Grand, instead of Pier.)

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel