ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Utility ATVs (https://atvconnection.com/forums/utility-atvs/)
-   -   p650 or forman s (https://atvconnection.com/forums/utility-atvs/76748-p650-forman-s.html)

tommyboy84 10-01-2002 06:24 PM

As some of you may have read on other post I,m trying to decide on the p650 or th forman s. does any one know how high the air intake is on a forman? I,ve never heard of one drowding out. On the forman when you pull one break lever all wheels brake is it the same on the 650? also I know that with the geard on the honda you have enough torque to wheely the front wheels over logs and stuff, does the p650 have enough torque to do that? One more thing, on the new formans with traxlock can you buy a locker that allows you to still use your traxlock and then if you need it you can put it in diff lock?

MuddHound 10-01-2002 06:52 PM

The Prairie's brakes are independant of each other, however any machine running in four wheel drive will slow all four down even if you only brake two of them due to the fact that the drive lines turn at the same speed (one end can't roll faster than the other).

As far as torque goes all I can say is "Damn!!!". If you have good traction and punch it you will lift the front end plenty high enough to saddlebag the machine if you don't pay attention to what you're doing, so just hopping the front over a log isn't an issue. Honestly though, the four wheel drive system (including the locker) is strong enough that you really don't need to put the front in the air to cross logs, climb staircases, or anything in that line.

ConMan 10-01-2002 08:39 PM

A Prairie 650 or a Honda Foreman S.

Is this a for real question?!

PowerHungry660 10-02-2002 12:15 AM

This question is a no brainer. Is it even legal to compare baby machines to the top dogs. Any one of the BIG THREE (Kawi, Yamaha, Polaris)will eat any honda including the new rincon, Honda has been out of the ball game since they quit making the 250R.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

tommyboy84 10-02-2002 01:14 AM

I personaly saw a forman climb a hill that the P650 and griz660 both fliped on, the only other atv there that made it up was a raptor. also you can ride for countless miles on the forman including through all the deep mud/deeper water and not HAVE to maintance it. I dont know how true it is but the honda/kawi dealer told me that the belt life on a P650 is only good for 1200 miles or so. If he miss informed me than pleas let me know. I only have what he told me to go by. Im not saying the forman is a better atv infact if the p650 had a manual trany it would be no contest for me. can you guys give me some good pros and cons on them both?

tommyboy84 10-02-2002 02:03 AM

One more thing does the P650 have IRS shocks? Can I hual another person or large game on the back without loosing ground clearance?

action450s 10-02-2002 12:43 PM

The 2 machines aern't really in the same class, but I'd take the Honda over the Kawi any day. Far more reliable, less maintenance, and no belt to crap out on you in the middle of nowhere. Belts Bite the big one period. You don't need a fast machine to get through the tangly spots your Foreman will take you, if you want to fly up dirt roads, buy a truck.

kawirob 10-02-2002 06:06 PM

Action450s:
Hey another NEWFIE in our midst. I live in Paradise...I would love to hook-up with you...so you can go for a ride with our group...the more the merrier I say. I may even let you ride my monster so you will have a better appreciation for the Kawi. Check my pics...I carry my camera regularly when we ride.

ROB

tommyboy84 10-02-2002 07:13 PM

ROB
It looks like you ride your P650 pretty heard. How does it handle on steep hills. I also noticed that your poping the front wheels pretty high (for a auto that is) lol. But really does it have plenty of torque to do that with or do you have to be sitting on a hill. I ask because every auto atv I've road wasent able to rais the front wheels up not even a litle bit.

kawirob 10-02-2002 08:01 PM

Tommyboy84;
The Kawi 650 will wheelie in High or low it doesn't matter. On pavement you have to be carefull not to flip backwards. On loose dirt it will spin like mad and can't hook up to wheelie. On grass...just gas it and boom up she comes. This machine has the most potent engine ever put in a 4x4 quad...and the automatic doesn't hurt it. On the note about if you have to be going up a hill to wheelie...This thing can wheelie down a hill...I've done it. If you have the nerve you can wheelie this thing till you run out of gas. As for steep hills...it's the best climbing atv made. Ask around on this forum and you will see what i'm talking about. The Weight balance in the bike is 53%(front) 47%(Rear)...that makes it a very stable climber. The combination of power and front locker makes this quad an absolute mountain goat. Ride one ...you will be either shocked at what a awsome machine this is or you be all giggly inside and go out and buy one.

ROB