Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question

[quote]
Originally posted by: JactUpVinson
Originally posted by: vhcat400i
As for Polaris, If I wanted a automatic work or mud machine, well I wouldnt. The 700 rips until you go muddin and that belt staarts a slippin. I saw something funny on another thread concerning ATV theft"the best anti-theft device is putting Polaris stickers on my quad, nobody would want it"

So we're back to problem with crappy advice. We have 3 Sportsmans. 8000 miles in 15 months. Know how many times we slipped a belt??? NEVER. If you use low gear when you're supposed to, and unless you do something real silly, you will not slip the belt. This guy is looking for advice about dfferent machines. I've offered him some about a Sportsman. You've offered yours about the Vinson. You like your crappy jap quad, then fine. But don't rip on a machine you neither own, or that you obviously don't know enough about.

You should stick to advice about your own machine.

Old 07-24-2003, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Newbie question

Well I gotta have a manual. I cant stand automatics so that takes polaris out of the picture. Although Im still gonna test ride an autmatic but im about sure i will not like it.

Old 07-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Newbie question

If your hung up on a manual tranny I would recomend trying an artic cat 03 500i manual. Same engine and carb as the vinson. The cats are slower cause the're heavier built though. For utility work and rough trail ridding you can't beat a machine with independant rear suspension. If you are more concerned with power slidding around corners go with a straight axle. The bs from some people about autos having belt slipping problems all the time is just that, bs.

Old 07-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Newbie question

I would rather have a higher top speed.

Old 07-24-2003, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Newbie question

I agree with the guy talking about how guys who mud there trucks dont like IFS or IRS. I own a jeep cj-7 with 32" tires and mud it ALOT and love having a solid front axle, less moving parts means less maintenace in my opinion. cj-joints can get expensive if you get big tires and mud it. I saw get one with a solid rear axle, you will get high centered on it in the mud but get some better tires and just haul through the mud or something, I got a 2003 big bear 4x4 and I hardly ever get stuck and I really dotn think my bear rides all that bad considering what I hear about its suspension, but i did come from a 3wheeler with only front suspension [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2003, 06:39 PM
Range Rover
Default Newbie question

Quote from PURPLESCREAMER "so i could pull out my winch"

I agree that all autos do not have belt slippage, but what wannabe mudders dont understand is manual allow the riders to select what RPM the engine runs at with different gear ratios, Autos on the hand change gear ratio contrasting the engine RPM. Take the Big Bears, they are a very solid machine, no ***** IRS of auto, and have stump pullin 1 and 2 gear (Predator03 i owned one so i can give accurate advice) Yeah the Vinson and Big Bear is Jap engineered but so is the Grizz, Rincon, Prairie which will eat Sportsmans and Raptor YFZ shees Z's will s%*t out a Predator. Dont get me started on this japjunk stuff, I like buying American as much as the next guy but you know this guy has Japjunk sittin in his driveway, has a Sony TV in his living room, and is on a Jap computer so what the h#@l can we do. And with that 3.5 4x4 thing all I gotta do is tap the front brake and it locks them up. Hey I have a Warn on the Vinson too, but it usually for pullin my buddies Polaris out

Old 07-24-2003, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Newbie question

lol, I can honestly say that my winch has pulled my self out many many times, I go through EVERYTHING i see believe me, ive sunk my 4wheeler up to the handlebars accdently and couldnt keep the bigbear running and the winch pulled me out and didnt drain my batter to my suprise, I dont have the stupid solenoid so I can use my winch when my wheeler isnt running but ya I actually have ridden with only one polaris and that was for about 30 minutes and nothing went wrong with his, but now that same kid is buying a 400ex I didn't ask why

Old 07-24-2003, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Newbie question

Originally posted by: JactUpVinson

Autos on the hand change gear ratio contrasting the engine RPM.
im not sure if ur talking about trucks or quads. but with quads the only trannies that shift are rubicon and rincon. so u dont know what ur talkin about.

Old 07-24-2003, 11:05 PM
Range Rover
Default Newbie question

Yeah I know Hondas can either be used in fully automatic our rider select using your thumb, which actually is a pretty good idea because you are in control of the gear ratio, they actually have a automotive style tranny with gears and chain(probably of a Civic[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) while most other autos use a constant velocity tranny that does not have gears, rather a belt and a pulley that changes circumference constantly depending on engine RPM which sucks. So I think I just worded it wrong, but i probably still dont what the hell im talkin about[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. THanx for pointing that out.

Old 07-25-2003, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Newbie question

JACTUPVINSON,You need to lighten up a little.Beecam asked for a little advise and you turn it into a slamming match.Everyone has an opinion and are intitled to it. Beecam,My advice is to go and check all the manual machines on the market and decide for yourself.It is you that has to ride whatever you choose.And what ever you might decide,enjoy.

Quick Reply: Newbie question