Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Chinese Utility ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese Utility ATV's

I'm new to ATV's so be gentle when I ask this:

I'm thinking of buying a Chinese Utility ATV (250cc with racks). I'm naturally tight-fisted with a dollar so that's why I'm looking at them. Half the reviews I read say good things and the others say they're crap. I know they probably won't be as good as a Honda, etc. but I'm not going to be working a ranch with it either. Just tooling around and riding from my pickup to my tree stands during deer season. What do you guys think? Will I be screwing myself or can I find one that will fit my needs. I've been told to buy a used Honda, etc. but I'm a little leary of buying something that someone ragged out or has hidden problems. So....what do you guys think?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 04-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion: With just a little caution at shopping for used ATV's, you will have less chance of getting a problem ATV by buying a couple of year old name brand used then by buying a new Chinese quad. On top of that, buying used name brand means that it will depreciate much slower. If you check around on used prices for the Chiese quads you'll find that they are in the toilet.

The other factor is how machanically minded you are. Even the fans of the Chinese quads on these pages will admit to a lot of wrenching to get them going and keep them going.

Jaybee

Old 04-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are looking for a cheap chinese quad then look at JetMoto. JetMoto is an american company that has a factory in China. They do put alot of Taiwan and Japanese parts on them to make them more relaible. You cant find these anywhere else but Raceway atv and JetMoto. They have plenty of parts an are the most reliable. This company went through alot to seperate themselves from the rest of the cheapos. Other than the JetMoto look for a good used name brand.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my 2000 Honda Rancher for just under $2000 last summer .....

It's got some hours on it (not exactly sure how much) but enough..... It needs front brakes, the tires are on their way out, the hand grips are worn, and there is a small crack in the plastic..... but really ....big deal!

I used the thing to tow my Swisher mower all last summer, I've pulled trees out of the woods, hauled rocks, and worked the thing pretty hard .... I still have not replaced ANY of those things I mentioned that are worn ........ but the thing runs like a beast.... fires right up every time, idles smooth, quiet, and pulls hard when I need it to....

I could only imagine what $3000 could have bought me, which is still probably less than one of those Chinese junkers.....

And I bet you I could put tires and brakes on it, and put it in the paper for $2500 and get it sold in a week ......

I agree with everyone else, look at a used Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki and forget the rest ......

Old 04-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

YEP thats it! Listen to all these guys that have NO experience on these quads. Get a used name brand with no warranty or history on the atv. The JetMoto is NOT a typical Chinese quad.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ive never had one of these brands, so i cant comment on reliability. You have to be a guinea pig, and try it. Personally, not me. I will stick to a common brand name, like my cat[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: v2rider
Ive never had one of these brands, so i cant comment on reliability. You have to be a guinea pig, and try it. Personally, not me. I will stick to a common brand name, like my cat[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Yeah.. I agree.. If you are just sticking near the truck then a off brand may be ok. Thats your call. Me I will stick with the name brand ones. THey have the backing of parts ect. I cant comment on the reliability of the off brands thou.

Check your local paper. You may be able to pick up a used Honda, AC, Zuki, or Polaris pretty cheap. Even if you have to put a few bucks into it for PM its still worth it. The resale value is going to be better with a Name brand vs a chinese/ Jap model. Im not meaning any disrespect towards those brands at all.. I have seen the off brand ones and they look pretty cheap..

ALso if you do go with a utility.. Get something with a bigger engine than a 250cc.. If you go riding with the boys you will regret getting anything under a 500cc engine. It wont keep up. Plus if you do get one 4x4 is a good way to go.

Its all your decision.. Research all the quads. Go look at them. Look at the frames how they are welded together, thickness of the frames , thickness of the drive shafts, protection of the cv boots, ect... How does the quad feel when you ride it? Does the engine sound solid? Does the engine rap out alot?

Automatics are nice..

Thats where your money is going. Sure you can be tight fisted but in the end you will pay for it. When you break a frame. or bend one.. Or have a engine go bad...

Plus look at the resale.. I bought my 86 Kawi for $2100, had it for 9 years. Sold it for $1600. $500 depreciation in 9 years! Ask yourself whats the off brand going to be worth.. MY 2006 Polaris has depreciated about 500 bucks in 1 year. I have almost 1000 miles on it. No problems at all...

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Chinese mini, and couldn't be happier (and my wallets a little thicker), but I think they have a ways to go yet in the larger displacement categories (over 200cc)

check out other post as well - Big name brand atv's VS. the little chinese

Old 04-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

Don't worry too much about resale value. If you're only gonna use it for what you stated, chances are you'll be keeping it a long time' not getting caught up in the vicious upgrade cycle. Would you rather have a new machine and put your own scratches on it, or pay almost full price ( $500 less) for one with over 1000mi. on it?

Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Plus the performance of a chinese bike won't be anywhere near brand names esp japs. Also the won't be as good a quality. I think you will save yourself a lot of grief by getting a used brand name.

Quick Reply: Chinese Utility ATV's