Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Legalizing ATV's in Massachusetts.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legalizing ATV's in Massachusetts.

From most current information, the registration and operation of ATV's are banned from utilizing the secondary roadways. My endeavor is to summons the R.M.V. to Superior Court for obvious disparity in the laws and to change the ban for the legalization/registration of ATV's and/or UTV's in the State of Massachusetts. P.S. if there is any documentation or filed complaint(s) to the effect, by all means please contact me at the e-mail address above. Happy Trails...sincerely tom.

Last edited by tomknox; 11-16-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: help
Old 11-16-2017, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by tomknox
From most current information, the registration and operation of ATV's are banned from utilizing the secondary roadways. My endeavor is to summons the R.M.V. to Superior Court for obvious disparity in the laws and to change the ban for the legalization/registration of ATV's and/or UTV's in the State of Massachusetts. P.S. if there is any documentation or filed complaint(s) to the effect, by all means please contact me at the e-mail address above. Happy Trails...sincerely tom.
mm

Old 11-16-2017, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

Ask folks to pm you to contact. I think you'd have more luck getting the state to allow use in rural areas, from trail ends to gas stations, etc. In Maine you can drive 500 yards on the main road to go between trails or to gas station. restaurants, etc. When restaurants and shops find out they are losing business, they will be the first to petition the state. You pay the state money to register, they need to give you something. I don't see them ever letting them on main highways like 128, yikes!

Old 11-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Legalizing/Registering ATV's/UTV's on Ma. highways.

Greetings Hydrex, and other riders, There is no reason why the RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles) bans the insured,inspected,licensed and safe operation on secondary roads,obviously excluding Interstate and/or highways that speeds excess 45 MPH. There are several States that do allow the operation of said vehicles, e.g., Arizona,Utah,Indiana,Washington,Colorado, et cetera. Reason being, I am a disabled Veteran without the use of my legs, and I cannot afford the insurance on a car/truck. Plus the advantage of a smaller vehicle to access the lesser roads and trails is without explanation, right. Time for a change in our favor.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

It's definitely an uphill battle here in Mass. I don't even bother to register here. They limit you to a couple state parks out in Western Mass. Highest amount of trails is 18 miles worth. If you use your disability it might help your cause. I just don't see Mass. going the way Maine and New Hampshire go as far as riding on rural roads. Noticed up in Maine there are sections of road that act as connectors where you are on them for a lot longer than 500 yards.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Legal Force.......overturning present bans of ATV's/UTV's

Amen brother...I plan to bring the RMV to court through Legal Force. In America , it is our Constitutional right to redress grievances. I went to school for "Paralegal Studies" and this lawsuit is viable, considering that there is no real difference from two, three or four wheels. (disparate impact) As long as all the safety equipment is up to standards.,e.g.,mirror,horn,turn signals, et cetera. Lastly, there are other States that allow the operation of 4 wheelers, purely case law.
Sincerely, tom

Old 11-16-2017, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Tom, another thing, in parts of Europe they are legal, once fitted with the correct lighting, horn. The Netherlands for sure. Certainly doesn't seem any more unreasonable than all the Amish horse and buggies in PA and northern Maine. The lighting on some of those buggies is very poor, compared to my ATV's. Bet my Arctic Cats have better brakes too. Could try the DAV and VFW, I keep meaning to join.... also possibly your local state reps, yes, I know, Massachusetts, good for a laugh at least. Heck, move to Maine, I'll go with you, another disabled vet, though my legs work.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrex
Tom, another thing, in parts of Europe they are legal, once fitted with the correct lighting, horn. The Netherlands for sure. Certainly doesn't seem any more unreasonable than all the Amish horse and buggies in PA and northern Maine. The lighting on some of those buggies is very poor, compared to my ATV's. Bet my Arctic Cats have better brakes too. Could try the DAV and VFW, I keep meaning to join.... also possibly your local state reps, yes, I know, Massachusetts, good for a laugh at least. Heck, move to Maine, I'll go with you, another disabled vet, though my legs work.
There are a few conservatives left in Mass. We have a state rep. here in Billerica who's as conservative as I am. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. I think the only thing I would do is find a harder more street oriented tread if it was used mainly on paved roads or even dirt roads. Out in Utah, driving on paved roads used as connectors, I actually noticed tread wear from a 500 mile week.