Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

GPS Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Navigation

Just wondering how many of you ride with a GPS? What brand/model? What mount? I am going on a trip to Windrock in TN this May and I will be navigating with a GPS this time. Downloaded the GPS information from Tommy Rhea, including the map program he uses. It was very easy to use. I have a Garmin etrex Legend, with a custom made mount. I used a winch control mount, with a cell phone type holder bolted to it. It works extremely well, and have $0 in it. A little cheaper than those $40 Ram mounts. BTW if you are looking for a handlebar winch mount look at a Polaris dealer. When they install a winch on a Ranger, they don't use the factory mount, they mount it in the dash. My local dealer had them laying around in the shop. They could be used to mount other things even?

A couple of years ago I was at Windrock and we got lost for a while, it was near dark, and we were low on fuel. We made it to the parking area about 9 p.m., and when I unloaded at home, I made it about 50 ft. and ran out of fuel. That was too close. Will not go without a GPS again.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS Navigation

I use an old Garmin 3 plus on a motorcycle with cross bar clamp on mounts. At the ATV rallys they usually have GPS hunts where they give the latitude and longitude coordinates and the riders go out into the hills and look for the prize. I'm not up to that.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS Navigation

I have an eTrex Legend Cx with a RAM mount. I also use it in the truck, so all I do is unclip the RAM holder bracket from the truck to the RAM mount on the quad, plug it in, and off I go.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default GPS Navigation

I use a Magellan 300, wit the mount for my ATV. Works great, and its 100% waterproof.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS Navigation

You should really look into the Lowrance H2OC Color unit....Before you buy anyway!!
I love it......large screen, topo SD card insert.....No P.C. software needed unless you want to!!!
Comes with 12 volt plug-in......
Very good detail with the SD card.......Even shows shipwrecks for divers in the Great Lakes area!!!
Lots of Points of intrest also.......
I have the R.A.M. mount on my quad.......It is also water-proof...The GPS that is..LOL..LOL...

you can send me a P.M. if you want more info........Caper..........

Old 03-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default GPS Navigation

Magellan Meridian.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS Navigation

Garmin Foretrex 201. It doesn't require a mount, it straps to my forearm.

Trending Topics

Old 03-31-2007, 07:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default GPS Navigation

My Magellan 300 is new, with the box (a few months old, used twice) that i can let go for about 100bucks, pm me if your interested. I spent 180 on it, and dont use it like i thought i would.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS Navigation

Same as Caper.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS Navigation

Which ever one you decide on, make sure you also bring along a map of the area you are riding, a compass and of course make sure you know how to navigate with them. While you may never need them batteries die, GPS units get lost, dropped in rivers, smacked into rocks or otherwise destroyed. Having a back-up could save your trip or more importantly could save your life. We're only talking about a few ounces of paper and compass and some basic navigation skills.