Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Plows,,, am i paying too much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plows,,, am i paying too much?

i got a quote from my dealer, they said its about $650 for a plow with the electric lift, and add about 150 to that for a winch. online heres what i found
$193.17- tusk 1500lb winch w/ cmp mount
$413.35- Moose 50 inch blade, ext. lift moutn and tubes.
-----------
$606.52, thats with free shipping from dennis kirk on the plow,
and like 15 bucks from rocky mountain for the winch

Old 12-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

also, i see that the 2500 and ^ lb winches all have atransmitter box thingy, the 1500 just has wires to the battery, i already have my trail lights on the same way, with there be a battery problem, can i pull start it with a dead battery, because i know i can once its warm.......

Old 12-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I priced a Moose, warn and Cycle country system... and found out that for the most part pretty close in price, the only difference is in the cost of the blade. The push tubes and mount kits are pretty much universal.. Cost of electric lift systems are pretty close too, but the biggest difference is in the blades... Some include stuff that others offer as options... and there are big differences in how they are made.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Go to the "eBay motors" section of eBay.com. Then go to the ATV accessories section and do a search for "plow". You'll get a great idea of what's available and pricing. Most dealers have a "buy it now" price including free shipping for a bit lower than what you've been quoted so far. And, if you're buying out of state, you'll save the sales tax, too.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

draggin but, which company do you think makes a better plow?, i found a cycle country setup for 334, plus 50 shipping (384) and a mosse for 414 with free shipping.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Be sure to get the 60" plow!!! 50" is really small and when you push snow with the blade angled, your tires will be wider then the blade and hit the snow. Trust me, you won't regret it!!!!

I couldn't tell you about prices though, I got mine on a package deal from Arctic Cat. If you are not going to be pusing a lot of dirt and rocks, be sure to get a plastic blade, that way the snow doesn't stick to it like it does to a steel one.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

dennis kirks prices are a bit high for items such as plows, winches, wheels, tires etc.

a good place I found to order a plow/winch from is www.rcsoffroad.com
they have Warn plows and winches and Warn kits also, I recommend emailing customer service for a discount, they will email you back with a $10 off discount code.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Prior to plowing, suggest you coat it with WD-40. A better solution would be to have the blade surface coated with a spray on liner material like Line-x or Rhino linings... Cost should be pretty reasonable for such a small job if they can combine it with another job. It should keep wet snow from sticking and keep everthing from chipping and rusting. Especially effective if you are plowing a gravel driveway.

Costs quoted above seem really reasonable... Less than I have found anyway...

I haven't had the chance to see some of them in action... so I can't realistically give you an honest answer. Weight is a factor.. and in my experience, the heavier the better.. as it keeps the blade in contact with the ground... Problem here is that what is just right for my machnie, (Rubicon) may be too heavy on some of the lighter models.. I use a County plow from Cycle Country... It has given me good service. As far as the push tubes and mounting kits go.. they are pretty much the same from what I have seen. I like the cycle country electic lift better than the Warn unit.. and I do not like using my winch for lifting.. but there are plenty of guys that do.. It is just a personal preference. As far as blades and design go.. I think anything you choose will give you good service. Not sure I'd go for a plastic blade though.. but I have a gravel driveway too, so it may work OK on blacktop... I just can't afford to find out later that it was a bad choice. .. so I went with the known entity.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Not sure I'd go for a plastic blade though.. but I have a gravel driveway too, so it may work OK on blacktop... I just can't afford to find out later that it was a bad choice. .. so I went with the known entity.
If you are going to be plowing a lot with drit and gravel, I wouldn't suggest the plastic blade, howere I have been plowing a gravel driveway for 5 years with the plastic blade and it still looks like new. I myself am not going to go back to metal. Also, I looked up my sales slip and I paid $344 for the plow and mounts directly from Cat. Might have been a discount there. I also use the winch to raise/lower the blade and it works great.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey plow ???? guy..

#1: If you are plowing with your RECON 2WD... DO NOT go with a wider than 50" plow... Your machine will not push a 60"...

#2: Cycle Country / WARN / and Moose are all good... you can get a complete 48" WARN set up for like $300.00 from Montana Jacks...

#3: Get a winch. this way you have it for the plow and afterwards you can pull your butt out when you get that 2WD stuck... Go for either a Moose 1700 winch or a WARN 1.5 ci.. Both very good, and reasonable.. ( they have the nice switches, and protect the battery )

Good hunting..

( Ps, I run the WARN 54" on my 500 Vinson with the WARN 2.5 .. works awesome)

Quick Reply: Plows,,, am i paying too much?