Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??

true but.....

You dont see hummers out running with the real OHV's.

Tough truck and real truck competitions are full of open class vehicles but you never see hummers involved.

Why is that?

They just cant do everything build OHV's can.

Stock yes, they are great but who runs their rigs stock?

And remember, we are talking about the real hummer, not the wannabe H2

Old 03-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KatyBirdChaser
true but.....

You dont see hummers out running with the real OHV's.

Tough truck and real truck competitions are full of open class vehicles but you never see hummers involved.

Why is that?

They just cant do everything build OHV's can.

Stock yes, they are great but who runs their rigs stock?

And remember, we are talking about the real hummer, not the wannabe H2
First I did say Humvee "1"! Second, how many people have STOCK 4x4 vehicles as compared to modified????? They may add tires or stuff to make it look good, but its FACT bro, the Humvee is quite the 4x4 when compared to other vehicles, even some modified ones!!! Point is you can buy BOTH off the showrrom floor!

Old 03-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

I think that I made a terrible mistake when I got rid of my Polaris SP500 and bought a Honda Rubicon. I likle my Honda and it has never let me down in the 18 months that I have had it but I must say that the Polaris was a much better built machine. I can't pull loads now like I used to with my Polaris. The Polaris IRS was much more stable and didn't squat under heavy pulling conditions like the Rubicon does. Generally, I think the Polaris was a better build and much stronger utility ATV. I'm going to sell my Rubicon to my neighbor and buy an ATP soon. This ain't brand loyalty or anything like that - just an old farmer who knows a good workhorse when I see one. I think the Rubicon is a sissy-boy's workhorse.

Old 03-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have a polaris 700 and you can't fool me about your sportsman 500 squating.I had a foreman 450 and I think you could haul more on the rear rack on it than the sp 500,the honda rear ends are stiff and ride likean old buggy but they will haul lots of weight.the atp looks like it would haul alot with its solid rear end.Polaris ebs sucks they need to make all 4 wheels engage , I would hate to go down a hill with a trailer hooked up to my 700 with polaris's ebs [scary].

Old 03-14-2004, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Just a little practical farm experience:

The towing abilities of any quad are pretty miniscule compared to most any other farm vehicle. If you think of it as a glorified dirt bike, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you think of it as a smaller jeep, you'll be disappointed. Nor can they control much of a load - it's more than just getting a loaded trailer moving, you gotta turn and stop, too. If you don't, the results can be painful.

IRS vs live axle - The IRS machines are good enough today that I just couldn't see buying a live axle for work if the ground is rough. Even if you don't get hung up, my last live axle quad just beat me to death riding down a rocky trail. My IRS Arctic Cat is a cadillac in comparison. There's a fatigue factor - if you're fighting the machine, you don't work so well when you get there.

IRS squatting under a load - if you've properly loaded a trailer, there shouldn't be much tongue weight. If you haven't, then you need to repack your trailer, not change your rear suspension. Too much tongue weight will leverage weight off of the front wheels on even a live axle quad, which means you lose steering ability, without much warning. With a heavy load behind, that can lead to real trouble.

I was looking for a quad to get me across my hilly/rocky/hardwood forest farm, to haul firewood and tools. Ended up with an Arctic Cat 500i with 5 spd manual transmission, and have never regretted the choice. Best ground clearance, torquey engine, manual transmission, and not a lot of fancy electronics to crap out. Had it two years, 900 miles, hauled a lot of trailers loaded with cut hardwood over some pretty rough trails, and it's still going strong. And the IRS hasn't given me a moment's problem.

Old 03-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

I think arctic cats are great,I have the 2001 400 the things a mountain goat its a better work machine than my polaris 700.My 400 has the semi ebs rear end works great.

Old 03-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: markie
I think arctic cats are great,I have the 2001 400 the things a mountain goat its a better work machine than my polaris 700.My 400 has the semi ebs rear end works great.
How did Artic Cat get into the mix??? Last I remembered it was between Honda and Polaris and Polaris will DEFINATELY outwork the Cats!

Old 03-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

buy a honda. It wont ride as smooth as a polaris thats for sure. However, 10 years from now you will still be using the Honda and most likely have only spent money for normal maintenace.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Why has nobody mentioned the "Polaris: True four wheel drive myth"?

When in 4x4 mode, the front tires on a Polaris only engage if the back wheels slip, and when the back wheels stop slipping, the front ones disengage. Now, I realize that the 4x4 system on the Hondas is only limited slip, 3 1/2 wheel drive but it would seem to me that when when you want to shift to 4x4 that "absolute" 3 1/2 wheel drive would be better than "only if my back tires slip 4 wheel drive", especially for towing.

Just my opinion, though....

Old 03-26-2004, 01:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider

No what a second there buddy. By "True 4wd", that means that ALL 4 tires spin, not the rear and 1 of the fronts, then the other front. That is what is meant by "True 4wd" The Polaris uses an "On demand AWD", which means that when the rear tires slip 1/5 more than the front, then the fronts engage. This system has worked very well for many years. It reduces steering effort and unnessacery stress on the drivetrain

Quick Reply: Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??