ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Where to Ride (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/)
-   -   Riding in iowa (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/132969-riding-iowa.html)

race250x 01-13-2004 01:32 AM

Riding in iowa

I would like to know if anyone has ever ridin the trails from cambridge to boone? You can follow the river almost the whole way. My friend showed them to me and we ride them all the time now. There is all kind of terrain. Hill climbs, creek crossing, flat and rough terrain. If you have ridin these trails the let me know if there are naymore like them around here. We are tired of having to pack our quads up and heading for the pacific northwest to ride. Iowa seems to favor suffocating itself and do NOT want to be a part of that. That is our politicians doing not mine. We love riding the oregon and washington coast. It is almost like they cater to atvers. You should check it out!

minnrider 01-13-2004 04:36 PM

Riding in iowa

ive heard about a large riding area in fort dodge you may want to investigate............i personally havent been down there yet

AngryHampster 01-13-2004 05:57 PM

Riding in iowa

ive never ridden it, but its a bit far for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]...about a 3 hour drive.

Iowa seems to favor suffocating itself and do NOT want to be a part of that.

+1

the iowa OHV association is trying as hard as it can to get more state money to fund OHV parks. one of the main boundaries in this issue are the equestrian groups that don't want our ATV's' and bikes mixed with their horses. I can understand this, as my family has owned several horses, and i know how they can react around motor vehicles. but the fact is, it wouldn't even phases the horses unless we flew by them at high speeds, revving the crap out of the machines. if people know to take some common courtesy and respect the animals, this won't be a problem, and local clubs as well as IOHVA are trying to convince the groups of that.

Another thing, in my county, im not sure if its a statewide thing or not, but in my county we can ride ditches. Our local club had a big ditch ride back in august, and it was good fun, had a great turnout, but theres something that doesnt seem right about 40 ATV's passing through someone's yard...twice for that matter. It was perfectly legal, but it seems kind of immoral. If I were to go do it now i wouldn't think twice, because the ground is frozen.

just my $.02

99500scrambler 01-13-2004 08:49 PM

Riding in iowa

Riding diches in Iowa is a state wide thing . It is suposadly abought to change though. When they first opened them up to riding that is not what the suporters of the plan origanaly wanted. They wanted to be able to open up certain routs to ditch trails from point to point. They wanted to conect some of the riding places, but when the original bill failed they got it pigybacked on with anouther bill that passed only it wasent worded the same and we wound up with a free for all with the ditches. Now they want to go back and change it to what they originaly wanted. As far as Fort Dodge being a riding area dont get cought talking abought it on here. They will chew your but like they did mine. It is without a dought the best rideing in Iowa but not quite legal yet. I first learned of it on this fourum and after a few years of riding there i talked abought it here and abought got run out of the state.

98red 01-14-2004 07:57 PM

Riding in iowa

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.....LOL !!! Hey Brandon, I see you have a new quad. That should be able to pull your DS650 out when you get stuck...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

99500scrambler 01-14-2004 08:11 PM

Riding in iowa

Ya. Tecnicaly its the wifes. When we where in Colorado this fall she decided she wanted a quad of her own so we came home and bought her that. I ride it a lot more than my DS now. I havent had the DS out sence before Thanksgiving. She gets mad at me and says that its suposed to be her toy. We will have to hook up and ride again this spring. I am considering going back to Bluff Creak so she can ride. She would love that place, its not to hard and will be fun for her being that she is a beginer. I will talk to ya more and line something up as spring gets closer.

98red 01-14-2004 08:29 PM

Riding in iowa

sounds good, there is going to be a harescramble series in Iowa this year go to
www.iowaatvharescrambleseries.com

AngryHampster 01-14-2004 08:49 PM

Riding in iowa

Originally posted by: 98red
sounds good, there is going to be a harescramble series in Iowa this year go to
www.iowaatvharescrambleseries.com

i just may have to attend that....maybe theyll have a class for slow, inexperienced racers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

98red 01-14-2004 08:56 PM

Riding in iowa

Yea they do... i have already signed up for that class[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

rldbobcat 01-14-2004 09:02 PM

Riding in iowa

Well I can tell you where not to ride.....State Parks lol. Just got in a little discussion with the DNR today when I was riding trails through a state park near my house. I played the stupidity factor out saying I was following the snowmobile tracks, which I was. The DNR officer informed me that snowmobiles can be ridden in state parks but ATVs cannot, which I pretty much already knew. But when I got caught we were leaving so we did get a few hours of riding in before leaving. I just cant see why snowmobiles seem fine to legislators and ATVs seem unwelcome. Its the same way how it is fine to ride snowmobiles in the ditches and I have never heard if it is truely legal to ride ATVs in them. If you look around the web there are tons of abandon railroads in Iowa and I have sent emails to the head of the railroad dept asking if you can ride ATVs on abandon railroad trails and have never heard any response to my emails. If someone could find out about the Railroad trails that could open up hundreds and hundreds of miles of trails to ride on in Iowa. I ride on South river most of the time which is just south of Indianola on hwy 65/69....if you ever go by there look around and you will find the trails.