Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side loading trailer - where to put heavier quad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side loading trailer - where to put heavier quad?

Hi, I have a 2 place ATV88 side load trailer. If one quad is 200+ lbs than the other quad, should you place the heavy quad in the forward or rear position?? I just thought of this and was wondering if it made a difference. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not sure If your talking about your Wolverine and Trail Boss but according to this link they only have a 12lb differance. 2009 Yamaha Wolverine 450 Auto. 4X4 ATVs

If not.

If you have a truck it does not matter, but when I Use my Mini van with a trailer and tow my 700lb SP500 I like the trailer to do the work and keep the ATV back more so the van has less trailer tongue weight on its rear.

With my truck I put the ATV anywhere on the trailer.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I think mcordani is talking about the 500 Touring he is contemplating.

If that's the case I'd rather have the heavier weight supported by the tongue of the truck than on the tail of the trailer. If you put the heavier quad on the tail of the trailer I'd bet it will do a lot of wagging back and forth.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden

If that's the case I'd rather have the heavier weight supported by the tongue of the truck than on the tail of the trailer. If you put the heavier quad on the tail of the trailer I'd bet it will do a lot of wagging back and forth.

I'm not sure what you're towing with, but I'd assume your tongue can handle at least 500lbs

you'd want the majority of your weight over the trailer axle and between your trailer axle and hitch. too much weight on the rear of the trailer will be unstable and cause trailer wag like moose said.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Range Rover

Definitely put the heavier machine up front. I tow trailers daily and more weight in the back will cause the trailer to sway side to side running down the road and can also pull the back end of the towing vehicle up even if slightly it will decrease your traction and that is never good. But if only hauling one try to center the weight over the axle of the trailer. But when in doubt always put the weight to the front.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden

Thanks for the replys guys. Moose has it right. I am going to replace the Trail Boss with the 500 Touring. So the Touring would have 200+lbs on the Wolverine.

You guys make perfect sense. I have a Ford Explorer so it would definitly make sense to put the heavier weight toward the front. I can see how having it on the rear could cause problems. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ideally, you want your tongue weight to represent between 10% and 15% of the total trailer load. Shoot for 15% because some of that load is unspring weight in the axle and tires.

If you have a 400lb trailer, a 500 lb ATV, and a 700 lb ATV you want the tongue to be carrying about 150-180 lbs. If you load the heavier machine on the back, with most of its weight BEHIND the axle, your tongue will be way to light and that trailer will be VERY twisty behind you.

Experiment a little with specific mounting positions until you find some that put the machines at a place where the tongue is heavy, but not so heavy that it sags the rear suspension.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hiya-so what I'm getting is my Foreman 500 should go in front of husband's Rancher 420?

Old 02-23-2014, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's a 16'X6 1/2' flatbed w/folding rear ramp & b/c I'm installing the Mighty Tite system I've really only got 1 chance to get it right...

Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sowyourown
Hiya-so what I'm getting is my Foreman 500 should go in front of husband's Rancher 420?

careful guys.... I see a trick question here

Quick Reply: Side loading trailer - where to put heavier quad?