Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

are belts reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are belts reliable?

The Outty is a madman and a thrill to ride. If you're not smiling after playing with that rotax...well...there must be something wrong with you.

As JeffinTD said, you need to get a set of skidplates on it as soon as possible. Can-Am really shouldn't let those go out the door without them. The frame is strong as long as it takes load in the proper places but it isn't designed to have rocks and logs and other things crunched on and along the frame tube despite Ca-Am's assertions to the contrary. It isn't good for it at all. A set of Ricochet skid plates should be your first item of business. They are desperately needed on that machine. Once that is taken care of you're good to go and it can be flogged unmercifully.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My first sport is snowmobiling, if belts can handle a 160hp 2 stroke sleds turning a heavy 15"x121" track through deep snow at a zillion rpm than why not a low powered 4 stoke ATV thumpers? Whats the most powerful ATV rated at 65hp tops? Thats the power of a mid range sled.

Also by the looks of things people better start liking belts on Utility ATVs because 90% of them are belt drive now. I have not looked at my belt for two years and when it does go its a $50 and 20 minutes to change it.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the difference between ATV belts and snowmobile belts is that snowmobile drive systems don't have to be designed to keep mud, water and dirt out. This makes getting sufficient cooling air in and out a non-issue, and also allows easier access to change the belt along side the trail if needed- rather than leaving the operator stranded....

Belts are perfect for snowmoblie use: They excel at keeping a two stroke within it's narrow power band with no dips in power (like a normal transmission shifting) that would often result in a machine getting stuck.

From what I've seen, ATV belt design has come a long way in the last few years, but you do occasionally see someone needing to get towed out of the woods.