Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Kodiak 450 thinking of dimmer for dash lights

Old 06-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450 thinking of dimmer for dash lights

Hey guys, has anyone tried installing a dimmer switch for the dash lights? I'm thinking of installing one because sometimes while night riding the dash lights are almost too bright. Just curious to see if someone has tried this.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't attempt doing that and I'm quite comfortable doing electronic projects. I guess assuming you have a digital pod?

If a digital pod, just place some window tint over it at night. But if an analog gauge cluster, probably wouldn't be too hard to throw a potentiometer in line with the bulb.

Hard to tell since you don't list the year.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is a 2006 with digital dash. I was just curious. Could it be done with just the backlight wiring? It would be nice to be able to adjust for preferences, depending on who is riding. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested to see how you do this. And if all else fails you can go to the handyman's secret weapon: duct tape.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose if you had the complete schematic for the pod you could figure out what is lighting it but that is assuming it is a separate wire. Chances are it might be integrated within the pod's circuit board which would make it much more difficult. Would be a costly mistake if you irreversibly damaged the pod in the process.

I would just do the window tint thing and call it good. Yes, it isn't as nice or cool as a switch to control it, but you don't chance damaging your pod.

And like I said, I am comfortable with electronic work as I've added a relay enabled fuse block wired in that controls all my accessories with 4 illuminated switches. 2 switches are dual throw so I can turn on my LED bar independently or have the switch set so the bar comes on when I switch to high beams. Other dual throw switch allows me to turn on halo lights and 2nd position, halos and rock lights. 3rd switch lights up reverse LED bar, 4th switch directly tied to battery so I can run my USB port even if the bike is switched off. That doesn't include the wiring for the winch or heated grips/thumb or the permanent volt meter.

So yes, I'm not hesitant to wire up stuff but I still wouldn't dig into the Yamaha pod. However, if you do decide to move forward, I would be interested to know what you've found.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone saying the digital pod was "too bright". I had a Grizzly 660, which has basically the same digital display and I never thought it was too bright at night.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

What I mean when I say too bright is when you're riding around a field beside the farmers house and you don't want caught so you kill the lights and move slowly. With headlights off it almost blinds me.

Search this Thread