Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

SKID PLATES...STAINLESS, ALUMINUM OR PLASTIC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 2001 FOREMAN 450S that feels a little naked without a full skid plate.
Any input/personal experience as to the benefits of one choice over the other, stainless, aluminum or plastic?

Old 12-21-2000, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

It didn't come stock with a skid plate? Guess I never noticed that before. I tell you though, with the stuff I ride in, I'd be screwed without one. My 'Cat has a plastic skid plate, which might not seem like much at first, but I think I prefer it over the others. Basically, it's lighter than the steel, but also is very slick and tends to "slide" over rocks, logs, trail debris easier than the rest. I think the diamond plate looks the best, but again, with the ridges there, you tend to get caught or hung up a bit easier. Won't slide as nice as the plastic does. I've slid over all kinds of rocks, huge logs, etc., and while there are small scratch marks in it, there are no dents, gouges or tears, so I think they are strong enough as well. Haven't checked the price differences, but if there isn't much variance, I'd go with a plastic myself.

Best of luck,

Mike

Old 12-21-2000, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Cowboy how ya doin? Hope you are feeling better.
I dont think Mr450 is implying that there is NO skid plate on the 450 because there is. It is however not a full length one and it is made of steel and not really as substantial as I think it should be. One of my buddys works at a place where they make structural plastic so we all make our own full length skid plates out of that. Like you say it slides over stuff really easy and is tough as heck. I had a full length aluminum one on my last quad and that worked good too. But the price of the plastic (free) compared to aluminum (around 99 bucks)made it an easy choice this time. I havent looked at the actual aftermarket plastic ones as far as strength so I dont know how they compare to the aluminum. Whatever, I think a skid plate is a wise addition to any quad that will be ridden in a rougher than normal way. A big old hole in the bottom of your engine case is a BAD way to end a trip!
Have a nice Christmas if I dont talk to you before then!

Trailboss450

Old 12-21-2000, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

I have the plastic one from (I think) ATV Charles out of Canada. It is AWESOME, light, cheap ($70ish with exchange rate), fits great and works even better. Plus it was a breeze to install. I really like it a lot and it so far it has done its job well (even while rock crawling). Overall I would go with the plastics over the metal ones.
Merry Xmas!

Old 12-21-2000, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

Got a plastic plate under the Xplorer. Seems tough enough, but the best part is it is slick so mud & snow doesn't build up on it.

Old 12-21-2000, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Plastic tends to be the slickest, with stainless coming in at a close second.

Old 12-21-2000, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone have the URL for a company that sells decent full bottom skid plates?

I like the sound of the plastic ones.

Tom

Old 12-22-2000, 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

tomthetreeguy,
you beat me to my next question...sort of.
First, to Cowboy, is the skid plate on your AC stock or aftermarket? If it was aftermarket do you have any info ie. brand, phone number, URL.
I like your thinking on the diamond plate hanging up if you're slow rock/stump crawling.
I guess I wasn't clear about the skid plate on my 450S, but Trailboss450 hit the nail on head. Thanks Trailboss450.
Next, to code54, you wouldn't happen to have a number or URL for ATV Charles would you?
Hey Farmer123,
same question for you as for cowboy, stock or aftermarket? Brand, phone number or URL?
It seems we have an overwhelming majority FOR plastic skid plates according to those who took the time to reply. I appreciate the input.
Last but not least I have another question and a link for a plastic skid plate that I'm leaning toward myself.
Has anyone heard of a brand of skid plate by the name of Armadillo? I read on one of these ATV forums of someone who had one but can't seem to find any info on them. Do they make other products as well? (actually 2 questions)
Cabela's has Maier plastic skid plates for approx. $45.00, also have a good selection of utility ATV oriented accessories and can be found @ www.cabelas.com

2001 HONDA FOREMAN 450S
A2500 WARN WINCH
MAIER PLASTIC HAND GUARDS

Old 12-23-2000, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Mr450S:
Sorry, I can't give you an address or something to look for. That's another of the nice features on the AC, it comes stock with the full length skid plate/bash plate thing up front. AC does a pretty good job of protecting everything underneath there, so the only other thing I have purchased for protection was the CV boot guards.

Oh, that brings up another side note-if you don't have them already, I'd suggest getting a set for sure. They're basically cheap insurance. Bolt right on in a matter of minutes, do not alter the quad in any way. They do an excellent job of protecting your cv boots from getting torn or damaged, which could then lead to a couple hundred dollar bill for cv joint replacement. I've got Cycle Country brand on mine, as they came with the 'Cat, but there are many others to choose from as well. Prices will vary on those from $45-90 or so, depending on the brand and style.

Back to the subject, I have heard of the Armadillo brand you mention, but honestly have no idea where I saw it at. I've seen the maier brand before in the catalogs and such, so I'd assume them to be alright. Their hand guards seem to be a good product anyway. As for Cabela's, yeah, they've got a lot of atv products for sale there. I've done a lot of business with them before, and will continue to do so. Had very good luck with the customer service department as well.

Best of luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help with the skid plates.

Mike

Old 12-23-2000, 03:54 AM
Pro Rider

Hi Lane
I fabricated my own full length skid pan out of 1/4" teflon and fastened it with industrial tie wraps (nylon electrical ties) that way it can be removed very easily for cleaning and inspection. I would also suggest plastics over metal. They really do slide over obsticles better.

Quick Reply: SKID PLATES...STAINLESS, ALUMINUM OR PLASTIC?