ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Where to Ride (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/)
-   -   ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/124327-all-louisiana-riders.html)

badittude 11-04-2003 02:04 PM

ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

Hi Everybody, I am Shane Evans from the Baton Rouge area. Myself and several other Louisiana Riders, because of the problems and fees spiraling out of control at the Dunes, as well as the problems with locals (particularly drunk & underage) at the Claiborne Campsite, have begun looking for alternatives. I met with some mixed success, but wound up hitting dead ends everywhere I turned. I began researching state run programs such as the ones in Pennsylvania and Tennessee, where the States there operate parks and campgrounds geared towards OHV use. You all, as well as I, realize that Four Wheelers, (and I mean ATV's, Not H2's) are the number one RV in the country. I mean, twice as many ATVs are sold as Motorcycles and Campers COMBINED. There is no other mode of transportation that has the ability to allow disabled and elderly persons see the countryside, as well as offer the excitement of racing and trials type activities to the more adventurous.

With all this in mind, and realizing that the only way that as a group, the only way we will ever get and maintain support from our state and federal government is if we begin taking some resposibility for the areas that we ask them to let us use. I began trying to identify and email anybody I could find within the Louisiana Park system that may listen. We all know that the staff at Claiborne has had it with us as a group. I have seen them give tickets to people that really should have been cut some slack, just because the Ranger was furious at the whole "thing" going on at Camp Claiborne. They hired on to be wildlife protectors, and work at wildlife and timber management. They did not choose their profession to babysit a bunch of drunks behaving like lunatics at a National Forest. They are used to people taking photos of wildlife in the Forest, not seeing if they can get their Grizzly 4x4 stuck in the MIDDLE OF THE CAMPGROUND at 3 am. My letter writing was an attempt to get the right people talking about having a park where there is running water, electricity, and the place is nice, and kept clean. I hate to say it, but the only way that will probably happen is that there is a substantial fee charged for admission, and that fee be used to pay cops to work there 24/7 while the park is open. I WANT them there. I want my kids to be able to sit by a campfire and roast marshmellows without the real risk of getting run over by a Alcohol Banshee drag racing through the campground. We all know its gotten out of hand. It is time to do something as adults to save our privledges of riding on public lands.

The reason for my timing in putting up this post is that I have recieved a response from someone who actually is in a position to help us, and took the time to read my email and respond with a possible plan of action for us. I will put it up here, but will remove the ladies name, to avoid a bad apple spoiling this opportunity for us. This will require us organizing a family, land preservation oriented ATV club, or us all joining and supporting an already existing club that has had some success in dealing with the government on land issues. I didnt know this, but this lady percieves that the dirtbike crowd is more geared towards preservation than the Atvers.. I guess I have to believe her. I am fairly sure they are the ones who mark and maintain most of the trails in Claiborne. Well, her is her email, I am, well... begging for participation and ideas. I hope that all of you will commit to this with some volunteer time, a little bit of money, and a huge commitment to making damn sure that everybody in the government knows how big our numbers are, and how wonderfully polite and environmentally concious we all are. I guess we need to establish racing, mudriding, and trailriding areas and make sure the three dont mix. Well here is the letter which includes my original letter and her response:

<<Thank you for your interest in OHV opportunities in Louisiana and in sharing Tennessee's program with me. I do not remember what the program is but I will look it up on the internet and see what I can find out. This office still has the OHV Study information that we prepared a couple of years ago and hope, with the new administration to be able to use it effectively. The Assistant Secretary of State Parks, Dwight Landreneau has said that he is interested in pursuing this type of activity on new sites that we may acquire. We are also looking into the possibility on such activities on a site we recently purchased. I am aware of the problems at Camp Claiborne and know that the Kisatchie staff is stretched to the limit as far as enforcement personnel they are allowed to hire. The dirt bike riders have been effective and supportive of the Kisatchie National Forest programs but I have not seen as much support from ATV riders. I do not know whether this is because there are few or no ATV clubs, or because it is difficult to get ATV riders together. If would help with Kisatchie, and with future efforts to provide areas to ride, to have spokespersons for the ATV riders and to have an effort on the part of riders to be better conservationists and police themselves.
I serve on a Trails Committee hosted by Kisatchie to look at some of the problems they have encountered on the forest as a result of their policy on OHV's. I don't know if they can charge for use or create fee areas for riding but it certainly something I will check into. I do know that one of the serious concerns for any land owner, public or private, is the huge gap between what is good for the land base and what is fun for ATV riders and Jeep riders. I know that spinning out in huge mud holes and soft muddy trails is a lot of fun, as is crawling over tree roots and hard to access areas for Jeeps. This is whatprevents timber companies, public agencies such as the Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries, State Parks and other federal and state agencies from getting into the program. I have seen so many families that participate in the good clean activities that it is a shame that these activities are not publicized as the norm.
With new administration coming into office I plan to bring up this need again and garner support for opportunities in Louisiana to participate in this activity. You can help by working with others to create a coalition of ATV riders who stress education, family involvement, healthful activities through camping and the outdoors, and environmental protection as your mission. The dirt bike riders have had to do the same thing over the years to change public perception and they have a strong coalition here in Louisiana. They have helped me over the last few years to push this activiy to the forefront.
Thank you for the email and if you have any further ideas or have imformation about Tennessee based on your experiences I would like to hear from you.
www.lastateparks.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 7:45 PM
To: XXXXXXXXXX
Subject: state OHV opportunities

Hi, Ms. XXXXXX,
I am writing because I am interested, and have participated in ATV riding in the state for some time. I see those opportunities dwindling, and I guess to cut a long email short, I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help.
My family and I have visited Camp Claiborne in the Kistachie National forest for several years, and lately have not gone much because of the very limited facilities there. (no running water, or electricity) and my wife and I have added several very young children to the family. I feel that the rangers that work that district are very hostile towards ATVers, and I am sure have had more than their fair share of problem causers. I am a Police Officer here in Baton Rouge, and understand what they must go through. I have personally been at the Claiborne Campground when a lot of LOCAL teenagers have arrived intoxicated, and caused a major disturbance.
My point is, my family and I would go to Camp Claiborne, and we would have still gone had we had to pay a fee that would have helped cover on site rangers, and improved facilities. We happily pay fees at other campsites we frequent. We also happily patronize the businesses and resturants that are local to the campgrounds that we find that have OHV use opportunities.
I read with interest the OHV program being initiated by the State of Tennessee, and I thought I would try to point it out to the appropriate people within my own state. I plan on investigating the OHV opportunities in Tennessee, and taking my family there, and spending some of my hard earned Louisiana money there.
ATVs are the number one sold recreational vehicle in this country. Their sales outnumber motorcycles two to one. It is a family event that children down to 6 years old can enjoy with their parents. My family owns 6 ATVs. We go camping where we can enjoy nature without having to hike and haul food in for miles. We were able at one point, to see 30+ miles of Louisiana forest and wildlife in Camp Claiborne in a 3 hour period. Those trips are family memories we will always cherish.
THANK YOU for your time reading this email. I tried to keep it short, but I am full of ideas that would benifit the Sportsmans Paradise, as well as visitors that would like to come visit our great state.
Shane Evans
XXXX Wax Rd.
Greenwell Springs, La.>>

Kraw 11-04-2003 02:24 PM

ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

sounds good. Go to our clubs page and email George Hammer, he is the president. As a club, we are always doing things to improve our riding area... I'm sure he would be all ears to new ideas and riding areas.

http://www.sltrailblazers.org

you can email/PM/IM me too if you want [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

1BigDSRider 11-04-2003 06:16 PM

ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

As a Atv rider for many years. I'm all for a new riding area. I would like to keep it family oriented, yet still fun for anyone. I have never riden my Atv while drinking or under the influence of any alcohol. I would love to donate my time and what money I can to a new riding area. I live in west Louisiana, so I would like to have this area close enough for me to make a day trip out of it. I have spent the better part of the last two years at La Dunes. Atleast twice a month. I hate seeing any riders going crazy on there atvs. The last couple of trips to the dunes I have witnessed two horrible crashes that could have been avoided with simple saftey procedures.

I mostly enjoy duning, and drag racing. I have done plenty of trail riding but riding through mud is something I dont like.

Shane let me know what I can do to help.

Mike

badittude 11-04-2003 06:59 PM

ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

Mike, well put. That is what most of us are after. A fun place without the wild west atmosphere.

Thanks Mike, & Kraw. I am going to take Kraw's suggestion. I am going to try to hook up with George at the next SLTRailblazers meeting. I am sure that any facilities opened by the state will be a wooded area for trail use at first. Mike, I am a sand head too, but the only chance that they will have a place with sand would be along one of the smaller rivers in the state. I know JUST the place, but Mike, you know the efforts I have already gone through to talk with the people in the Grangeville, La. area.. I will keep you all posted, and there may be a time real soon that I give you all an address to write to a nice lady so your "voices can be heard".
Shane.

CED 11-04-2003 07:05 PM

ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

Let me know what i can do to help also.I agree, very well put Bigds.

badittude 11-04-2003 07:21 PM

ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

And Mike I have a feeling, simply because of the lack of WMAs in SE and SW La., the odds are highly in your favor that any new areas would be closer to you. I also think that an area like this might be something that the State might be able to do with some of the Timber Cos. that are leasing State and Parish properties. I think one of the first steps we need to make is either form a club or join an EFFECTIVE existing club. We need to have a voice, and that voice should be in the form of a club officer that has our authority to speak for us. It need not cost alot of money, but we have to be committed to communicate through email or newsletter.
Shane.

1BigDSRider 11-04-2003 08:11 PM

ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

The organization is a great idea. We crossed this path before. We have to get organized and line out the finer points. I have no problem joining an existing club. Aslong as there goals are on par with our goals set forth. We know that there are atleast 25 forum members that are willing to donate time and would love a chance to change things up. We all hate the fact that there are idiots riding like wildmen all over.

We need to fiqure our goals and how we plan to reach them.

1- Safe riding area
2- Family oreinted
3- Organized
4- Fun
5- ???????

badittude 11-04-2003 08:16 PM

ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

Mike, lets make #5 - some occasional ORGANIZED racing events. For the wildmen. LOL.

I am waiting to hear from George Hammer about the SLT meeting. If their organization is the one for us, so be it, but I think they might be focused on the BonnetCarre area alot, but hopefully they can provide us with advice and direction. They have after all, established a working relationship with the Corps of Engineers there.

1BigDSRider 11-04-2003 08:23 PM

ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

That is a nice advantage. Working with government always helps. Even if we dont join there organization maybe they could still work with us and have organized events against each other. Competetion is a good thing. Club vs. Club working towards the same goal.

Kraw 11-04-2003 09:42 PM

ALL LOUISIANA RIDERS!!

our next meeting is next Thursday

RYAN'S Steak House 5101 Laplaco Blvd. Near the corner of Laplaco & Barataria (504) 347-4811 November the 13th 7PM.

Hope to see you all there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hope we can get something going! I would love to see a riding area between here and Alexandria [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Have you guys ever ridden the Enduro Camp in Fullerton? They have facilities etc