ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Utility ATVs (https://atvconnection.com/forums/utility-atvs/)
-   -   must have things to bring on trail rides (https://atvconnection.com/forums/utility-atvs/252879-must-have-things-bring-trail-rides.html)

tregtom 11-02-2006 12:21 AM

List of must have things to bring on trail rides

Does any one have a list, or know of a web site that might have a list of must have items to take on day or over night trips.
Maybe if we all list the must have items we take on trail rides we all can create a master list.
I got the idea from the "Flat tire" thread, Slime -tire patch- air pump
What other survival items can you think of?
Matches or magnesium fire starter
Tow strap
Energy bars
Water
Extra fuel
????

Hebs 11-02-2006 05:52 PM

must have things to bring on trail rides

We've done this before in the yamaha forums on this site...

Flashlight
tow rope
snatch block
first aid kit
water
food
coat/windbreaker/sweatshirt or blanket
extra gas
sparkplug
cell phone
extra pair of shoes
portable air compressor (plugs into the 12v adapter on the quad)
puncture kit
lighter/waterproof matches in ziplock baggy

That's just off the top of my head...

JDQuadRider 11-02-2006 08:06 PM

I would consider 2-way radios instead of a cell phone. I ride in a lot of remote places and cell phone signals are iffy at best. Most people I see on the trail monitor a certain channel on the trail with their radios.

I'd also consider investing in a GPS or good compass. Bringing extra hoseclamps along as well as a good tire repair kit is always adviseable too.

DEERHAWK 11-02-2006 10:34 PM

Add to the list a small tool kit, duct tape and a pack of assorted zip ties. If you have room an E-tool and a hatchet.
I would rather have something and not need it, than need it and not have it.

tregtom 11-03-2006 03:50 AM

I am with you I would rather have it and not need it. The 2 way radio is a good idea. Could have used one the day my friend drove off the edge of the Mt. As i drove slowly on the edge of the trail I herd him yell. I used the winch, that my wife could not under stand why I would ever need, to repel down and winch my 275 lb friend back up.
Back on topic i will compile a master list.
What would i search for in the yam forum to find this topic?

tregtom 11-03-2006 12:21 PM

This is the list so far.
I thought more people would respond!
- Beef jerky/trail mix
- Candles
- Cell phone
- Coat/windbreaker/sweatshirt or blanket
- Energy bars
- Extra coolant
- Extra fuel
- Extra pair of shoes
- Extra water
- First aid kit
- Flashlight
- Food
- Hose clamps/tie-raps/bolts
- Lighter/waterproof matches in Ziploc baggy
- Matches or magnesium fire starter
- Military shovel
- Oil
- Pepsi
- Portable air compressor (plugs into the 12v adapter on the quad)
- Puncture kit
- Small air compressor
- Snatch block
- Socket set
- Solar blanket
- Spare belt
- Sparkplug
- Tire plugs
- Tow rope
- Tow strap
- Various small parts
- Water
- Water purification drops
- Waterproof matches
- Wrench set

I hope this helps some people plan day and over night trail ride.

toehanus 11-03-2006 12:56 PM

Depending on the legalities of where you're riding, I'd also include a self-defense implement in there too.

tencubed 11-03-2006 11:31 PM

Several items are duplicated on the existing list which makes it seem a little long.
Few things I carry when working in the mountains that I don't find mentioned.

In the first aid kit. Be sure to have enough prescription medications to last several days. Take some over the counter Benedril and other allergy meds you may need. I also carry a suture kit and sting relief swabs.

Cheap blue tarp. 10'X12', smaller ones just don't cut it when it's raining and you need a shelter. I carry two. They are small and work well as bottom padding in the cargo box.

Flashlight is mentioned. I carry two LED lights. Regular lights have bulbs that seem to break from the shock of travel and often don't work. Batteries last a lot longer too.

Roll of mechanics wire, be sure you have good pliers in your tool kit to cut and work this. It's handy for making cooking hangers and a thousand other uses like tying splints.

Matches, in a waterproof container, get the big kitchen "strike anywhere" kind. Others are a waste of time. Propane lighters, at least two. One 10 or 15 minute road flare. If you need to use it, cut it up into 2" pieces and start them with a match one at a time. You can make some pretty damp kindling burn with these.

20 or so 16P nails. Not supposed to drive them into trees but if push comes to shove they sure are handy when putting up a shelter.

100' of cheap 1/4" poly rope.
Few hundred yards of one of the new fishing lines like Fire Wire. 50 Lb. test. Great for making snares and sewing up rips in coats and such.

Sometimes carry a little kit for catching trout with a willow stick if I'm in the area where I can.

Compass and maps. Maps should be laminated so they don't melt in the wet. Learn to use the compass for more than finding north. Which, by the way, is not where the compass points in most places.

A good 6" belt knife and sheath. I use a Buck that I've had for about 30 years. Don't wear it till you need it. You'll forget it at home. A good round axe stone. Better for sharpening than one of those little square jobs. Those hugh Bowie knifes some folks carry are very unhandy when it comes to cleaning small game and cooking.

Couple of pencils and a fair size note pad.

Small bow saw.

Small camp axe, get something longer and heavier than a hatchet. You'll actually be able to cut thru a branch.

Good First Aid book. Read it and take it with you.

Good Survival book. Read it and take it with you.

Someone mentioned Duct Tape and Zip Ties, get the long ones, which are both really good as are the cell phone and radios. Neither of which work where or when you need them too.

Food was mentioned. Canned stuff you don't have to heat to eat is best. If you plan on doing anything in the way of "living off the land" be sure to take some salt, pepper, flour, rice, powdered garlic, a big spoon and a cooking pot. Most wild game is short of fat. Take some plain old lard to cook things in. It works better than olive oil or corn oil. Few days of it won't kill you. Canned condensed milk is great for camp cooking. Take a few things just to make an overnight more comfortable. Coffee, cookies or whatever makes you smile.

Couple of big, heavy duty garbage bags make acceptable rain gear and sleeping bag if you don't have the real stuff with you.

Clothing - Depends on the time of year but always take extra in case it gets cold or what you have on gets damaged or wet.

I carry a single shot short rifle in 45-70 calibre. Big enough to stop anything I'll need to stop and with handloads it can be taken down to 45 ACP power. Good for small game.

All of this sounds like a lot and it's more than I would carry on a horse but I don't ride a horse anymore. I ride a utility quad with a cargo box on the back.

Take a couple of books to read, evenings can get pretty long just looking at a fire.

tregtom 11-04-2006 02:56 AM

Now that is some good stuff.

montyh 11-04-2006 08:51 AM

i have seen many of these lists, and it seems like everyone has a different one. basically you gotta have enough tools to repair anything on your atv except major breakdowns. then you have to keep your self alive and comfy if the meltdown happens, and find your way back to the truck (or nearest highway).
don't get huge stuff. you can survive for a long time with the knife in your leatherman, and your tool kit can fit into a small tackle box. (the factory tool kit is junk)

survival is mostly a mental game.

monty