Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

When do you really need 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When do you really need 4wd

Even working around the yard I need 4X4 ...Sometimes the grass is wet and the quad is on a bit of a incline!!

Also had a trailer full of firewood and went to pull away in 2wd low gear but the back two tires were just spinning on the gravel..........Needed 4X4 there just to get the quad moving...........It sure comes in handy.........even if you think you will never need it!!!!...................Caper.........

Old 09-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yamaha Grizzly 700FI (powersteering or not)

Old 09-06-2007, 03:54 AM
Pro Rider

4x4 is indispensable. Around here anyway. I don't use it when I'm riding around on the gravel roads and such but when I hit the trails it goes into 4x4. For kicks I've tried running my trails in 2x4. In wet weather you really can't. In bone dry weather it is a chore and something many people may not consider, it really tears the hell out of the trail since you are churning and spinning the rear tires so much to find traction. The same parts of my trails where I don't spin a tire in 4x4, in 2 wheel drive you're spinning the rear tires tearing up the ground. You can climb the hill to one of my back pastures in 4x4 and you can't hardly tell anything has been up the hill other than indentations in the ground cover. You take the same hill in 2 wheel drive and there are ruts and spin marks roost marks and everything else.

It also goes to show why I don't allow sport quads on my trails. I don't even ride them on my own trails. They tear them up no matter how carefully you try to ride.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Range Rover

Riding in the mountains you will inevitably encounter situations where 4wd will be a big help. CaptainQuint has a good point about spinning tires more in 2wd. 4wd can allow you to walk through wet or rough terrain without tearing up the place a lot of times, when a 2wd machine might have to blast through with momentum and tires spinning to get through the same spot.

Then there is the versatility you get with 4wd. You might just be thinking of trail riding now, but if the need to do some work with the machine is ever needed 4wd is a great asset. 4wd helps me get things done on our place, as illustrated in my photos, and it has certainly helped me get through some places just trail riding. I generally ride around in 2wd, but the ability to shift into 4wd when needed is a huge advantage that I wouldn't want to be without. It just makes the machine a whole lot more useful.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only thing I've seen with a 4x is there weight, it is a hinderance ,where I can get thru in 2-wheel a 4x in 2-wheel won't be able to make the same trail, just because they weigh more . so they have to punch in 4x ,
I do like 4x so not putting them down ,just stating an observation.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Quiet down deanz, i dont recall you taking your quad through that giant water hole up at Spider Lake[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MRDS650

Buy a 2wd drive. I ride in a club with mostly 4x4 and I can go anywhere they go. Yes I will go around the big mud holes but that is because i don't want to get dirty. Snow is way more fun on a 2wd. I run a set of Maxxis 4-snows on back in the winter and can usually go further then the 4x4 guys. I have about 4 inches of ground clearance and do fine over most stuff. You will have to ride a little hard when it comes to the deep mud/snow - I just mean you can't be scared to hit it with a little speed.</end quote></div>

i notice you ride pavement and sand anytime you want to come northern wisconsin and show me that your 2wd goes thru more than a 4wd let me know , i hope you were only kidding LOL!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Something alot of people overlook
...it takes A LOT more energy, fitness, stamina to ride the sport quads properly. If you want to go everywhere the 4x4s go, you can, but you better be in shape and ready for a pounding. If you're getting a little soft in the belly, get a 4x4.
My brother follows us everywhere on his KFX400 (Mudshark rear tires), but he's spent by the end of the ride.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

go 2 wheel dr. unless you plan on working or sinking it in the mud. ive never had problems with any of my 2 wheel drives.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

I've always said, if you don't have traction, use speed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]