Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750

Been waiting for dirt wheels to do a shoot out against these two and it didn't show up in the feb issue. Well any ways what do you think is the better of the two quads in,
trails?
speed?
work?
hills?
mud?
and all around?

Old 01-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

its a toss off between the 2 for trails as the sportsman has an extremely plush ride and you dont have to be afraid of the front wheels coming off the ground if you go up an incline, the BF is smaller and could fit into different places, but the suspention is a little tipsey and rough.

speed is also a toss off as the 800 is equally as fast as the brute force (suprisingly, dispite the weight differences) because there really hasnt been a solid shoot off posted here or in a magazine its yet to be seen which is faster

there is no machine better suited for work then a polaris sportsman. there is no doubt about it, end of story

hills is still a toss up as the polaris' on demand 4x4 works well when it engages, and there isnt obsceene power so you dont have to worry as much for it to flip back as you would on the Brute force. also, the side by side piston design produces alot more torque then the V-twin design on the brute force, so theres a lot of bottom end grunt to get up the hill. polaris only has a 2 wheel engine braking though so when going down hills, you have to be pretty skilled on feathering the throttle so the rear wheels wont lock up. the Brute force is probebly made best for going down hills as it has 2 brake handles so you can control the front and rear bakes seperately for more control, and i belive it has 4 wheel engine breaking, so you dont have to worry about tire lockups.

for mud i would have to give it to the polaris since their snorkles are the highest on a production ATV so nothing is going to get in any of the components. and once you get the 4 wheel drive working, its not going to come out of it for anything, other then turning it off, so you got yourself a good mudder there.

all around, it depends on what you want to ride and what your looking for in a quad. the polaris is an extremely large and comfortable quad, along with a very powerfull motor. the suspention is the best in the industry, and the 4x4 is ok. it has EFI so theres no choke to worry about or having to sit out differing climates and altitudes. its a very very very nice quad. the Brute Force has gobs and gobs of wheelie power and has nice 4 wheel EBS. the V-twin motor is a nice and ballenced motor. its carborated so you'll have to rejet oftain and ect. the suspention is a little tippy as its kawasaki's first IRS.

your best bet would be to test drive both and see which one you like more. i am extremly satisfied with my 800 and very pleased with the amount of power it has. its past its break in, but im still babying the motor, so i have yet to see what its full potential is.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Range Rover

Mudcon just wrote a detailed report of his comparison of the two over at highlifter. So you may want to check that out.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

ATVBoy
Would you mind posting a link to that write-up.
thanks

Old 01-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

The suspension on the brute force is rough??? Where do you guys get these things. You take, not as soft as the sportsman and turn it into rough. I have mine of the 4th setting (harder) and it is still soft to me. I would want it any softer than it is. And its tipsy??? Once again, i dont find it all tippy even when it is fully stock.
Trails-- I have rode most all of the sportsmans and the feeling you have while fast trail riding them is terrible, and im a pretty sure its b/c of the weight and size. I even prefer my kodiak over the Sportsmans and that is a truly tippy machine. Jumping them isnt an easy or fun task either. I have had a blast on the trail with the brute...and it jumps and lands like a pro. The trails go to the Brute imo...and i know people will disagree.
speed-- I havent logged any miles on a sp800, but i will just tell you the brute is a RUSH to drive and from what heard over at HL...the brute takes it pretty good off the bottom end but mudcon said the sportsman would maybe catch up around the top end, but how many times do you go 70+ anyway?? The low end is there every time you give it throttle.
Work--The Sp800 might have a slight edge here but it only matter if your going to be pushing your quad to the limit. However the engine breaking on the kawi is second to none.
Hills--Some people have report that the brute has a light front end that likes to point to the sky during climbs b/c of the power at hand, but i have a winch and it has proved to be a problem to me. On the downhill, the brute takes it b/c of the good engine breaking while the popo is left with only rear wheel engine breaking.
Mud--The sportsman has an advantage here also b/c of the extra gc and great stock tires.....once modded they are pretty even.

I say go with the brute...i could have waited for the 800 popo but i liked the brute suited me better...but only you knows what right for you. Good luck on your decision!

Old 01-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't rode a Brute, but I have rode a SP 800 and it will flat out hall. It beat my 700 EFI pretty good on the black top going to our trails. You can be going 15 mph and gun the 800 and it will come up almost as high as you want it to! I do wish it toped out a bit faster however, because after 60 it gets really slowly rolls on to around 70 (give or take a little). I wish I would have waited and bought one know that I have rode one, but oh well my 700 EFI is ok for now LOL....

Old 01-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know but i really dont like sportsman, and plus the brute force looks pretty darn good

Old 01-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 7QuadSport7
I dont know but i really dont like sportsman, and plus the brute force looks pretty darn good
I don't mean to be a a$$ but what is it you don't like about the Sportsman, and what do you like about the BF other than looks? A pretty vague post IMO. Just give a short run down about both quads, what you think are the good and the bad of each....

Old 01-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

My dad has a Brute 750i and I recently bought the Sportsman 800. I have spent several hours on dads Brute and its a nice quad and all but its #1 not very plush for an IRS and handles about the same as any other IRS quad, however it is the fastest stock quad out there. I went with the SP800 for the simple fact that if I am going to ride a IRS quad It had better be real plush, the more plush the better since its been my experince IRS realy kills alot of the fun factor so it darn well better be plush riding or realy whats the poit. I also wanted EFI and thats what lead me to the SP800 over the Brute.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

These post always end in arguements, because I believe in genral people who like polaris are always going to because of the way a polaris is designed. They are more like a cruiser stree bike as far as ride and style. Where the big 4 are more mx style.
As for a speed shootout DW said that they really couldn't feel much diffirence between the 800 and 700. I guess I would take the 800 though because if you were to mud bog the extra torqe is nice. I at first liked the brute until I recently rode on some technical trails with one. All I have to say is YUCK! To twitchy on the throttle and the suspension really needs work, unless you like it bucking up in the back.
And I know it wasn't asked but I rode one of those new king quads and all I can say is wow, it seems to be the best ever.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750