Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question

Polaris stuff is expensive though.

Old 07-23-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default Newbie question

Originally posted by: Beecam
Polaris stuff is expensive though.

Could you be a little more specific? Actually, the msrp is the same for the 500 Vinson as the 500 Sportsman. But with the sportsman, you will get Independent rear suspension, a little more clearance, better stock tires, and a higher towing capacity. I recommend you at least give one a try.

Old 07-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Newbie question

Check out the Arctic Cat 500.It has the same motor as the Vinson but with irs.It will definetly take any abuse you can give it on the farm and get you through just about any mud you can find.

Old 07-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Newbie question

Thing is though at the suzuki dealers they will hagle with you a lot and come down on price
Is it this way at the polaris delaers, i heard them and artic cat where kinds set.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Newbie question

It certainly won't hurt you to try. Polaris is what we like, and that's why I recommend them. I know guys that like their Arctic Cats, and thats ok too. Give em both a ride. It's best to do your homework before you go to the dealer. Research the machines and stuff on them you like. Find out the best prices on the internet. Take those with you when you go to the dealer. There is a dealer in Chattanooga, Tennessee that has excellent prices on all the Polaris models. It think it's southernpowersports, or southern motorsports. Something like that. Do a search on yahoo, polaris atv Chattanooga. They have the prices listed for their inventory.

An informed buyer is always the best one, in my book.

Good luck

Scott

Old 07-23-2003, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Newbie question

Im gonna give polarisis a ride. Everyone seems to like them but everyone seems to have a good word for the vinson to.

Old 07-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Newbie question

Looks like there all automatic?

Old 07-24-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Newbie question

The Sportsmans are all automatic, with a high and a low gear. When you are gonna pull something, go over an obstacle where you need low end torque, going through deep mud, climb steep hills, that sort of thing. You just shift into low, then when you're clear, shift back in high. It's pretty simple, really.

The Predator is the Polaris sport quad, it's a five speed. It doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for though. I own a Pred, and I love it. You really wouldn't regret owning a 500 Sportsman, they are very fine machines.

Old 07-24-2003, 02:08 AM
Range Rover
Default Newbie question

Originally posted by: vhcat400i
Check out the Arctic Cat 500.It has the same motor as the Vinson but with irs.It will definetly take any abuse you can give it on the farm and get you through just about any mud you can find.
Text
Those Cat 500 are dogs. They use a smaller carb, have less valver=less power, just because they are the same displacement, I am ashamed to here A Cat 500 and Vinson 500 in the same sentence. As for IRS, what a joke. Straight axles are less U-joints, snap rings, needle bearings, CV Boots and headaches.
Ask someones who know anything about trucks and jeeps(not saying ido) and theyll say IFS and IRS are better left on soccer moms sport ute. As for Polaris, If I wanted a automatic work or mud machine, well I wouldnt. The 700 rips until you go muddin and that belt staarts a slippin. I saw something funny on another thread concerning ATV theft"the best anti-theft device is putting Polaris stickers on my quad, nobody would want it"

Old 07-24-2003, 04:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Newbie question

First things first. My family has had quads for almost all my life. I thought i would never buy an automatic atv too. But then my dad bought a sportsman and boy did that change my mind. After driving the sportsman through the woods and on the trails I told myself I would never buy a manual shift again. It was just plain easier to use and handle and never had to guess what gear u were in. Automatic belt transmissions have been used in snowmobiles and atvs for decades and are very reliable.(manual transmissions are also very reliable) So don't let them scare u. And as for belts slipping and all that stuff, I have never and i mean never had my belt slip in water. I was just out on the trails last weekend and was in a mudhole with water up to my seat. I was playing in it for i would say a half hour and even had to get off my atv and let it sit so i could hook up a winch. Jumped back on and out i came, no belt slipping at all. And i do this all the time so its not a fluke. Now as to what to buy, it all depends on what u are going to do with it. I found Polaris to be best for me because of awesome ground clearance, true 4-wheel drive (not any of that 3.5 crap like on the vinson, and believe me it makes a huge difference), irs suspension, great stock tires, and a reasonalby strong motor. Now lets get another thing straight, i am not a big polaris nut. I only like the atvs, and wouldn't buy any snowmobile or watercraft with a polaris sticker on it. Just so happens i think there atvs have the right features for me. Only other atv i would maybe consider would be the new Arctic Cat 650

Quick Reply: Newbie question