Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Here's what I want in a utility quad. What are some recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's what I want in a utility quad. What are some recommendations?

I posted this on "buying an ATV" and thought I would get a little input here...I've gotten Kodiak and Eiger as the most popular choices.

Had a 91 Warrior years ago and just recently sold a 99 Polaris Sport 400 2 stroker. Now looking for more of a utility quad that has some sport feel. (Can these utilities catch just a little air safely?) I read the reviews on www.atvtv.com already.

Ideally, here's what I want:

Probably pre-owned, as want to try to stay within 4-5K. (Less is better. I haven't shopped yet, so if I can get a decent quad for 3K I will definitaly consider it!)

4WD selectable

Prefer auto with engine braking a must! What goes up 4000ft must come down! (Would consider a manual tranny)

Eventually would like to have a winch.

400-500cc is adequate (5'9" about 175)

Want to haul enough gear for an overnight camp trip.

Would prefer the ideal "sport utility" feel vs. a huge, bulky, sluggish machine.

Is 50-60MPH reasonable?

And lighter the better, right?

Thanks in advance for all opinions. If you could include the "whys" and a model year if used...

Old 01-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

You want fries with that how about supersizeing? Man you ask for alot. I have the 04 Kodiak450 but I think that it is out of the price range you want but it seems to fit every thing else. What about the Wolverine? Have you looked into that, it has been offered longer and might fit what you are looking for, except isnt it a full time 4x4? If was not the price issue I beleive the Kodiak fits the bill to a tee. Over 400 cc and auto, deffiantly has some get up and go even has a locker for the sticky stuff. Check around and see if you can find some used 03 laying around.

Old 01-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

One other thing, as for the air. I took a bank alittle faster then I should of and man I wish I would of had a picture, soaked it right up and never let off the throttle.AlaskaBoy,

Old 01-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

What you have AlaskaBoy is probably my ideal setup also, looking at your sig. I will more than likely keep my eye open for a Kodiak or an Eiger. Both I think are overrall the best fit. I agree, we all want our dream quad. The Wolv was mentioned, but has limited rack space and I don't want full-time 4WD for a few reasons. It is basically a 4WD Warrior.

We always want our dream something. I used to be in the gun industry and everybody coming in wanted something small, reliable, cheap, low recoil, high capacity, plenty of stopping power, easy to conceal, & have a lot of different holster options for concealment! (And wanted you to clean it for them after you let them shoot it for free at your range.)

Old 01-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about that, If I knew you felt that way, I would of cleaned the gun myself. HAHA. Actually, the Kodiak450 fits me well, I was alittle apprhensive to go with a solid axle at first but it was not that big of deal. The ride is stiffer then my old King Quad as it was IRS but the Kodiak is all around a bigger machine and I feel like I am sitting on something rather sitting in. The power is awesome and the down hill braking is the best, I went down somehills that I used to dred on my old one and the bike putted on down the hill and I was able to actually see the suroundings rather then sliding down at a high rate of skidding. I hope you can find one. AlaskaBoy.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

I am new to atv's and I just bought a 2004 Kodiak otd for under 6k with 2 helmets tax and reg. could have beat em up a little more but hey they have to make something too. Only have 9mi on it so far but I love it, 4x4 auto, couldn't see the extra for the 450 but i don't think I would need it. Just thought I'd give you my two cents. Hope it helps.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

Kodiaks are great machines! If you are looking for a used one, try to look for a 00-02 Kodiak. They have both Hi and Low range and selectable 4WD. They also have rear disk brakes. Might be hard to find. Good Luck.

Old 01-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

You have VERY similar needs to mine....except for that flying the ATV thing. I'll save that for my Cessna! I had things narrowed right down to the Kodiak 450. It was what I thought the perfect machine....except for 1 thing....Independent Rear Suspension. I had to have it. Then I saw the Polaris 400 Sportsman. That was all it took! Engine Braking is NOT standard on the 400 as it is on the 500 but it can be added as an accessory. I took it home!

True All Wheel Drive shift on the fly. When the rears slip, BOTH fronts are locked together and kick in immediately. No buttons to hold in, no stopping and losing momentum. You definitely should consider one. I just bought mine a couple weeks ago and the promo in my area, the Warn 2.5ci is free!

Old 01-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider

I think you would be happy with a Kodiak 400 or 450, or the honda 400 AT. The 450 Honda is a little sluggish and really likes the ground. Good for climbing stability but bad for flying!!

Old 01-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Range Rover

I have the 04' Kodiak 450 as well and I love the machine I bought it back in June and have put a ton of hours on it and it has been a great quad for me I also have the Warn 2.5 winch which was free when I got the quad. Man I love the thing. My next one will be the Grizz I think. In my opinon you can't go wrong with Yamaha but that is just my opinon because I have never had any issues with them. The 450 also comes with engine breaking which works very well. all my buddies seem to love my quad. Just my 2 cents [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Kevin

Quick Reply: Here's what I want in a utility quad. What are some recommendations?