Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

warn or ramsey?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warn or ramsey?

MotoF150....
Hey these winches also come with a 1 yr. warranty........Hell at that price you can buy two of them and still be ahead of the game......
John

Old 03-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default warn or ramsey?

I also see Viper winches on Ebay, might also be something to look at

Warn is just charging too much for the name, they think they got the market cornerd

Old 04-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default warn or ramsey?

A broken winch doesn't do you any good when you are stuck and in a hole. Why waste your
$100. You usually get what you pay for. I have had 5 warn winches overall, 3 presently, and have never had a problem with them. When I am up somewhere by myself and stuck, I want something dependable. The mountains in Colorado can be unforgiving, if you are not prepared.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Range Rover
Default warn or ramsey?

Originally posted by: JCDEYO25
lexustech..........
" Hey before you blow some serious coin on one of them, go on ebay and do a search for the Gorilla Pro Series winches.....You can get a 3000lb. for under $100 and a 2500lb. for under $80........I've heard from a fellow forum member who's very intelligent in this field that the Gorilla is almost identical to the Warn 2.5 in looks and construction......He actually took the two apart and compared them and said they were so identical that you can interchange parts with eachother......I'm gonna pick one up and install it as a rear winch on the sportsman.......I've heard not to get the one with the black case but the one you want is the gray case Pro Series.......Just be aware that they only come with 30' of cable though."...
John
couple of things:i like a good buy as much as anyone,maybe more. that being said: 1. obvious knockoff of Warn[most likely chinese,wonderful thing about paying someone 2.00 an hour,maybe less], 2.part interchangability doesnt necessarily mean compatability[gear hardness ,bearing quality,etc] 3. 30 day warrantee, what advertises on ebay site[not too confident from the manufacturing standpoint , eh? be real surprised to find service of any kind], 4. if you look around you can find "reasonable" prices on AMERICAN products[ just picked up 2 Warn 2.5's for a deuce apiece, off Ebay, heads up from forum member this site, no brain surgery, i mean what the heck is a nother couple of hundred on top of a 4-6k investment?

Old 04-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Range Rover
Default warn or ramsey?

Originally posted by: MotoF150
I took the advice from JCDEY025 and ordered the " Gorilla 3000lb Winch from E Bay" its 4 times less the price as a Warn, if it breaks in half, or fails then im not out that much, the way I look at it I won't be using a winch much, so why buy the best or most expensive one? It also comes with a mounting plate and a roller head. I have a mig welder, if I have too I can prefab the existing mounting plate to fit. I have seen other atv's with the winch mounted on the top front rack, on the outside, all they do is weld flat stock steel plate to the rack, it works just as well. I will mount mine in the proper location, not on the top rack. 2006 Suzuki Eiger 5 speed
you know its funny, it sounds like your buying the item with the expectation it will fail, and if you dont plan on using it that muchyou probably dont need it anyway. price differential not that much[if you look around], if it breaks in some godforsaken location where you need it youll care, mounting to rack would of course be stupid[not designed to absorb the kind of loading involved], if your main focus is saving cash, take the money youd spend on the knockoff winch and buy a good quality comealong.......

Old 04-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default warn or ramsey?

Originally posted by: harleyrdr03
A broken winch doesn't do you any good when you are stuck and in a hole. Why waste your
$100. You usually get what you pay for. I have had 5 warn winches overall, 3 presently, and have never had a problem with them. When I am up somewhere by myself and stuck, I want something dependable. The mountains in Colorado can be unforgiving, if you are not prepared.
I had multiple Warn wenches that left me stranded... the only true reliable thing out there is comman sence and a comealong. There is no debate that I wasted my money buying my last warn wench.... it only worked for 3 months and then wasn't working and warn customer service was poor. Today any business should know that customer service is more important than quality of products. I had a chap now for over a year... don't under estimate the power and the realiblity of these products. I don't buy things on price I buy things on need and productivity and convience.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default warn or ramsey?

I purchased one of the 2000# Gorilla winches a while ago. I've been trying since then to install the bloody thing onto my '06 Kodiak. While the specs indicate the same footprint as the Warn, it just doesn't fit in the "proper" place, not enough clearance on the windings side (left). Anyone put one of these on a Kodiak? How did you do it? Any pics?

Thanks in advance,

David

Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default warn or ramsey?

Lexus - just a heads up. I recently mounted a warn on 2005 Kodiak and the mounting plate did not fit properly. The mounting plate did not allow enough room around the frame welds. If the plate is not fitting flat against the rail mounting holes it will NOT fit as you described. Good Luck

Old 04-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default warn or ramsey?

I have used warn, they seem to work real good, I myself have two ramsey 3000's, and they work great too, I think its all in what you want, and how much you want to spend, they should all work good. I had a problem with my mounting plate for the front, just had to rotate it down to clear the radiator, and drill new back holes, no big deal. I looked at the cheaper ones on ebay before I bought mine, and almost bought them, but didn't know how good they would be. I've heard sense that they work just as good as the high end brands.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default warn or ramsey?

My only complaint about my Ramsey is the rocker switch is big and bulky. The warn switch is much better. The warn will run cable in and out quicker than the ramsey but at a cost of battery draw.
About buying the cheap knockoffs... did you buy the cheap knockoff 4 wheeler? No you spent good money on a good product.

Quick Reply: warn or ramsey?