Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

YAMAHA GRIZZ 700 VS POLARIS SP800

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YAMAHA GRIZZ 700 VS POLARIS SP800

Originally posted by: 700vtwinman
Originally posted by: brpbear
The under side of outty does need more protection but at least their is some thing their worth protecting.Un like Jenny Craig with it's low tech push rod engine that is so slow that most 700s including the Grizz will eat it.If you do take the time to look at the DVD they also show how poor the electrical is on the Polaris.
WHAT A JOKE!!!!! The arctic cats and can-ams almost weight as much as the polaris. And, there is only 2 quads that can out run a polaris sportsman 800, which is the can-am 800 and bf750. Other than that, no 650-700cc class utility quad will outrun it. That is a fact, so you stay in your fantancy if you choose.

Also, if the polaris has "poor" electrical problems, I have yet to see it on all the ones that ride them across the river at a local mud ridding place. It is usually the polaris's that don't have problems with the deep water and mud.

You should be a stand up comedian. What a work of art. Remember, "IF YOU BASH.........YOU MUST BE TRASH!" So if the shoe fits, keep wearing it. At least most of us respect what others ride.
You left out a few like the outty 650,700 king and the Grizz 700 they will all eat the big popo.I have Owned four Polaris's and ran them hard for about 14 years.The last one was a 2001 that had about about 14,000 miles so I should know their weak points. That sad they seem to need more repairs than other ATVs

Old 05-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: 700vtwinman
The under side of outty does need more protection but at least their is some thing their worth protecting.Un like Jenny Craig with it's low tech push rod engine that is so slow that most 700s including the Grizz will eat it.If you do take the time to look at the DVD they also show how poor the electrical is on the Polaris.
WHAT A JOKE!!!!! The arctic cats and can-ams almost weight as much as the polaris. And, there is only 2 quads that can out run a polaris sportsman 800, which is the can-am 800 and bf750. Other than that, no 650-700cc class utility quad will outrun it. That is a fact, so you stay in your fantancy if you choose.

Also, if the polaris has "poor" electrical problems, I have yet to see it on all the ones that ride them across the river at a local mud ridding place. It is usually the polaris's that don't have problems with the deep water and mud.

You should be a stand up comedian. What a work of art. Remember, "IF YOU BASH.........YOU MUST BE TRASH!" So if the shoe fits, keep wearing it. At least most of us respect what others ride.
You left out a few like the outty 650,700 king and the Grizz 700 they will all eat the big popo.I have Owned four Polaris's and ran them hard for about 14 years.The last one was a 2001 that had about about 14,000 miles so I should know their weak points. That sad they seem to need more repairs than other ATVs
Well, at last falls ATV rodeo at SHILOH RIDGE park in Alto, Texas, the following were the winners of the drag race of 200 yards.

1st = outy800
2nd = bf750
3rd = polaris 800
4th = outy650
5th = bf650
7th = griz700
8th = kq700
9th = rincon680
10th = rincon650

This was the big bore stock class. Call Shiloh Ridge up and you will see. So you can make up trash all you want, but here is proof if you dare to check it out. But probably you will just come back with lip service.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

That's only one time that the Jenny Craig of ATVs was able to beat the outty 650 so what.That still doesn't address the fact that they are the most unreliable ATV on the market in fact their so bad that if you want to ride one you have to Owen two of them one to fix and one two ride.I didn't realize how bad they were until I traded my last one for a Kawi. That dealer almost sued me over that.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's only one time that the Jenny Craig of ATVs was able to beat the outty 650 so what.That still doesn't address the fact that they are the most unreliable ATV on the market in fact their so bad that if you want to ride one you have to Owen two of them one to fix and one two ride.I didn't realize how bad they were until I traded my last one for a Kawi. That dealer almost sued me over that.
Whatever dude. I have owned several kawies and still have my 750bf which I love. But I now also have a polaris 800 X2 DLX for trail riding and work and it is great too. Several people at my church has polaris and have not had any problems other than one 2001 sp500. The other 4 haven't had a single problem. So whatever.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

When You get 400 hours and 5800miles on it let me know how it holds up.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

I just put my Sportsman 800 through a pretty heavy workout. I graded my driveway. My driveway is about 1/10th of a mile. Maybe a little more. Up a steep hill. Where I live, we get a fair amount of snow in the winter. And of course, my driveway is dirt/gravel and the snow causes a pretty good run off. Which later becomes a little creek. I wind up with some pretty impressive ruts if I don't do something. So rather than pay a guy to come out and grade it, I have a little trick I use.

I have a steel gate. Now this thing has to be seen to be appreciated. But suffice it to say, it is very heavy. I can't even lift one corner of it off the ground. How much does it weigh? I have no idea. It's beastly. It has a chain on it and I tie that to the back of my Sportsman and I drag it down my driveway (just wrap it around the 2" ball on the back I have for towing). It's heavy enough that it smoothes out the ruts pretty good. I have to make several runs. But it gets her done. Anyway, down at the bottom of my driveway there is a turn around. It's pretty heavily laden with gravel. Which of course, my steel gate sinks like a stone in. So pretty soon, I feel myself slowing to a crawl and I can't move anymore. Then I kick it in to AWD and I was able to pull out of it slowly. And up I go. And I do this like oh say seven times or so. Like I said before, I use my ATV more than 90% of the people here. Weak drive system! RTFLOL! If that is weak man I'll sure love to see strong. Proofs in the pudding.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, so I just bought a 700 Grizz yesterday and as you can see in my sig that my father has a sp800. He's had the 800 since last fall. I've had alot of time on the 800 and was able to get some good time in on the new Griz this weekend. Here are my thoughts:

Power: Both of these machines have plenty of power, but the 800 does have more. It's interesting because they make different types of power. The 800 has this torque that comes on right when you hit the throttle. It will pull the front wheels right off the ground. The Griz likes to rev more. If you nail it it takes a moment to build some RPMs and then you really feel the power come on. The griz is not fully broke in yet so I haven't went all out to determine a top speed but they both seem to top out about the same.

Handling: Both machines handle very well but I have to give the edge to the Griz in this category. Now don't get me wrong, the 800 handles extremely well for how big it is, but the with the griz being lighter and having the power steering it feels very nimble.

Comfort/Ride: This category I give the edge to the 800. I think it's weight is the different that gives it such a nice ride. The griz is lighter and tends to bouce around a little more, but the power steering really helps soak up bumps. The front storage under the rack in the 800 is awesome. It's nice to be able to throw a sweatshirt in before going on a ride in case it gets cold during the ride home.

The bottom line is that both are excellent machines, you just need to decide what you will be using your machine for. If you are going for more of a work machine for pulling, hauling, or hunting, I would probably recommend the 800. I also recommend the 800 if you will be doing mostly what I call 'comfort riding', where you go from place to place but don't get into many technical situations. If you are wanting an atv for recreational riding, I recommend the the Grizz (it's why I bought it). It's lighter, has all the 4x4 features you want, and the power steering is awesome for riding in challenging technical situations.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

Since this debate was started by someone who is choosing a quad to use in Wyoming, I picture it being used up and down hills and mountains a lot. With that in mind, if it were me, I would get the Grizzly. I know the Polaris is now available with front and rear engine braking, but you would have to get the deluxe model for that feature. So for the likely steep hill descents, the nod would go to Yamaha. Also, I would want separate control of the front and rear brakes. Where I live in southern California, we have a lot of steep hills. I love the fact that I can stay with the front brake only, on my Vinson, when descending the hills. The Polaris 600 I had for 4 months was sometimes frightening on downhills with it's rear only engine braking and connected front and rear braking. Many times I had to fight the rear end from sliding around on the downhills.

I know there are many other things to think about when choosing a quad, but safely crawling down steep hills has caused me some tense moments so I highly value good engine braking and the choice of separate front and rear brakes.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:09 AM
Range Rover

Im not arguin' against ya at all vtwinman, actually enjoy your posts as you seem to have honest views as myself but, I just don't think a Popo 800 is gonna out drag my 06 650i, seeing as stock vs stock i can take 750s off the line and stay in front as it is slightly faster, i have been wanting to line up a 800sportsman but nobody around here has one. I was the first in my local territory with a Brute Force now fudgin everyone is getting one, so much for being unique lol. Holler -joe

Old 05-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

I just got me a 700 Grizzly last friday. I'm just like a kid on christmas morning. If you would have told me a week ago that I'd be owning a 700 grizzly I'd be calling you crazy. You see last week me 12 year old daughter had a friend stay over and I ran to town to get a paper and gas for the lawn mower. When I got home two of the quads were gone! My loving and usualy smart daughter let an inexperinced girl on my 450 Kodiak. To make a long story short I got a call saying there was a bad ATV wreak about 3 miles down the gravel rode from my house. I knew right off who wreaked, it was my daughters friend on my kodiak. She was hauling a$$ down the rode and turn to look over her shoulder and it turned the handle bars and she hit a culvert and slamed her head into the front rack and the it threw her in the air for 30 feet. Had my daughter not made her wear a helment and goggles it would have killed her. She had cuts and brusies and it tore her eye lid OFF! Even with goggles on. They landed a helicopter and flew her to St. louis. I feared the worse that day. 10 days later shes back at school with some brusing and stitches and is going to be OK! Thank god I had insurance on the atv and my home owners paid the rest. Her flight alone was $12,000. It totaled my kodiak, and when I went for an estimate at the local dealer I ended up coming home with a 700 Grizzly Camo! WE all learned alot that week, so dont hammer me.
All I can say about the new grizz is What a machine![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: YAMAHA GRIZZ 700 VS POLARIS SP800