Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Best Atv For...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Atv For...

Ummmm........maybe he oughta look into a pick-up with a plow.....

Old 10-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Best Atv For...

He's got a 4Runner but you can't get a plow for his year.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default Best Atv For...

I done alot of plowing with a 05 660 and never had any probelms pushing snow!!!!

Old 10-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Best Atv For...

Sportsman 700 or 800.

best plowing quad money can buy!

Fred

Old 10-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Best Atv For...

Yeah, he looking into how much he can get for his quad...Then if he gets what he wants then he will trade it in for a SM 800

Old 10-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Best Atv For...

I would say the new 2007, Grizz 700 EFI, for the following reasons.

1. It has more power now with 686cc's , and has EFI for better cold weather starts.

2. It has power steering on the new 700 model, also a good feature for lugging around and manuvering a heavy snow plow hanging off the nose of the quad.

3. This is true for the Grizz he has now, and I am pretty sure the the grizz is still one of only a few machines on the market that have a left hand gear shift, that also aids in simplifying the maneuvering of the quad in tight spaces or dealing with allot direction changes.

4. The Yamaha belt drive has proven itself to be one of, if not the best belt drives on the market, and working under load and rappid direction chages, a good belt drive I feel is a must have item. Either that or a gear on gear trans, but then again a gear on gear trans is not that great at rappid direction chages.

That left handed shifter, I am certain would be missed if he chooses a machine with a right handed shifter. I remember how effortless it was to maneuver over the 2002 grizz I had. I don't plow or really have a critical need for the shifter to be on the left side, so for me it was not enough of a plus to stick with the grizz when other fast more sporty 4x4s came available. But if I were going to be looking at a machine for this type of work, I think the 2007 grizz 700 would be at the very top of my list.

Actually the more I think about it the 07' grizz, would probably be the unltimate quad for snow plowing. Think about how smooth and easy opperating the throttle and steering a quad all with your right hand, aided by the new power steering feature, and all the while controlling direction with the short though left handed shiffter.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Best Atv For...

not to mention yamaha is now backing their quads up w/ a 2 year factory waranty. You can tack on 3 more years to that for $350.

I have a 5 year waranty on my 07 Grizzly 700... That's just awesome...

Old 10-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Range Rover
Default Best Atv For...

Yea if the Grizz can't plow what you want maybe his expectations are too high. After all it is only a quad and not a piece of heavy equipment. I would think that the Grizz has the potential to push more than the blade will hold so another bike won't necessarily push more snow. Sounds to me like you should look into a snowblower attachment for the bike or a big snowblower. Heck I use a snowblower to clear my driveway and haven't even considered putting a blade on my bike. The snowblower does a cleaner job and I don't have to always wonder about making sure that I have somewhere to push the snow like the people who live by me using bikes with blades. But then again with the area that I clear and the amount of snow that we have a bike plow wouldn't do much with it after a big storm...lots of times the drifts are so high I tape down the auger handle on the blower and shovel snow down into it to get the level of snow down where the blower bucket can handle it.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default Best Atv For...

Originally posted by: cc1999
I would say the new 2007, Grizz 700 EFI, for the following reasons.

1. It has more power now with 686cc's , and has EFI for better cold weather starts.

2. It has power steering on the new 700 model, also a good feature for lugging around and manuvering a heavy snow plow hanging off the nose of the quad.

3. This is true for the Grizz he has now, and I am pretty sure the the grizz is still one of only a few machines on the market that have a left hand gear shift, that also aids in simplifying the maneuvering of the quad in tight spaces or dealing with allot direction changes.

4. The Yamaha belt drive has proven itself to be one of, if not the best belt drives on the market, and working under load and rappid direction chages, a good belt drive I feel is a must have item. Either that or a gear on gear trans, but then again a gear on gear trans is not that great at rappid direction chages.

That left handed shifter, I am certain would be missed if he chooses a machine with a right handed shifter. I remember how effortless it was to maneuver over the 2002 grizz I had. I don't plow or really have a critical need for the shifter to be on the left side, so for me it was not enough of a plus to stick with the grizz when other fast more sporty 4x4s came available. But if I were going to be looking at a machine for this type of work, I think the 2007 grizz 700 would be at the very top of my list.

Actually the more I think about it the 07' grizz, would probably be the unltimate quad for snow plowing. Think about how smooth and easy opperating the throttle and steering a quad all with your right hand, aided by the new power steering feature, and all the while controlling direction with the short though left handed shiffter.

Good post!

What you say makes a lot of sense. I use my Prairie 360 for plowing both snow and dirt behind a trencher when we are laying pipe. Always run out of traction prior to needing more power. I don't see the need for the big displacement engines for most uses. Even with chains and added weight on the quad I have plenty of power.

The left hand shift lever would be very handy. I have the right hand shift and it is kind of a hassle at times. The winch control on the left side is handy with the right hand shift but I suppose you could move the winch control to the shift lever on the left side and have the best of both worlds.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Best Atv For...

I think if all I was going to do was snow plowing with it. I think I would maybe even look into a foot/toe switch for the blade controll then mount it down on the left floorboard. That way once you really got the hang of all the controlls it would be a breeeezzzzzzzzz to plow up a mess of snow in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Best Atv For...