Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide what truck to get

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide what truck to get

Hi guys me and my dad haven't been on the forum for a long time but it is time to drive I am deciding on a truck but i have no idea what to get so I need your honest opinions. I am looking at a a Ford f-150 extended cab 2001-2003 4x4 I am also looking at a regular cab 2001-2003 toyota tacoma 4x4 . I would like to get the ford for my new atv in a couple of years when I turn 18, but i am worried about the reliability on the ford. I seen the tacomas go up over 200,000 miles but can the 4 cyl tow a small trailer and a atv utility?

THANKS

RTBOY

Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

you would have to look up the GVWR for the specific year and engine of tacoma you were looking to get to know how much weight it can safely tow. i had quite a few fords before i started gettin the GM EMP discount and loved them... had a couple minor issues with each of them but nothing major (other than 2 blown torque converters in my f150 lightning with a huge list of mods, goes without saying I was putting a slight strain on the torquer converters.)
The 4 cyl in the toyota will get better gas mileage than the v6 or v8 you will get in the ford but wont be able to tow as much.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

rtboy,
you may be able to get a new truck for close to the price you are going to spend for a five year old used truck. Dodge in particular is selling brand new half ton pickup trucks for 50% off MSRP. A brand new truck with a <u>lifetime warranty</u> cost $14,000.

Given that the new trucks are so steeply discounted right now, used truck prices are also very very low. If you are going to buy, now is the time to do it. Used truck prices should be HALF what they were last year at this time. Keep that in mind when shopping and don't pay more than the truck is worth at current market value.

DV

Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I think my screen name speaks for itself! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like the FORD or Toyota...then seriously look at a new '08 FORD. With the release of the All New '09 F150, dealers are really trying to sell off the '08 inventory. Just saw a commercial where there is $7500 off in discounts for a new '08 F150. Not bad...

However...if you are looking at a Used FORD...then that is a good thing too. The FORD has a proven record of being very reliable. The modular engines (V6 and V8) go well into the 200k mark and just run great. One thing to think about is getting an "Oasis" report from your local friendly FORD dealer service dept. All you need is the VIN number. What this report tells you...is the history of work performed by the FORD dealer network. All warranty and service will be reported. That helps understand how the truck has performed and how reliable it really has been.

The Tacoma is a fine truck also. Just on the small side especially for the "coming" ATV. It will certainly tow a small trailer and ATV less than 1500lbs. Adding in a trailer to the price of the ATV is something to consider.

Also...with any used vehicle purchase...Please get a CarFax report! They do not cost much...but are sure valuable when looking to purchase used.

Good luck...

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Having owned 32 cars (I have an addiction of sorts), many of them Ford trucks, I feel I can speak to this subject with some expertise. I now own a 2007 Toyota Tundra and it is by far the most comfortable, reliable, and expensive truck I have ever owned. I have always like toyotas as they are very reliable, safe, get decent fuel mileage and have excellent resale value. I don't like the fact that they have been underpowered when it comes to towing......not so with my Tundra, though. 5.7L V8 and almost 400HP's! But we are talking used here.....I am certain that that model year ford 150 was very dangerous and just exploded on impact in a crash....check youtube and you should be able to find something on it. I had a friend with one and when he saw the video he couldn't sell it fast enough! Finally, as I have always told my kids, check insurance rates first....you will be surprised how that can shape your decision at your age! It could mean a difference of as much as $100/month!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

I'm on my 3rd consecutive (85, 93, '00) Ford F150 and I've had great luck with all of them...... my current is a 2000 F150 7700 Super Cab (extended cab for you Chevy guys) 5.4L and I love the thing..... I can get 18-20mpg if I putt-putt around, and keep it below 2500rpms on the highway.....

I plan on keeping it until it falls apart which to this point is not happening at all..... Only things replaced are the alternator, battery, differential cover, starter harness, and RH manifold gasket, and one of the vacuum valves for the 4x4 got clogged after one of the leads got torn and sucked in some debris, and I had to replace the same ignition coil near the firewall that every F150 seems to need, and I broke a tie-rod slamming into a wicked railroad crossing..... all of those are pretty common for F150s in general..... oh yeah and now my muffler has a hole in it, so the exhaust will be next

But that is not bad for 7 years and 100,000 miles - most of those things were cheap to fix and some was warranty work - it looks great, and runs like a top.........I'm sure my next truck will be another F150, probably just newer.....

I have nothing against any other brands, I've owned a lot of Chevy and Chrysler products too.... I just got hooked on Ford trucks and have been buying them ever since....

Old 10-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Just to answer the, "can it tow it", question. I had an 85 Nissan 4x4 with a 4 cylinder. I pulled a small 3 wide x 4 long x 3 deep trailer full of wet firewood with the back of the truck loaded with wet firewood. It got up and down the hills in VT, and NH without a problem. Had to use the shift quite a bit but it happily screamed along. That was with a carb. The Nissan and Toyota trucks are very reliable. My Nissan had 147, 000 miles on it when I traded it in for something with more seating. Other than the driver's seat wincing under my (at the time) 250 lbs. I only had one non-maintenance item go wrong. It cost $75 other than the normal stuff and it didn't burn any oil. The newer 4 cylinders have a lot more power than my 2.4 carb model had.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I seen the tacomas go up over 200,000 miles but can the 4 cyl tow a small trailer and a atv utility? </end quote></div>

My friend tows his ATV behind a Toyta Camary with a sigle bed trailer. You can look up the Tacomas,s tow and weight capasity but im sure it will haul any ATV even with the 4 clyinder.

What I like about the Tacoma 4 cylinder is once the works done and your just riding around its not a gas pig like a full size 1/2 ton is even when empty.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Really, any of the trucks mentioned will get the job done. There are trade offs everywhere, you just need to decide what's important to you.

My best advice is to get the best truck that you can afford to pay cash for.

Quick Reply: Help me decide what truck to get