Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Hurley, Wisc. ATV Jamboree, Memorial Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2000, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's right only 9 hours until the ATV Jamboree Memorial Day Weekend in Hurley, Wisconsin!!!

I am looking forward to seeing the people from this forum there.

I can hardly wait. It looks as if the weather will be perfect. Just enough rain to dampen the dust.

Old 05-04-2000, 04:01 PM
Mac
Range Rover

Bob you can count me in!!!
Jiggin Jack told me we might do a ride on the 26th Friday meeting at Island Lake before Floodrunner gets into camp!!!!!!! What do you think of that??? Riding for 4 DAYS !!!! Wait till you see my Bear!!!

Hope jack is riding this Sunday to Baraga with me. See you soon Thor.

Mac

Old 05-04-2000, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

I'm glad someone else is thinkin' about the Jamboree. I was just gonna' pull up the old post. I hope it's as good as I've heard. Ah, I don't care. A weekend of riding has got to be better than a weekend of working. Mac's been telling me about all the riding he's been doing. I'm worried he'll wear his 'Bear' out before I get there.Looking forward to meeting you all.
Brian

Old 05-05-2000, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

A Friday ride sounds good to me, as I am taking it as a vacation day.

Lee and I will be in Glidden at about 10:00 PM on Thursday.

I met with my insurance man today and put some coverage on the old Sportsman! It was very reasonable; only $78 per year. (Farmer's Insurance Group)

Hello Dusty, I am looking forward to meeting you.
Two years ago, your name describes the trail conditions perfectly.

Nothing like the iron ore dust. It will come out of your pores for days. Maybe even a week. Hopefully it will rain on Thursday and then remain humid for the rest of the weekend.

Don't forget your bandanas/facemasks and goggles. If it is dry, they are mandatory.

Last time we were at Island Lake, Willie said that there were only two trail conditions locally, dust or mud.

Dust, mud, snow, rain I am ready!!!!!! and looking forward to it.

P.S. Will you be trying the mud bog Mac?

Old 05-06-2000, 07:51 AM
Mac
Range Rover

Hey Dusty and Thor, No I won't be wearing out the BEAR, but wait till you see my Bear now, You won't believe your eyes!!! As far as the Mud Bog goes Explain just what is this; a manmade mud hole???

Just 3 weeks and we'll be on thetrails right now!!!!!

Mac

Old 05-08-2000, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

>As far as the Mud Bog goes Explain just what is >this; a manmade mud hole???

That is exactly what it is. A trench dug out by a bulldozer and filled with water from fire hydrants. The contestants volunteer to attempt to ride through it. It is quite entertaining actually. The only downside is, there is no hose available to clean off the contestants or the machines after the attempt/run is made.

Old 05-15-2000, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Here’s a “conditions update” for the Rally area for those who haven’t already received it from me personally. We rode last weekend and after almost 2” of rain last week we expected it to be muddier than it was, but the previous three weeks had been drier than usual so the rivers are all running below their spring normals. Friday started wet but the sun came out and the temps rose making it a nice day for riding. The only “flies in the ointment” (literally) were all the swarms of black flies on every stop. If Karen and Lee and I hadn’t worn headnets during our “breaks” they’d have chased us right off the trail. And the locals say they haven’t peaked yet so if you’re attending the rally you’d be well advised to bring a head net. The ones we have can fold easily into a pocket and can be worn over a hat. They’re only necessary when stopped, but they’re necessary.

Saturday started out rainy and cold and didn’t get much better. With temps in the low 40s and rain spitting at us on 30mph winds the black flies weren’t a problem. The rain was occasional (as was the sleet, hail and snow) but we did see the sun for about 5 minutes. I meant to go through Iron Belt to see if the Hideaway is selling gas again but the weather cut Saturday’s ride shorter than expected. I wouldn’t count on buying fuel in Iron Belt. Unless things change in the next week or so we’re a lot more likely to need dust and bug protection than hip boots for the Rally’s riding conditions. The current 5 day forecast only includes the probability of rain one day.

So to sum up the essentials, bringing extra fuel, bug protection (headnets and bug spray), dust protection (masks or bandanas) will all make a big difference in your riding comfort. And of course, enough clothes to be comfortable in conditions ranging from summer to winter to rain forest. Remember, we were warm in just shirtsleeves Friday and it snowed there Saturday night. See you on the trails!

Old 05-15-2000, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

I am taking an extra day (fri.) off as well!!
Probably only Sat or Sun. for riding as Walleyes are biting on lake Nancy (Minnog)..
Anyone notice" Barrons" area trails closed from April 1 st-- May 31 st....THIS SUCKS!!
Offical word from Law enforcement is that "wild life" needs a break!!...also ..damn Banshies running 60-70mph. didnt help either...direct quote from officer who happens to camp next to me.
ThIS Summer might suck bigtime

Old 05-17-2000, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Where is everyone meeting?? Me and two of my friends will be there Saturday. I would like to meet up with some of you?

Old 05-17-2000, 01:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Check out a bar called SideKicks in Iron belt,
Great rocky mud hole in back of bar. A place to stop along the trail to enjoy a beverage and watch the mud hole action!!!!
ranj57

Quick Reply: Hurley, Wisc. ATV Jamboree, Memorial Day Weekend