Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What ATV absorbs pot holes,rocks,logs, the best

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ATV absorbs pot holes,rocks,logs, the best

Dif-lock the most overrated feature?? The rest of your post is decent and informative... but to say diff-lock is the most overrated is like saying stock tires are just as good as aftermarket ones... It just doesn't make sense... Could you expand on that comment?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer

Ones again I want to thank everyone who has given there input . You guys really know your stuff and I am learning so much from this thread. I understand that everyone has there own preferences that is why there are so many different dealers and so many good toys for us to choose from. That being said I just came back from test driving the new Yamaha Grizzly 700 Fuel-Injected Full-Auto EPS IRS Quad. I had the salesman take me to one of my rugged areas so I was able to really test drive this baby. Ok what can I say the computer-controlled electric power steering is FANTASTIC in 2WD or 4WD. I was able hit rocks and logs with it and not feel a jolt up my arms. The automatic 2WD, 4WD and 4WD diff lock at a push of a buttom has many pluses but I wish it had a standard shift like the Honda's do. I find the standard shift on the handle bar are lots of fun to use and you can really make it rock when you get stuck in a mud holes....... **** this 700 quad can really move I was able to get it up to 75 in no time on a straight away. What is the top speed on this things anyway.??? I do have to agree with 2manytoys it did feel like it was tippy. I don't know if this is because it's a big machine compared to my TRX350FE Honda or maybe I just did not know how to ride it. Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI owners did you feel it was tippy at first ????? Now back to my original question I wanted to know about a ATV that had the smoothest ride and can absorb shock better. Well I made sure that I went over every pot hole, dirt hole, rock, log I could see. The rear suspensions were excellent compared to my 350 Honda it was like night and day. I know what your saying of course I would feel the difference between independent suspension and a solid axle, but my back felt great. I really enjoyed riding this quad, the salesman was a little pissed when I returned a little later than asked to and the quad all full of mud.... Oh well that's what test rides are for............:-) My next quad to test out is the Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Standard/Deluxe addition. I will let you know how it goes........ Thanks again for your input.....it helped alot........

Old 06-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

Yes Propnut can you please expand on your statement:

And a locker is the most overrated feature available today
------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you had some bad experince with Dif-lock ???? you had some good points in your reply but would like to know more about Dif-lock .

Thanks

Old 06-06-2007, 05:44 AM
Pro Rider

If you want both front tires to pull in the mud or when one is up in the air then you need a locking front differential. If you're happy with that happening none of the time or just occasionally then look for a machine without a locking front differential.

If you ride in the desert or in very mild terrain then I suppose it is pretty unnecessary. If you ride in mud or on wooded trails in situations where your wheels wont necessarily be in contact with with the ground at all times then a locker is vital. A machine without one is crippled in comparison to one equipped with a locker.

I have both. My honda simply can't go where I can take my locker equipped machines. For that reason I won't buy another Honda until they start putting lockers in them.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

I'd rather not get into an argument about lockers here, it's not what this thread is about. Lockers will go a few more places, but it isn't as dramatic as riders with lockers claim. All four of my wheels turn unless I get one completely off the ground. When is the last (or first) time I have gotten a wheel completely off the ground in the mud? Hmmm. However, lockers have been stuck in the same places I've been stuck. High sided is stuck, with or without a locker. Sometimes riders get stuck worse because they thought they were invincible with it and go where they shouldn't or get in way too far. How often do you use a locker? Honestly, what percentage of miles do you use it? There's no other way around that mud puddle? You can't attack that obstacle another way? $350 buys you a detroit gearless if you are that hung up on them. You can keep asking Honda for a factory locker, but don't ever rule out a machine because it does not have a locker. It's like not buying a particular Jeep Wrangler because it doesn't have a factory locker. Lockers are overrated in that riders that would rarely use it would exclude a machine because it does not have a factory locker. That's all.

That being said, good luck on your choice.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is getting off topic.

So back to the topic...I've got a Griz 700 and I did feel it was tippy when I first got it. I ended up bumping up the preload on the front shocks and that wasn't so much an issue.

Then I got better tires and it became even less of an issue.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

"What ATV absorbs pot holes,rocks,logs, the best"

The ones with a fat chick on the back[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: squeege

"What ATV absorbs pot holes,rocks,logs, the best"

The ones with a fat chick on the back[img][/img][img][/img]</end quote></div>

Plus you always get to ride in the shade.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

2006 sportsman 800efi and 2400 miles no problems at all great power and it handles great. Lot of the poeple I have heard say things are always breaking have never owned a Polaris.
My old machine was a Honda Rancher 350ES and at 48 I was to dam old to ride a solid shaft anymore. @ weeks ago went on a ride of 181 miles in 11 hours and was able to lift my own butt of of the machine when done.
Rides great

Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

btremont

Regarding the Griz feeling tippy, don't think they are tippier than any other machine in their class, but I think coming from a SRA machine a IRS machine might feel like it.

With an IRS machine the chassis can lean somewhat in corners or off when off camber, where on a solid rear axle machine the rear axle is always parallel with the chassis. IRS rides smoother and offers more ground clearance, but at first it can feel tippy and feel like you can't sense feedback from the tires as well.

After riding one for a while, I suspect you will get used to it and realize it isn't as tippy as it feels at first, and you can also feel what the tires are doing, just differently.

As far as a dif lock, there aren't very many times where it would be an advantage over the limited slip, but I feel there are times where my machine will spin three tires up a loamy grade and by the time it has started to transfer power to the tire with traction the thing has already started to bog down and dig in and it's too late. A buddy has an Outlander, and it seems to suffer from the same problem. Applying a bit of front brake will help the limited slip machines apply power to both wheels.

As far as Polaris goes, it seems to me that people with them have either run thousands of trouble free miles, or they have belt problems all the time...

Regarding the Rincon's transmission, I really like mine, but they aren't for everybody. The 680 has improved shift points and more positive lock-up. I do wish it had a low range, though, so it would tractor crawl down steep grades w/o using the brakes like my Foreman will... On the other hand I do go faster on the Rincon, even down the steep technical stuff.

In the end you can read all sorts of reviews and opinions, but there is no substitute for test riding yourself... Good luck with whatever you choose.

Quick Reply: What ATV absorbs pot holes,rocks,logs, the best