Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Question

Old 03-26-2018, 05:36 PM
Country Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Question

So I'm wondering if a body lift would look very different. If I were to put a 2in body lift in the rear and a 3in body lift in the front, would you be able to tell a difference? And the extra inch in front is to help even the front and back out.

Also, If I did the 2in and 3in lift, would it be alright to get 1-2 inch bigger tires than stock?

Thanks

Old 04-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you will destroy your cab trying to do that as the cab will be getting cranked down at a angle. Also the box will never line up. Unless you buy a good body lift they are just junk. Easier to just install the proper lift or spacers to level your veh.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen suspension lift kits where you can raise just one end, or raise one end more that the other, but Zrock is probably right about an uneven body lift.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on what kind of truck you have. Some leveling kits as they are called, actually only lift the front. I had one of those kits on my 99 Silverado Z71, I could fit tires one size bigger than stock with that lift, basically about 1"-1 1/2" taller. Was still a pretty tight fit, I trimmed the plastic air dam on the front bumper to give me a little extra clearance as well. On most trucks the rear sits slightly higher than the front. The leveling kit lifts the front to equal it out and let you fit a little bigger tires. You generally have lots of extra room in the rear, its the front that needs a boost.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Moto Psycho

I've heard about people using leveling kits just to change how their truck looks and not to run bigger tires. If the back is higher and you put something heavy enough in it, it will level itself out, but if it starts out level and you put the same weight in it the back will sit lower than the front. Either way, without an adjustable suspension it won't be level with and without the weight in the back and you have to choose one or the other.

If you are going to run bigger tires, a mechanical speedometer and odometer will both be off. If it's digital there may be a way to make them read right but I don't know how. I never knew anyone who did it.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Country Rider

Thanks for the replies. I had heard that by adding the higher lift in the front, you would both lift the truck and level it out. I guess I will have to do a bit more research

Old 04-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by YamahaMoto
Thanks for the replies. I had heard that by adding the higher lift in the front, you would both lift the truck and level it out. I guess I will have to do a bit more research
Yes they are using a leveling kit that goes on the front suspension. Not a body lift that goes between the frame and body.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Country Rider

Originally Posted by Zrock
Yes they are using a leveling kit that goes on the front suspension. Not a body lift that goes between the frame and body.
Thanks for replying. So would it work to put a typical leveling kit on the truck, and then a body lift?

Old 04-05-2018, 03:41 PM
Moto Psycho

Suspension lift kits raise the the whole truck and give you more ground clearance. Body lifts don't, but you can run bigger tires. Body lifts are cheaper, easier to install, and don't raise your center of gravity as bad. You can lift the both suspension and the body as much as you want, depending on your state laws. Lift Laws | Suspension Lift Laws By State

Old 04-05-2018, 04:06 PM
Country Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Suspension lift kits raise the the whole truck and give you more ground clearance. Body lifts don't, but you can run bigger tires. Body lifts are cheaper, easier to install, and don't raise your center of gravity as bad. You can lift the both suspension and the body as much as you want, depending on your state laws. Lift Laws | Suspension Lift Laws By State
Hey jumbo. So I was thinking of doing the body lift strictly because of pricing. I want to lift for looks but I didn't want to spend much money. Im glad you replied because I never knew there was a maximum (not that I would ever reach it).

My last question is does a leveling kit lift the shocks?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck Question