Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Question

Old 04-13-2018, 06:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=greg74;3391543]
Originally Posted by Dazeys
I also have AMP Research steps that come out when the door is opened.[/QUOTE
I've seen those type of steps, they're pretty cool. I like how they tuck out of the way when you don't need them.
I saw someone with regular steps drive too close to a big rock in another person's front yard and wreck the step. The side of the truck didn't hit, just the step. It looked like they would have been okay if they didn't have steps.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:51 PM
Moto Psycho

I saw an SUV yesterday that was lifted so high that the top of the wheel wells were about a foot above the top of the tires. I thought it was goofy looking and actually laughed out loud when I saw it. I wonder if they toss down a rope ladder to get in and out with?

I got excuses from 2 of my doctors today and may be getting out of jury duty. If I do have to go there, the nearest place I can legally park is a parking ramp a few blocks away at a different courthouse. I've been there several times and know my un-lifted truck fits in all levels of the parking ramp. If my truck was lifted and didn't fit in the ramp, there's a parking lot farther away that I would have to walk to court from. The jury pool is from 4 different counties, so there will probably be some people that never thought they would have to park in a parking ramp.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:05 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I saw an SUV yesterday that was lifted so high that the top of the wheel wells were about a foot above the top of the tires. I thought it was goofy looking and actually laughed out loud when I saw it. I wonder if they toss down a rope ladder to get in and out with?

I got excuses from 2 of my doctors today and may be getting out of jury duty. If I do have to go there, the nearest place I can legally park is a parking ramp a few blocks away at a different courthouse. I've been there several times and know my un-lifted truck fits in all levels of the parking ramp. If my truck was lifted and didn't fit in the ramp, there's a parking lot farther away that I would have to walk to court from. The jury pool is from 4 different counties, so there will probably be some people that never thought they would have to park in a parking ramp.
LOL.. we have a few trucks like that around here. One really makes me laugh huge lift and huge/wide tires on huge rims. Looks like it should be the show truck for walmart..

Old 05-27-2018, 12:33 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by Zrock
LOL.. we have a few trucks like that around here. One really makes me laugh huge lift and huge/wide tires on huge rims. Looks like it should be the show truck for walmart..
And it's probably never gone through anything as bad as a mud puddle. Some people like to lift their truck 12" and put big mud tires over a foot wide on it, but wouldn't dare take it off-road. All that money and the bad gas mileage and crappy handling that go with it, just for looks.

I had a stock '79 Dodge Ramcharger that I took through a bunch of Louisiana mud that most people wouldn't even try. I took it down some tank trails at Fort Polk. One place there were 2 big ruts and it was as flat as a paved road between them. Either tanks, self-propelled artillery, or APCs bottomed out when they drove through it. Through skill or luck I made it through that part. A lot of times the driver is more important than the vehicle. If I can remember I'll post a picture later of a place I did get stuck.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I miss the point of lifting trucks so high. The only way you gain clearance is bigger diameter tires. Differential is going to hit first. Also, wheels with excessive offset putting the tires outside the fenders by a foot! Gotta raise heck with wheel bearings, etc.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:39 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by hydrex
I miss the point of lifting trucks so high. The only way you gain clearance is bigger diameter tires. Differential is going to hit first. Also, wheels with excessive offset putting the tires outside the fenders by a foot! Gotta raise heck with wheel bearings, etc.
You're absolutely right. One of the highest, if not the very highest lifted truck ever I saw on the road had regular size tires, but they looked really small on that truck. Huge lift with no extra ground clearance. What's the point? With big fat tires that are offset for clearance, wheel bearings and a lot of other parts have extra wear and tear, and can fail at any moment. Bye-bye dependability.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All good points, however they don't apply to me. I have an auto repair shop so new wheel bearing take me about 1/2 hour to install and I get parts super cheap. I work for a tribe that has their own fuel station. I get fuel at a huge discount.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Country Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
You're absolutely right. One of the highest, if not the very highest lifted truck ever I saw on the road had regular size tires, but they looked really small on that truck. Huge lift with no extra ground clearance. What's the point? With big fat tires that are offset for clearance, wheel bearings and a lot of other parts have extra wear and tear, and can fail at any moment. Bye-bye dependability.
Ive seen a few trucks like that.

Im actually going to look at a lifted truck tomorrow.

Pic.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by Dazeys
All good points, however they don't apply to me. I have an auto repair shop so new wheel bearing take me about 1/2 hour to install and I get parts super cheap. I work for a tribe that has their own fuel station. I get fuel at a huge discount.
I like to drive them, not work on them. But it's like anything else. If you have the money, you get what you want. You're not buying it for anyone else.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Country Rider

Turns out that lifted truck was a dud (like a lot of them). Brakes were shot, needs a new exhaust, steering was terrible, would have to be fixed and realigned, looks like someone tried to o their own pinion on half the truck and failed, door handle and arm rest were mussing, and a few more things. The thing would have cost me more money to fix it than buy it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck Question