Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Honcho 4x4???

Old 05-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure you got email address

Old 06-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TrailBlazerguy250
any pics of these things ?
My Honcho, with the orig paint, I have two.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honcho 4 Wheel Chain Drive

Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default honcho

Originally Posted by webmusher
My Honcho, with the orig paint, I have two.
hey, webmusher would it be possible to tell what belt this machine takes? a comet # or a replacement you have used. mine has the kohler 8 hp. thanks for your help.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Webmusher,

Wow, you have 2? I acquired one over a year ago and I'm sloooowly rebuilding it. It was in rough shape when I got it, comet transmission was completely disassembled with a sheared output shaft, among other problems. One thing I'm a little shy on is the band brake. I have the band itself and the drum on the transmission that it compresses on. BUT I have no other linkages and I do not know how it was connected to the brake cable. Could I get a picture of your brake, if it is functioning?

RailtheCorners,

I did some rebuilding of the transmission and I kept notes of the bearings, etc. When I get home, I'll post what I have, including the drive belt.

I'll have to re-post the pictures of my Honcho when I picked it up. It looks sad with the Rear to Front drive chain laying on the ground.

Regards..
Scannit

Old 07-04-2013, 11:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I see how it works now! It has a 2nd super long chain that connects the front drive axle to the back power axle. So its a True 4wd. Like riding a ATV with diff lock on at all times. Must of been tuff to steer.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
I see how it works now! It has a 2nd super long chain that connects the front drive axle to the back power axle. So its a True 4wd. Like riding a ATV with diff lock on at all times. Must of been tuff to steer.
TLC, The rear axle is solid but the front axle has a differential:

The Sprocket is connected via the bolts labeled 6 in the diagram.
When I get mine back together, I'll let you know how the steering is.

Scannit

Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

RailtheCorners,

You had asked about the drive belt. Mine has the markings:
SALSBURY
KEVLAR ARAMID REINFORCEMENT

I suspect this is the common belt because I also found it mentioned in this link on the ATVCONNECTION forums from member IKSGIZA..

For other info I have:
- AXEL bearings are FAFNIR RA100RRB
- The CUP RETAINERS that hold the Axel bearings to the frame are 52-MST-C2, a John Deere part from 1975 - 1982. Hopefully you can find New Old Stock.
- The Front Differential (there are 2 types I've seen) can be a Peerless 100-021.. I'll have to do some more research on the other type of differential, but I believe it is a Comet.
- Oil Seals for the 1" Comet transmission shafts is SKF 9878 (1" inner, 1.5" outer, .25" thickness)
- Transmission Input/Output drive (1" shaft) bearings SPX 6207 (PEER 6207)

Most of the seals and bearings can be found at mcmaster.com, a great mechanical supply house.

Disclaimer, take measurements of your bearings/seals with a dial caliper and compare to the description from the supply house you are ordering from. Some of the ones I ordered are listed as metric, but fit the American standard parts. Please do not order blindly from my listing, it is only a guide. I tried to make good notes, but that depended on how much alcohol I may have consumed at the time.

One other recommendation. Put your Honcho front end up on jack stands and spin the front wheels in opposite directions. Check the operation of the differential. I ran into 2 diffs that were caked on the inside and did not work properly, the front shaft was locked tight. I had to open up the Diffs, scrape out the mud and re-pack with new grease.

Picts to follow... G'd nite...

Old 11-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honcho rebuild mostly Complete!

I just wanted to share some photos of the result of 2 years of off and on work. Mostly done, it does run, even with the run flat tires (dry rotted, probably original). I need to replace the brake lever and I want to replace the twist throttle with a thumb throttle, but it all works, including the added winch and snow plow. I hope these links work. I tried to insert photos, but I guess I got something wrong....

Ready For Snow Photo by scannit | Photobucket

Mostly Done Photo by scannit | Photobucket

Honcho_scaled_zps60902059.jpg Photo by scannit | Photobucket
As bought

Regards..
Mike

Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was wondering if anyone had one of the honcho's for sale cheap?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honcho 4x4???