Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

New Honda Rancher 420........

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Honda Rancher 420........

700V-Honda's philosophy is to put on a super low 1st gear, so you just don't need a low range. Having no transfer case means you don't have an extra system in the drive train to add weight and drive up the price. Just make good sense to not add on something that isn't really needed!

And the 420 is just way to sporty for low range anyway! Low range is a crutch for those machines that NEED a crutch. I always hate it when I am riding with someone who has one of the belt drives. Belts limit the range of gearing that you can achieve, so they NEED a low range. We get to the bottom of a hill, and they have to stop to put it in low range, and hold everybody up....... it gets absolutely ridiculous! You can bet that Honda put a low range on the Rubicon because that transmission had to have one, and not because they wanted to.......

sherk-Can't figure you out, but maybe you are refering to the old Honda Foreman 450???? Honda calls the 420 a 420, and it's an honest 420.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought one about a month ago and i love it!!! the place we ride here in NC has a drag strip and i raced my buddys 06 yamaha kodiac 4x4 its also a auto he can beat me untill i hit 3rd then im walking right by him!!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
700V-Honda's philosophy is to put on a super low 1st gear, so you just don't need a low range. Having no transfer case means you don't have an extra system in the drive train to add weight and drive up the price. Just make good sense to not add on something that isn't really needed!

And the 420 is just way to sporty for low range anyway! Low range is a crutch for those machines that NEED a crutch. I always hate it when I am riding with someone who has one of the belt drives. Belts limit the range of gearing that you can achieve, so they NEED a low range. We get to the bottom of a hill, and they have to stop to put it in low range, and hold everybody up....... it gets absolutely ridiculous! You can bet that Honda put a low range on the Rubicon because that transmission had to have one, and not because they wanted to.......

sherk-Can't figure you out, but maybe you are refering to the old Honda Foreman 450???? Honda calls the 420 a 420, and it's an honest 420.

I hope it is geared low enough to pull something like 1000# or better. My aunts 650 rincon can't pull worth cr4p!!!! The so called "low 1st gear" is a joke. And, I have never had any problems with a CVT tranny. And that includes a 1998 kawie mule, 2004 kawie prairie 360, 2004 kawie prairie 700 and my kawie bf750. Lets hook up a 650 kawie bf and a 650 honda rincon and see who is dragged around!!! I do like manual shifts and I do like auto shifts and both have good points. But if you uses a utility quad for what it is capable of, it needs to be able to pull. And to pull something you need a low range. I had a honda recon 250 and it was a great little quad, but the 1st gear wasn't low enough. My cousin has a honda rancher 350 manual and he can't pull a 4x6 trailer up the side of a small 100ft hill b/c the first gear isn't low enough.

My initial reply wasn't to bash honda, but was expressing why I would like to see honda put true low ranges and front diff lockers. This reply is to your attack of my 1st reply.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm looking at the new Rancher too. But I want to pull with it too. Yard work, hunting, and some light foodplot work. But I don't want a big 700cc "jeep with handlebars" for trail riding. What do you guys think?

Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sherk
WHAT I MEAN IS THAT THE RANCHER ONLY HAS 420cc. the 420cc stands fo 420 cubic centemeaters. wich means the mototer has 420 cubic centermeters in it. so if you had 420 and 420 lilttle centemeter cube they would fit in the moter of it . but honda still calls a 450 becuse they round up to the next size of quad does that explain it a little more for u bub.
Honda calls it a 420. Does that explain it to you Bub.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 700vtwinman

I hope it is geared low enough to pull something like 1000# or better. My aunts 650 rincon can't pull worth cr4p!!!! The so called "low 1st gear" is a joke. Lets hook up a 650 kawie bf and a 650 honda rincon and see who is dragged around!!! My cousin has a honda rancher 350 manual and he can't pull a 4x6 trailer up the side of a small 100ft hill b/c the first gear isn't low enough.
If you look at Honda's website you will see that the Rincon is not listed in the Utility category. It has its own category and the 650 Kawie is not in it. It was not meant to drag stuff around but if you want to hook them up, you will be supprized. Whichever has the most weight and traction will win. I have pulled trees out of the ground with mine.
As far as the Rancher, I call BS. The only Rancher that will not pull is the 400 AT. The 350 will not bog down so it can only have lost traction. That is the only way it would stop.
One more thing. This forum is full of "my Aunt's this, my cousin's that, my friend's brother's mom's friend's quad". The only usefull information here is first hand by the owners.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ForemanDanOne more thing. This forum is full of "my Aunt's this, my cousin's that, my friend's brother's mom's friend's quad". The only usefull information here is first hand by the owners.
My all-time favorite is "a guy". You know, "a guy I work with", "a guy at the dealership", "a guy I ride with", and so on. I usually dismiss whatever follows "a guy"...

Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ForemanDan
Originally posted by: 700vtwinman

I hope it is geared low enough to pull something like 1000# or better. My aunts 650 rincon can't pull worth cr4p!!!! The so called "low 1st gear" is a joke. Lets hook up a 650 kawie bf and a 650 honda rincon and see who is dragged around!!! My cousin has a honda rancher 350 manual and he can't pull a 4x6 trailer up the side of a small 100ft hill b/c the first gear isn't low enough.
If you look at Honda's website you will see that the Rincon is not listed in the Utility category. It has its own category and the 650 Kawie is not in it. It was not meant to drag stuff around but if you want to hook them up, you will be supprized. Whichever has the most weight and traction will win. I have pulled trees out of the ground with mine.
As far as the Rancher, I call BS. The only Rancher that will not pull is the 400 AT. The 350 will not bog down so it can only have lost traction. That is the only way it would stop.
One more thing. This forum is full of "my Aunt's this, my cousin's that, my friend's brother's mom's friend's quad". The only usefull information here is first hand by the owners.
Well, you go ahead a call BS all you want. I personally don't care. And, no I won't be supprised if I hooked them up together b/c we did that. And, even if we didn't, it wouldn't matter to me. Honda makes good quality bikes, but they are still outdated. For example: On their manual shift models, they have no low range. They don't even offer a front diff locker and it doesn't matter how often you try to convience someone that your "3 wheel limited slip" will pull you through anything, it won't happen. If you get into deep enough mud, you are spinning one front wheel while the other sits and smiles at you...LOL. And, they still use "drum breaks" on some of their quads. Drum will gather mud and water and soon, the breaks don't work. I know, cause my hondas did it and I'm not talking about "my aunts."

If you go back and read my first reply, I never bashed honda. I actually said it was a good report. I just mention that I would like to see honda step up to the plate and add a low range and a front locker and no drum breaks. But you started attacking, so back at you. Does honda make good quads......YES! I and many others would like to see them add a front diff locker and low ranges and no drum breaks.....THATS ALL!!!!

And, I did own a 329cc rancher for about 5 months, so I kind of know what it will do. Also, as far as YOUR rancher "pulling trees out of the ground," unless the trees are 1" in diameter, now that is what is called BS....LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The 420 is a sporty SRA trail quad that is capable of light to medium work. If one needs a full on work quad to tow 1000 pounds, this isn't the machine.......and nobody including Honda is even pretending that it is!

700v is just trying to make trouble!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
The 420 is a sporty SRA trail quad that is capable of light to medium work. If one needs a full on work quad to tow 1000 pounds, this isn't the machine.......and nobody is even pretending that it is!

700v is just trying to make trouble!
Hey stup1d, look at my first reply. It never said anything about making trouble. I said "GOOD REPLY." Do you not know how to read and comprehend? You attacked me 1st so I shot back. The 420 rancher seems to be a good quad for that class. I personally would like to see a low range, diff locker and no drum breaks.....THAT's ALL. You apparently are so brand loyal that you won't read and comprehend what others are trying to say. You think someone is bashing you personally and that is not the case.

Here is my 1st reply: Tell me where it is causing trouble? I even said I might consider one for my wife.

Good report and glad you like your new rancher. I will consider it when the wife wants one. I only wish they put a low range on it. The ESP is great, but if they had a low range in ESP like a D1 and D2 found on the rubicon, that would be wonderful. And it would be nice to put a diff locker. But, from the magazine reports and yours, it seems the new 420 is just about a home run. Enjoy and keep us posted. What is the top speed? I recond it is in the mid 50's.

So, it is obvious that you are the one causing trouble.

Quick Reply: New Honda Rancher 420........