Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Truck. How bout yours?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot what truck you have.

GM had a huge problem with what they called the rack and rod for the ignition switch and the culprit was almost always too many keys on the key ring.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:26 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado. With the key in the ignition there are about 15 more keys, a key fob, a lightweight aluminum carabiner, and a Mag-Lite Solitaire (1 AAA battery) flashlight hanging from it. The flashlight at 0.8 ounces feels like the heaviest single thing on there, but not as heavy as all the keys. I've had the truck just a few months shy of 18 years and I only had that problem once that I can recall. It could be worse.

Both of my brothers have RAM pickups and my younger brother told me today that they're both in the shop. They will take long enough to fix that the dealer gave both of them loaner trucks. My brother said they aren't made for driving off-road. His truck has a bunch of links in the rear suspension and one got bent into the shape of a letter C, so it's not drivable. My older brother had a problem with his truck stalling out. The dealer replaced an air sensor and they thought it was fixed. Then it stalled out in the middle of a mud hole. The dealer replaced another kind of air sensor, and it still had problems. The truck needs 16 new spark plugs and wires (2 per cylinder). Some of the coils are cracked and need to be replaced too, maybe all of them. I don't know if it has one coil per cylinder or one for each spark plug, but the simple job of replacing the spark plugs ended up being a bigger job that will cost hundreds of dollars. At the rate I'm going it will be another 6 years or more until I need new spark plugs and my first tune up.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

I think the Chevy's that had the problem with heavy keys were older than your's.

My old '79 F-250 was an excellent truck for off-roading. My '11 Chevy is a POS when it comes to going off road. Non of the newer trucks were ever meant to take off road. They are grocery getters.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:34 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lower cabs are easier to get into, no climbing required like back in the old days. Lower beds are easier to load and unload too. Unfortunately for people wanting to go off-roading, that means the frame rails are lower between the axles. Trucks in the '70s had way more clearance and I could almost crawl around under one, instead of just squeezing in on a creeper.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Specta
I think the Chevy's that had the problem with heavy keys were older than your's.

My old '79 F-250 was an excellent truck for off-roading. My '11 Chevy is a POS when it comes to going off road. Non of the newer trucks were ever meant to take off road. They are grocery getters.

All my 4 X 4 trucks (91 Ranger, 99 F150, 14 F250) are all good off roaders. The Ranger is better in mud, but the F250 is better in snow.

The F350 dually w/o front wheel assist not so much...

Old 07-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Range Rover

Here is the truck and trailer I have. A Chevy Colorado ZR2, with a 14' Aluma trailer. Seems to work really well.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

One of my friends just bought a 2018 Chevy Colorado like yours.

Sharp looking truck.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice unit. When I bought my first aluminum trailer, I tried to get an 8 ft long deck snowmobile trailer to two my son and my ATV's. We ordered a load rite, which is what our local dealer carried, and a 10 foot deck model showed up. the manufacturer ran out of 8 foot models and had switched production over to jet skis by then and offered to sell it to me at the same price as the smaller one. So I took it thinking a 10 ft deck was the biggest thing I would ever need. Sure wish I have gone ahead and gotten a 12 ft or 16 ft now, some 20 years later. I will say however that I have gotten my money's worth out of it. I even tried to add a second axle and lengthen the deck 2 feet, but the factor would not sell me the parts once I told them what I wanted to do.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:53 AM
Range Rover

Here we are loaded for a trip.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice setup, Adrenaline. Good looking truck too.

Quick Reply: My Truck. How bout yours?