Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Prairie -vs- Vinson.......

Old 11-07-2003, 08:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie -vs- Vinson.......

I'm going to buy an ATV in the next couple weeks.... I've read alot about various 4x4 ATV's, and have narrowed my search down to two utils... The Prairie and the Vinson... Anyone know, or have any links that compare the two together? Which one handles better? I know the Prairie has a bigger motor, but how much of that power is unused most of the time? I was leaning towards the Prairie till I read a few articles on the Vinson, and how it was the top of the 500 class...but how does the 500's compare to the big bore 650+ class bikes?

Thanks for any input.. this is a cool forum!!

Old 11-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

I recently sold my yam. raptor to purchase a 4x4 model and I am facing the same dilema. From what I have read both quads handle fairly sporty but the prarie definately has the edge power wise. The 5 speed manual vinson is quicker then the belt vinson but some owners have had problems with it. I think the vinson is much nicer looking than the prarie (or twinpeaks). I am waiting to see if there will be a 2004 manual vinson before making my purchase. One dealer told me thier will be a manual for 2004 and the other said no. If suzuki does not make a 2004 manual that would tell me that thier is a problem with it and I will probaly try to get over the looks of the prarie and purchase it.

Old 11-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the prairie beat everything they put it up against in the atv magazine!!

Old 11-07-2003, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

As for th Prairie I can give you a little info. Overall I do like mine and have not had any problems with it at all. As for the power, it does have a TON but you are right, it is RARE I use it all. I have tapped it a few times pulling VERY large items (over the weigh limit I'm sure) but I cant say I even used all the power then. I always lost traction long before I ran out horses.
I LOVE the idea of a 5 speed and wish The Kaw would offer that but.....
As for a sport liek ride, it is not bad. I also have a Z400 so MY idea of a sporty ride is a LOT different than some others. Both the Suz. and Kaw are BIG and solid machines and neither will really handle like a sport quad but for what they are they do a decent job.
Good luck!!!

Old 11-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Just get a zuki twin peaks. It's a little of each lol.

Old 11-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Vinson... Vinson... Vinson.... Thats Just My 2 Cents.

Old 11-12-2003, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider

If you get aVinson get a manual. Otherwise go with the Prarie.

Old 11-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Get the Prarie

Old 11-13-2003, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

For one your trying to compare a 650cc., to a 500cc and besides that i would say go with the praire for overall performance, power, and handleing, you cant go wrong

Old 11-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

I have had the chance to drive both atv's. As far as seating position they are pretty well the same. The ride quality was pretty well the same but the Kawi seems to soak up the bumps better. The thing that will keep me from buying a big bore atv is definitely the terrible fuel economy. The Vinson is great on fuel, where as the Kawi is very bad. It is true that I have only owned 400cc atv's that seem to run for ever on 10 dollars worth of gas. I'm just not use to having to watch my fuel gauge.

True story: My buddy on his 650 Kawi and I went out for the morning a few weeks back. We both gassed at the same time and drove the same distance. Where ever I climbed a hill he did the same as well as spinning around, etc. My point being we drove equally hard. My fuel gauge after 4 hrs just started to fall below the full mark while his only had 1/4 of a tank left. He told me that he can literaly see the bars on the fuel gauge disappear. I do realize that his atv is heavier and is feeding a big twin but bad gas mileage is still bad gas mileage. The atv is a blast to drive but a little thirsty for my liking. So if this is a problem for you then maybe the Vinson might be better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prairie -vs- Vinson.......