Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 strange noise

Old 04-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 strange noise

Hey guys. My king quad is making a clacking noise at all speeds, but it's really loud around 25-55mph. At 0-10mph there's no noise and can start to hear it from 10-25mph. Yesterday (when this started) I replaced the belt and nothing else. Afterwards, I played in the mud and rode in the creek (about a foot deep of water) and got out on the road and thats when i started hearing the noise. I don't believe it's engine related because the sound isn't in rhythm with the engine, but I believe it's in the drivetrain somewhere. The engine isn't down on power, drives normal, and doesn't produce any abnormal noise at idle or reving in neutral. But I drove it out on the road more just to see what it was and I can feel it in my feet through the frame and nothing on the belt case but I did feel the quad jerk with the noise when I completely backed off the throttle at high speeds. Nothing wrapped around the drive lines or none of the drive lines, wheels, a-arms, or nothing loose. I fiddled with the rear brakes, but it didn't do anything as far as helping the cause. It has almost 1500 miles and 450 hours and pretty much stock except wheels and tires. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Perhaps you can get it up on jack stands and run it. Sounds like it could be a cv joint or maybe a U-joint. Be careful, if you do put it up on stands, have someone help you, er, incase it falls, etc. Also, CVT'S can make strange noises. Put a short piece of hose in your ear, or get a stehescope.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm planning on putting it on jack stands today if the rain will hold off for a good 2-3 hours. It's more like clapping your hands, just really loud at high speeds and this thing has a loud hmf exhaust slip on and I'm still able to hear it. But, I'll give you guys an update afterwards. Thank you.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

When I got my Arctic Cat 700 Diesel, it had a weird noise coming from the CVT, turns out, some one had left a socket inside, just rattling around. Had a Polaris once that had a belt slowly come apart, made a nasty slapping sound.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I couldn't put it up on jack stands because it's just nonstop raining for the past 2 days. I took the belt housing off and found one of the bolts from the primary clutch cage(?) had backed out. So I'm thinking maybe when the engine speed is up, the primary spins out and was causing the cage to clack against the engine since it was missing the bolt. It wasn't chewed up and didn't gack anything. Hopefully it's sunny tomorrow and I'll find out for sure.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

The belt was completely fine. Matter of fact, the same day the noise started on my Suzuki, my buddy had his belt snap while we were riding. Such a shame because hours earlier we finally put the magic tweak on his carb and it had so much more power than ever before. It's just one problem after another with his. It's a Kawasaki brute force 650 v twin.