ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Utility ATVs (https://atvconnection.com/forums/utility-atvs/)
-   -   Best all around Snow tire (https://atvconnection.com/forums/utility-atvs/227133-best-all-around-snow-tire.html)

Augie 01-08-2006 09:39 PM

Best all around Snow tire

I have been playing in the snow with my new toy and thus far am extremely happy with it. My only want would be for a little more snow traction. I plowed my driveway the otherday (OK, I admit it, I scrapped the slush off it.) and had zero traction issues in AWD while pushing the snow, but I could not back out and turn around without holding the override button. Is there a tire that would suit me better than the Carlisle AT489's that came stock. Preferably a tire that won't break my piggy bank, sprain it maybe but not break it.

RedGoblin 01-08-2006 10:14 PM

Believe it or not, the ITP Holeshot ATR is supposed to be very good in the snow. This is a tire with tread similar to that of the racing Holeshot tires, but in a bigger size for utilities. It will be great on every surface except for deep mud and like I said, according to multiple different reviews, is suprisingly great in the powder.

CaptainQuint 01-09-2006 12:43 AM

My friend runs the radial ATRs on his KQ and they do remarkably well in the snow. They do well in everything. They do great in the snow and for plowing chores. Looking at them you wouldn't think they would but they really work well in the snow for some reason.

Not just good for just the snow either. They don't tear up the trails like the heavier lug tires. They are much easier on the turf and yard than the 589s he sometimes runs. They are easier to run on the gravel and pavement than the more aggressive tires. Of course being radials they handle way better than bias ply tires. He use to change them out for 589s for creek running but doesn't even do that as much anymore. They even handle the mud fairly well. Not in the same league with the 589s obviously but they still don't do half bad. He's looking into getting a set of the XTRs if he decides to keep the KQ.

Augie 01-09-2006 10:45 AM

Looking at those holeshot ATR's I can see why they would be good in snow. They don't look like they would clear as well which would allow for the snow on snow traction capabilites of your garden variety car snow tires give you.

AKHappy 01-09-2006 11:04 AM

Chains would be the cheapest. They work good too.

Augie 01-09-2006 11:07 AM

I thought about chains but I don't want to have to take them off when I go trail riding and will also tear the hell out of my truck bed when I am going to plow my uncles driveway 5 miles down the road.

MikeM 01-10-2006 10:47 AM

any radial is going to be an improvement, but the less aggressive treads will dig less (a good thing)

car tire you want to dig down to the pavement - different for ATVs except when plowing or light snow cover. So you want a tread that will penetrate soft of snow and float on crusty snow for all around usefulness.

The 489s are excellent all around inexpensive tire. You can't do too much better than a 589 for plowing, but that tire stinks when riding in deep snow - not a good all-around snow tire.

Radial with moderate tread, ATR or Wetlands radial. There may be others.

Augie 01-10-2006 10:53 AM

Good to know. I'm used to thinking in terms of needing something that can move a 6000lb truck around in the snow. I imagine the requirements would be different.

What about the supergrip superlites? Would they do me anygood?

action450s 01-10-2006 10:59 AM

Actually the opposite is true for plowing. In this case you WANT a tire that will dig to the hard surface for traction, you wont get enough traction in snow to push snow with the blade.

What you mentioned about flotation and staying on top of the snow applies to trail riding, where you are not towing , pushing or working, just traveling. In this case you want to stay on top and not have a tire that digs causing a high center.

You will see, if you try to tow a heavy load or push one, no matter what tire you have your going to dig a hole in deep snow. The difference when plowing is that you are travelling behind the blade which just got rid of the deep snow!!!

One of the Highlifter Outlaw tires would make a great snow tire, cant remember the model, but the tread block has a lot of sipes as opposed to a solid block. The more biting edges you have make a better snow tire. Interco has a new one out too, they advertise it for mud, snow and trail, looks to be a nice tire.

Kodiak660 01-10-2006 12:27 PM

The best tire hands down for the heavy Polaris in snow is the Goodyear rawhide MTR radial........rockymountainATV sells them for the best price I have seen.
A bunch of us run them and they work awsome.....these tires have a huge footprint and when aired down to 2psi will let you float across the snow when riding for fun......keep them aired up for plowing and they work great for that too.
Soft ride and great traction....they wear well too.