Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Glacier Plow on a Cat

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glacier Plow on a Cat

I let my dealer talk me into the glacier setup on my '04 650 (the great discount helped in the decision [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]). With all the talk about the no-brainer decision to go with the glacier if you own a P, there must be something to it.

First off - there is nothing different in the blade or the flow frame, the only difference is in the mounting plate. The mounting plate fits up just fine, but it seems to be lacking slightly in the rear attachment. It sandwiches the ATV frame with the mounting plate, a strap of steel, and two bolts. It should do the trick, but not integrated as nice as it could potentially be.

The plow frame attaches nicely to the machine & has a small riser bracket included for the bottom of the frame to account for the increased ground clearance we enjoy with our Cats.

The issue came up when I attached my winch cable to the plow & began to raise it into position for the quick attachment. The cable rubs across the plow frame! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Right about now I wish I had a dig cam, but I'll try to describe: There is a lever for the glacier that flips up to lock the mechanism in place. With the winch mounted in the standard position with A/C's mounting plate, the cable exits through the roller fairlead pretty low off the machine.

Fix in progress: I modified my mounting plate with an additional cable through-hole & am going to mount my winch upside down, giving an exit point 3 inches higher than standard. This will give me clearance above the plow frame & prevent the winch cable from rubbing. Once everything was put back together it fits like a charm & I get a better angle for my winch cable to the plow frame.

Bottom line - if you are thinking about a glacier setup for your Cat, be prepared to make slight modifications to get the setup to work.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Range Rover

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Once you get them worked out, it is a great set-up. On and off in seconds with little effort.

Old 12-10-2004, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

It wasn't a difficult modification once I figured out what the problem was.

Just letting people know that it will not quite bolt on and go, you will have to modify the winch mounting plate.

I agree that it looks to be a great setup & can't wait for this rain to turn into snow!

Old 12-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Interesting....

the Glacier is an awesome setup, I have it on my '05 Polaris 700 EFI. I'd like to see some pics of what you are talking about, I'm trying to picture it, but can't figure out what you are saying on where it is rubbing....

Here are a couple of pics of the mount and unit on my machine:

machine w/ plow

Glacier/mount

dave

Old 12-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

I wish I had a digi-cam to illustrate. The A/C's winch mounting location is a lot lower that your P. The Glacier mount on the machine also seems to be a bit further forward than your's is.

Compared to the photo of your mount, P 700 plow mount close-up, my glacier mount protrudes further from the front of the machine & the winch mount itself if much, much lower on the machine: http://www.atv(remove this)illustrated.com/product_reviews/winch/warn/images/warn4b.jpg

funny how atv(no space)illustrated is a forbidden word [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

With this combination, the winch cable would rub across the red, plastic coated latch handle on the plow frame assembly.

My fix was to cut a hole in the mounting plate & move the fairlead up & forward about 3" to the top of the mounting plate. I now clear the handle & things attach ok, but my cable lift angle to the plow isn't as great as yours is, as you are pulling almost vertical ( | ) where I am pulling at a sharper angle ( \ ).

I agree that the glacier seems pretty sweet. I am still waiting for the first good snowfall to test it out before I declare complete victory [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]