Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Iron Range OHV Park?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron Range OHV Park?

I was thinking of planning a trip over to Gilbert this spring- like mid April. Does anyone know what kind of conditions we should expect there? I know around here the snow and ice can stay around into May and thats not what we are looking for [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] were more interested in mud and rocks. From the few posts and pics of the place that I have found, it looks pretty cool. We are also thinking of staying at Koke's motel in Eleveth (looks cheap and clean??), can you ride to the park from there legally?

Thanks

Matt

Old 02-27-2005, 01:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Nope, youll have to trailer to at least Gilbert. That trail isnt open yet, between gilbert and eve. Im not sure if you can ditch ride or not, but I dont think so. If youre into camping,I believe Gilbert has camp sites, and you can ride to the ohv park from there..
The ground could still be frozen, theres alot of snow this year, and with all the hills , the sun doesnt warm the ground up very fast.
Theres lots of rocks, and a little bit of mud. Theres one big mud hole, and the trails in the far area get a bit greasy and muddy. Doesnt matter when you go...youll get dirty.
If you like hill climbs, youll have fun...there are some I wont even think about going on (up or down).

Old 02-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Hondabuster,

Not sure when you were up here last, but there is a trail you can ride from the ohv park to Eveleth. There are also lots of sidetrails if you now the area. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Mudpuppy,

As to riding all the way to kokes motel you have to take a couple paved backroads, but if you go slow the cops don't bother you. As to cleanliness, I have never been in there, but they stay busy so I assume it is nice enough.

As to the park itself, going in april you will encounter a bit of snow and ice, though it won't be to bad. For what you are looking for, you will find plenty of mud and rocks and hills too. For mud, there is a atv mudrun that depending on conditions can be very difficult/deep but you still can make it through. They also have a mudrun for trucks and jeeps, I can say from personnal experience that I would not recommend that one with and atv. Also, some of the trails are very muddy and some are more solid. Another thing is the trail from Eveleth to Gilbert is usually a 5 mile mud run by late spring if you choose the most traveled spots. For riding in rocks there is plenty, you gotta realize this "park" is and old ironore minepit area. They even have small courses that have signs that say "for skilled riders only" or something like that. There is also another very good area for rocks, us locals call devils though that is a couple miles away and not considered part of the "park". For hills, hondabuster is right, there is alot of them and some of them I won't even try.

I hope this helped and you come up and enjoy your ride.

Ryan

PS the reason I use quotations around park is that me and alot of other people rode and grouse hunted back there before it became a "park". I am glad it is now a park because the did go in with heavy machinary and improve things.

Old 02-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

Thanks guys- you have been a whole lot of help! We might just push the trip back to the end of april (that time of year is the only time everyone in the group can get off) and I am sure we will have a fun time....

Matt

Old 02-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

MNWolverine01, Its been awhile, but last I read, the trail was still embroiled in controversy, being parallel to the walking trail. Its good to hear its been settled and can be used.
How are they coming alone on the virginia ohv area? I think I heard it will open this summer.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

hondabuster,

I wish I could help you more, but I haven't heard much about the virginia park. I will update you if I hear anything though.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Range Rover

Does anyone know if the snow has melted up there yet and the ground has stared to thaw? Our planned date is rapidly approaching and I have to make a decicsion to keep it (weekend of April 16th) or shoot for the weekend of the 30th? Any kind of info would be great....

Old 04-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

The snow is melting pretty fast. Check here for current snow depth in Minnesota.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Mudpuppy,

A couple of warm days this week really made the snow dissapear, then again I look out my office window and I see a blanket of white going across the sky. I really don't think it will stay long though. I think your plans for april 16 should not be a problem. Post on here before you come up, maybe I will come out for a few hours and meet you guys since I am so close to the park.

Ryan

Old 04-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Range Rover

MNWolverine01,

I will let you know by the end of the weekend what date we decide to come up- right now it looks like its going to be the 16th but I have to call the crew to figure out what is going to happen. Anyway I will let you know before we come up so you can come out and play if you like.....

Matt

Quick Reply: Iron Range OHV Park?