Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Power delivery between a big single or a twin?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:43 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power delivery between a big single or a twin?

So far I use my ATV for is fishing trips,If my stuff can not be strapped to the ATV it can not come. The fishing spots are 15 miles from where the trucks are parked so two trips are out of the question. We do bring one ATV trailer but it only carries community stuff that everyones used such as 2hp boat motors,stove and so on. What you bring to sleep on , in and under and eat and drink better fit on your ATV because no one else will bring it.

We go with large groups 10-12 ATVs and it is a blast and my one friend always wanted to come but you just can't bring a passenger plus all his stuff also I tell him. So he goes out and buys a ATV and what does he come back with!, a 500 Polaris Scramber!!! with this puny one and only back rack "thing" that can carry a six pack of beer at best.LOL I told him thats not a good bike for the trips we do, unless you can get by with just bringing a blanket,packets of cup of soups and just stare at others drinking beer.

We go with every type of Utility ATV and everyone likes there own bike. I sold my Foreman 450 only because I want to start doing more recreational riding and it did not have the comfort long outings or the speed for the longer wide open sections of logging roads that come up.

All I have is a 500 and I just can't find a place on our rides where I could ever fell comfortable holding the throttle wide open for more than a second or two.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

No panties to bunch here V2racer, just tired of the BS every time I read a review about the 600+cc class. Racing Utes not funny? It's like watching racing lawnmowers (not trying to insult anyone here that races lawnmowers (or ATVs) that keeps it in the proper perspective). That kind of funny, get it? Some of those MTDs flip over backwards (wow, from a dead stop no less!!) or smoke the tires, so that must mean they are fast too! But they can't cut grass anymore. I owned a sport (and shortly traded it in for a bike), but I'd hardly be "pissed" if your 650 beat my 350 (that wasn't happening either). I'll bet you could get that gear up the snow covered hill faster with a sled, or just as easy with a well balanced 400cc ATV. I did notice you get a little upset when the CanAm guys point out that they are faster than the AC.

Top reasons to buy a v-twin ATV:
10) It's safer to tow 3000lbs with a 700lb 650cc ATV than a 700lb 500cc ATV??
9) but my wife drives a 500cc!
8) The extra 5 mph from a 500 to 650 make me FAST!!
7) Two heads are better than one!?
6) You get a discount on useless aftermarket mods when you buy 2
5) If one cylinder dies I can get home on the other
4) Twice as nice
3) Gas is cheap
2) Twins SOUND cooler than singles
And the #1 reason?..You can carry more beer

Seems to me Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, and now Arctic Cat shy away from the unnecessary extra cylinder. Wonder why? Not me.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok propenuts. Trying to compare a lawnmower to a 633 cc quad is stupid. I didnt say flipping a 700 pound quad from a stop meant it was fast, it means it has plenty of power to lets say, haul your wife around[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think it's that silly. People race couches down hills, its funny more than fast.

I think you know what I'm trying to get at. If some jerk brags how his Outty 650 is faster, it's like big deal - what's your point? You a tough guy because of this?