Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

New Honda Rancher 420........

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Honda Rancher 420........

I was refering to your "pulling something like 1000#" comment, ok. Not anything previous to that. Neither the Rincon or Rancher were built for anything like that, and nobody ever said otherwise! Anybody who buys one for that hasn't done their homework, and is going to be disapointed.

To some riders, the measure of a machine is how much it can pull or how much it can plow, or whether it can wallow like a pig in the mud. As for everyone else (probably the majority!), they just want a little agile fun sporty trail ride but would like to have 4wd in case they get into trouble out on the trail, and maybe do some light chores with it.....that's what the Rancher is!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
I was refering to your "pulling something like 1000#" comment, ok. Not anything previous to that. Neither the Rincon or Rancher were built for anything like that, and ever nobody said otherwise! Anybody who buys one for that hasn't done their homework, and is going to be disapointed.

To some riders, the measure of a machine is how much it can pull or how much it can plow, or whether it can wallow like a pig in the mud. As for everyone else (probably the majority!), they just want a little agile fun sporty trail ride but would like to have 4wd in case they get into trouble out on the trail, and maybe do some light chores with it.....that's what the Rancher is!
Then I appoligize if I came across rude. You are correct that the new rancher 420 is a great sporty utility trail machine.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one attacked you. If someone dissagrees with you that is not an attack.
Also, you apparently don't read. I did not say I pulled anything with a Rancher. I said my Rincon.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Red Rider

For some reason in the utility forums, everybody seems to mix the classes of machine. You never see this happening in the sport quad forums, where there are the well difined categories of kids quads, intermediates (250EX, 300EX, Blaster), the 400's (400EX, Z400), and the 450's (and a couple of oddballs like the Kawi 700 and DS650). Nobody bad mouths a 250 for not being able to go 70 mph....after all it's just a little 250. Everybody accepts that some machines are designed with certain limitations!

But in the utility forums, there just seems to be the opposite. Nice little trail machines that were never intended for anything else get ragged on because they can't plow, or mud bog, or haul 1000#. What is it about the utility rider mentality that they just can't get past this???????

A hundred times I have seen somebody post that they are just looking for a nice little trail ute, and after everybody has chimed in they end up getting talked into a 700 pound, 800cc monster that's as big as a Jeep, that costs them $9,000,.......when all they really ever needed was a Honda Recon!

And just for the record, I don't consider myself a "utility rider" in the usual sense. I am a sport quad rider who sometimes needs 4wd and high ground clearance. I ride my Ranchers just like they were sport quads, I just have to slow down sometimes for the rocks.........

Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

Reconranger,

Here is where this all started. You bashed belt trannies when I never said anything about them. AND, I never "bashed" manual shift. I just asked why they didn't put a low range on the rancher, that is all. But, here is where it stated:

YOU SAID:
always hate it when I am riding with someone who has one of the belt drives. Belts limit the range of gearing that you can achieve, so they NEED a low range. We get to the bottom of a hill, and they have to stop to put it in low range, and hold everybody up....... it gets absolutely ridiculous!

So, anyone can see why I replied the way I did.

Then YOU SAID:
700v is just trying to make trouble!

I was never trying to make trouble. But, I won't be silent when you make replys like you did that weren't asked for.

Then I even appoligized for anything that might have "offended" you, but then you continue with the "utility guys" stuff.

YOU SAID:
A hundred times I have seen somebody post that they are just looking for a nice little trail ute, and after everybody has chimed in they end up getting talked into a 700 pound, 800cc monster that's as big as a Jeep, that costs them $9,000

Well, my quad is not the size of a Jeep, just slightly bigger than yours. AND, my quad didn't cost $9000, it cost $6550 OTD, which was cheaper than a honda 500 or 450 quad.

So, please understand that you started this crap 1st. All I did was say, "GOOD REPORT......I might get a 420 rancher for my wife......I wonder why they don't put low range...." AFTER THAT YOU ATTACKED WITH THE BELT STUFF.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Red Rider

Quit with all the "little girl" quibling already!

Just let the people read the posts for themselves and decide for what TRUTH is!

Old 03-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
Quit with all the "little girl" quibling already!

Just let the people read the posts for themselves and decide for what TRUTH is!
I was talking to you, which now I see why people have problems with you. Little kids should not be allowed on here. People like you just cause problems and nothing more. No objective replys, just stirring up trouble. I have tried to understand why you got bent out of shape after my 1st reply since all it was was a good reply. BUT NOW I SEE WHY PEOPLE HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT YOU!!!! Go ride your little reconranger and your big wheel and leave the forum to adults, as you are not one.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info and pics recon. Best way for anyone to decide what is best for them is to ride them. I thought I had decided on Honda. Didn't like full-time 4WD, or the actual 3WD. But liked the quality. Co-worker bought Sportsman 500-now this is back in late 99 or 00, so machines have changed some. Asked him to ride it. Did, cancelled Honda and bought Sportsman next day. For ME, it had a lot more to offer. Ride, suspension travel, power, seat, AWD. Bought 2 more since and couldn't be happier. Just as I am sure recon is with his Hondas. 700v I'm sure with the Kawis. Thanks for the evaluation recon. Thanks for the input 700v. Will be in the market for something this size in near future and am here like everyone else for info.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: outside2day
Thanks for the info and pics recon. Best way for anyone to decide what is best for them is to ride them. I thought I had decided on Honda. Didn't like full-time 4WD, or the actual 3WD. But liked the quality. Co-worker bought Sportsman 500-now this is back in late 99 or 00, so machines have changed some. Asked him to ride it. Did, cancelled Honda and bought Sportsman next day. For ME, it had a lot more to offer. Ride, suspension travel, power, seat, AWD. Bought 2 more since and couldn't be happier. Just as I am sure recon is with his Hondas. 700v I'm sure with the Kawis. Thanks for the evaluation recon. Thanks for the input 700v. Will be in the market for something this size in near future and am here like everyone else for info.
Congrads on the sportsman. The 800 is a very nice bike. I have riden one twice and it rides like nothing else out there for comfort. It is very powerful and tons of torque. I am still considering between the sp800 X2 deluxe and the can-am 800 2-up. Anyway, enjoy your nice ride.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Trailblazer

It's nice to see Honda starting to come out with machines that can compete with Yamaha head to head. I looked the 420 over the last time I was at my dealer and was impressed. Might get one for my son. I say buy want you want and ride it and don't pay any attention to what others have to say!! By the way, 700 Grizzlys rule!!

Quick Reply: New Honda Rancher 420........