Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Shopping for a new ATV (Never owned one...)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for a new ATV (Never owned one...)

rincon all the way bro..........

Old 11-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

one word

YAMAHA dont care which one just get it..i kno they all break but the problems with yamaha compared to other brands arent so complicated...trust me ive owned them all

good luck

Old 11-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Much as I like some of the big quads suggested here, they are expensive!

For climbing hills, really anything over 300cc will get you there. Beyond that, it's a matter of how much money you have. One other big question you will want to answer for yourself - how rough is the terrain you are crossing? If it's rough ground and not prepared trails, think about independent rear suspension. IRS costs more, but has a lot better ground clearance (and rides a lot smoother).

I've had an Arctic Cat 500i since 2002. It's a big IRS machine, not that fast but bags of torque. Only problems in three years and 1500 miles of farm work/rough ground pounding has been a fouled spark plug. It has hauled a lot of firewood, so don't let anyone tell you an IRS quad can't tow a loaded trailer. Mine has for three years.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

Since ths is your first quad, I'd recommend the training they offer...I'm not sure if all brands offer it, but Suzuki will pay 100 bucks to takeit, shows ya howto ride and stuff like that. A guy I just went riding with rolled his brand new (1st quad) Vinson 3 times in one day, messed it up pretty good. Being I'm partial to my own 4 wheeler, I'd suggest the Eiger, best bang for your buck. Plenty of power w/o paying 7000-8000 for a big bore quad.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer

With todays technology, you can't really buy a bad quad. They all have their pros and cons.

Based on what you have said, it sounds like two things you really need are 1) EFI - this adjust your fuel mixture for altitude changes for peak performance in the mountains 2) IRS - The mountains I've been in usually have pretty rough terrain and independent suspension will help you navigate over rocks and fallen trees.

The only other decision is size. As mentioned before, size = money. If you are going to plow, I would get at least a 400 and make sure it has a low gear. A 400 can easily plow and pull haul a deer out of the woods. Anything bigger is just more money, uses more gas and usually heavier. Bigger does have its advantages if you plan on putting it to work, but from what you are saying, it doesn't seem necessary.

Good luck with whatever you decide on, I'm sure you'll love it!