Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Honda Rincon vs. Kawa P-700

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rincon vs. Kawa P-700

Compare the two. I am interested in both

Old 03-14-2004, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the kawi ins in everything but ground clearance and handleing

Old 03-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

wait for the 750 kawi with IRS.

Old 03-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the P700 for its reliability and performance. The Rincon is equiped with a very low tech engine comparable to ATVs of the 1970's with a single cylinder cam in block engine equiped with push rods. The P700 has a twin cylinder with over head cams which is very similar to exotic Italian Ducati motorcycle engines. Throttle response is equal and quick on the P700. On the Rincon throttle response is equivalent to its engines technology which is slow and smooth. The P700 is equiped with dual ventiled cross drilled disque brakes in front and 7 sealed disques brake system in the rear that works with clutch which is very performant. The Rincon is equiped with two ventiled disque brakes in front and......drum brakes in the back which are the cheapest and worst braking system an ATV can have. As for the transmissions, the P700 is equiped with a simple belt drive system that is easy and cheap to maintain. The Rincon is equiped with a transmission that can't be maintain (except for oil change) or fixed, if there is a problem with it, it has to be completly changed. So far my dealer which is also a Honda dealer, has changed three transmissions on the Rincons and two on Rancher400 which are equiped with the same automatic transmission. One Rancher owner had no guarantee left, thus after installing a new transmission and... 3000CAN$, he had his transmission problem fixed. A belt on a P700 is about 100$. The dealer said the Honda Foreman of the 90's used to be bullet proof, but so far the Rincon is on a bad start. As for after market performance mods, except for a dynojet kit and an exhaust system, nothing is available for the Rincon. For the P700, you can have everything you want (cams, clutch kits, exhausts and headers,suspension upgraded, air ram system),even an aftermarket Dyna FS CDI at the end of the month will be available.

Old 03-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Oh! I forgot, if you drive a little rough, you will be better off with a straight rear axle like on the P700. It is strong and can take a lots of abuse (also excellent for taking a curve or inclined terrain because the rear axle is rigid, thus, you don't get soft suspension tipping over feeling), as for an independent rear suspension equiped quads like the Rincon, it will sure give you a smoother ride going in a straight line, but their rear axles in the back are smaller and more fragile to wheelspin, and are known to break easier than solid straight rear axles.

Old 03-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: LittleBoy
I would go with the P700 for its reliability and performance. The Rincon is equiped with a very low tech engine comparable to ATVs of the 1970's with a single cylinder cam in block engine equiped with push rods. The P700 has a twin cylinder with over head cams which is very similar to exotic Italian Ducati motorcycle engines. Throttle response is equal and quick on the P700. On the Rincon throttle response is equivalent to its engines technology which is slow and smooth. The P700 is equiped with dual ventiled cross drilled disque brakes in front and 7 sealed disques brake system that works with clutch which is very performant. The Rincon is equiped with two ventiled disque brakes in front and......drum brakes in the back which are the cheapest and worst braking system an ATV can have. As for the transmissions, the P700 is equiped with a simple belt drive system that is easy and cheap to maintain. The Rincon is equiped with a transmission that can't be maintain (except for oil change) or fixed, if there is a problem with it, it has to be completly changed. So far my dealer which is also a Honda dealer, has changed three transmissions on the Rincons and two on Rancher400 which are equiped with the same automatic transmission. One Rancher owner had no guarantee left, thus after installing a new transmission and... 3000CAN$, he had his transmission problem fixed. A belt on a P700 is about 100$. The dealer said the Honda Foreman of the 90's used to be bullet proof, but so far the Rincon is on a bad start. As for after market performance mods, except for a dynojet kit and an exhaust system, nothing is available for the Rincon. For the P700, you can have everything you want (cams, clutch kits, exhausts and headers,suspension upgraded, air ram system),even an aftermarket Dyna FS CDI at the end of the month will be available.
alright you seriously need to get your info down before you go off and say stupid stuff. First of all i would like to see any atv of the 70's use a liquid cooled 4 valve longitudally mounted 650 engine. The only part low teach about it is that it uses a ohv engine instead of an overhead cam. Lets consider the reason why though, ohv engines have a smoother powerband and better low end torque...which is very useful in an atv. Second of all the praire engine isnt anything at all like a ducati engine except that is is a v-twin. Next up the rincon has front DRUMS and a REAR disc. It uses drusm because they are Triple sealed so when your in muck and mud like most atv's are, you wont wear them out as fast. The rancher at does not use the same tranny as a rincon. The rancher at uses an oil pump and teh rincon uses a automotive style tranny liek a car w/ a hyrdalic torque converter. So yes the rincons tranny can be fixed jsut liek you can fix a cars tranny. Plus you will never have to worry about flat spoting a belt or havin it slip if you are doing excessive water crossing. Now as far as the solid axel goes..... the solid axel will be more stable adn its a bit soimpler but it is no stronger than a IRS. Y you may ask? because you have less leverage to bend any axel with and on a IRS setup the wheels are attatched right at the a arms so the strenth is unmatched. So now that i have helped dispell this ignorant post with REAL FACTS i hope i have made your decision not so biased.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Hondarider86,
If you re-read my post. I was talking about the Rincon's been single cylindered, OHV with push rod which are important elements of the engine that are also found on engines of the 1970's. And Maybe the Rincon's OHV was suppose to have more low end torque because of its single cylinder OHV engine but against the V-Twin engine on the Prairie 650 and 700 it is not the case. Just look right at the take off, the Prairie is a real holeshot, can't say the same about the Rincon. The Rincon's OHV engine has even an smooth powerband for a single cylinder, but it is been compared to a 90° V-Twin engine that is renouned to be the smoothest engine in the ATV market which has a lots less vibration than the single cylindered engine. Why would the Ducati and Kawasaki V-twin be so different in your opinion, if the Ducati efi and CDI are compatible with the Kawasaki V-Twin (Yes, some modified Kawasaki Prairie 700s are running with Ducati's efi and CDI)? Sorry, about mistaking the Rincon's braking system, it is even worst than I though. Has you know the front end of the ATV need more braking power and Honda has putten drum brakes in front which are the worst in braking performance instead have disque brakes (they might wear faster then disque brakes but at least they brake better. I don't plan on saving brake wear, I go for safety first, and that is probably why High Lifter Company is now offering aftermarket disque brakes for the Rincon owners concerned with safety!)Maybe the Ranchers and the Rincon's transmission are a little different, but they are around here both renound to have unreliable transmission. You their transmission can be fixed, but not at the dealer, they change them and sent the broken one back to Honda who will find cheap labors to re-built them and sent them back to someone else. And yes a belt can break, but it is a lots cheaper to fix[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]!!! And talking about real facts, we can't talk about the Rincon's rear axles reliability yet, but on other IRS quads like the Polaris Sportmans and Grizzly are known to have more rear axle changes than the Prairie 650s and 700s, and not because of the leverage factor but because the articulated joints of the IRS axle that are attached the wheel and to the differential are more fragile to WHEELSPIN than a straight solid rear axle. So, here is the info I got down on my stupid stuff. Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Both are nice quads its about how you ride and what fits your riding style . Me I like passing Hondas so I so I got the Kawi [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

And, the price tag is also important. The Rincon is more expensive than the Prairie 700, so it must be better, right? Or else the Praire 700 would turn out to be big good deal.

Old 03-15-2004, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

I read more post's on here about Kawasaki's belt problems than ANY other model in production to date!!! All these sensors going bad have to reset this or reset that! It may be less maintenance on the Kawi but just go browse in the Kawi forum and look at all the belt problems you see on the Kawi, since you mentioned the Grizz and Polaris, they have 10x's less belt issues as does the prairie!!! The capabilites to GO anywhere was the deciding factors when I bought my grizz not how "FAST" I got there, cuz I can make it their not to far at ALL behind that Prairie, it being a V-twin I would think would DESTROY the Grizz, hmmm, doesnt by much!!!

Quick Reply: Honda Rincon vs. Kawa P-700