Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

whats so bad about the grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats so bad about the grizzly?

i made the switch to the Grizz from a Sportsman 500,and at first i did notice the "tippy feeling" that i never experianced with my previous polaris's,,,but after a short while after learning the bike,i didnt even think about it anymore,,,,after putting some mods into it,i ended up with some wheel spacers,and WHAT A BIG CHANGE

even with the bigfoot kit,its about back to that "stock feeling",,,its reliable,and has carried me through some DEEP mud,which i might add has sucked up every bike that has tried,with mine being the only exception

this is the first quad that i have bothered to soak alot of money into with mods,and be sure i would have kept it stock if i didnt think the Grizz was worthy of the attention

i have had couple issues,but they were caused by me,not the machine,,,and i recently bought a tranny snorkle kit ,because we have one hole that i had mud over the back part of the seat,and my belt got wet through the exaust for the tranny,but we are talking extreme conditions,in which my Grizz is the only bike to be successful in crossing,it did take a little nudging to get it through with the belt slipping (wont happen again) but it did do it to the amazement of all who watched

the feature where your able to lock all 4 into 4x4 is priceless,and i say with that,and a great set of mud tire's (for me the zilla's) the Grizz is ready for battle without alot of the mods i have put on it

Old 10-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Range Rover

my other half has a 2005 grizz her second and we love the bike i put some after market tires on it and it helped the tippy feeling all n all i wished i would have got a grizz instead of my sportsman but my sportsman has been thru hell and back so i guess it is tough also

Old 10-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

I would second guess any dealer that's gonna charge that much for the initial service. My first service was $450 and that's only b/c it included the installation of my $69 winch...they royally shafted me on that installation and it was still $200 less then what you were quoted. I don't go to that dealer anymore. Anyway, find another dealer and ask again - see if you get a different response.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Twizz, my father has a Grizz 660 and I have a KQ. We switch all the time in real off road situtiuons, not a parking lot. Alot of what you said is not true about the King Quad agreeed upon by me AND my father who owns the Grizz.

First off the KQ does have a foot brake as anyone with eyeballs can see.

Second if you can not feel a difference in power delivery between the KQ and Grizz you must be paralized from the neck down. After riding his own Grizz my father got on my KQ and RAVED about the difference in power and I found the same results. The KQ feels a Grizz with a clutch kit.

We both agree the KQ gets the turning nod, although I never directly compared the turning radius it certainly felt to me that is was tighter on the KQ--by alot.

The Grizz does have better grond clearance, I will give you that.

I am not knocking the Grizz nor am I Suzuki loyal, just calling it as I see it.

The Grizz is an excellant machine but the KQ is like a newer, more refined Grizz.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

I definetly would say the Grizzly should be on your list. It is just as up to date as the other quads although it doesn't have fuel injection. I agree it could use some more punch. After hopping off the Twin Peaks, I miss the mid range hit of the V-Twin but I love the handling of the Grizzly much more.
I have heard the King Quad handles just great also. The Grizzly just doesn't feel like a heavy machine at all. I don't get tired riding all day.
The main reason I bought it was reliability. The tranny is bullet proof, there isn't a fuel pump nor as much electronics as on other machines. I believe in simple is better. I also like how fast the four wheel drive engages and disengages.
I believe that all the atv's are getting more reliable, but the Grizzly I knew for sure was reliable. Feed back on the other machines is also good, so I don't want to dis any of the others. If I were looking for another utility, I would definetly look at another Grizzly, Outlander, and King Quad.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

what years of the grizzly had the axle problems.. Found a nice 2000 model with only 400 miles for 3500 and a 2003 with 1000miles also for 3500.

But then I read about axle problems and gorrilla axles cost 300 EACH thats 1200 total dollars!

Looks like a good parts person could figure out which car cv axle is the same size = probably thats all gorrilla did other than some stickers.

So what year of the Grizzly had the axle problem.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Man, what an old thread!

Old 04-13-2007, 02:29 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

It was the 2003 model year (only) that had the weak CV joint problem.

A 2000 model year Grizzly would be an air cooleld SRA 600. The 600's didn't have a front diff lock either as I recall. The liquid cooled 660 (with switchable 2WD, 4WD and locked 4WD) was introduced in the 2002 model year...

Old 04-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info.

had just got done reading from another website about the 2003 years having the cv joint issues.

I might have to pass on the 2003 model since 3500 PLUS a grand in new axles is not a good deal!

Once again thanks for that info.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Why are you so certain that if its a 2003 you need to replace all four axles right off the bat? If the previous owner has had it four four years and hasn't broke an axle then the chances are pretty good that you wont break one either. I had a 2003 Grizzly, and I did break a front axle CV joint, but the way it broke I figure it was my fault. I got a front tire tightly wedged under a rock ledge while rock crawling, and I should have just broke out the winch cable to extract the Grizzly, but instead I put it in reverse, locked the front differential, and with the tires at full steering lock started slowliy applying more throttle. Right after I got to wide open throttle without the tires turning at all I started thinking, "dang, this thing is tough". Thats right when I heard what sounded like a grenade going off in the front driveline. I owned that Grizzly for another two years though and never had another problem. Yamaha had received a batch of weak axle CV joints early in the production year, and corrected the problem. Chances are about equal that the 2003 Grizzly you are looking at has the better axles already on it.

3TV

Quick Reply: whats so bad about the grizzly?