Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

heated grips and thumbwarmer

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heated grips and thumbwarmer

I have been looking at getting some heated grips and a thumb warmer for my 2005 Honda Rubicon. What are some good quality ones to look at? I would like to have one that has 3 heat settings. Most of the ones I found only have 2. Do they make them with 3 heat settings? For you people that have them, how do you like them?

Old 11-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have the moose 4 zone heat controler. does my hand and thumb warmer also installed the internal heated seat and can run my heated coat. all on the same controler. can adjust them indevidually and there are 5 heat settings works great.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply. Where did you buy that at?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just recently installed heated hand grips on my quads. I just have the grips and not the throttle heater but they work great. If your looking for different settings and want both the heated grips and heated throttle then go to Cabelas.com and in the search bar type ATV heated hand grips and it will pull them up. One set is currently 89.99. Plus there's a lot of reviews about them! Hope this helps you out.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help. I think I am going to go with the one from Cabela's since it is cheaper. How hard are these things to install? Do they hook directly up to the battery?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: vtpoolman

and can run my heated coat. .</end quote></div>

What do you mean by that?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Unfortunately no, you do not hook it directly up to your battery. What you must do is connect it to a keyed line. What I mean by a keyed line, is a line which is only activated when your key is turned to the "on" position so that it does not drain your battery. What I used was one of my brake light lines. You'll need a Volt meter to determine which line is running without actually pulling the break levers. Once you find this line, there are connectors you can by from your local hardware stores to link these lines together. Make sure you shut your turn your key off once you find this "hot" connection and are linking your lines together, therefore you won't shock yourself." And of course you'll have a "ground wire." To get the old grips off I used a sharp knife, whether it be a kitchen knife or a pocket knife. Under the grips is some high speed glue. What worked best for me to get the glue off is something called emory cloth. If you have a home depot it will be located in the plumbing section. Place your new grips on with epoxy glue which is usually found in a paint section of hardware stores. I know this sounds hard but it's not. Trace your break light line up to your front headlight section where you can remove that section and work from there. What kind of quad do you have because not all quads have break lights? If you have any other questions let me know! Good Luck!