Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

about Where To Ride in Mass

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about Where To Ride in Mass

FrankC it is in the club forums.You can email your name and # if you like.Nitsy

Old 05-21-2005, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Guys:

FYI: Myles Standish is one of the state forests that could allow orv use under the Code of Massachusetts Regulations(CMR). CMR lists the few state forests that DCR can allow orv use in. With that said, about 5 years ago, a study of Myles Standish State Forest (MSSF) was done by Epsilon Associates. It concluded that MSSF could have roughly 30 miles of orv trails. DCR has done nothing because it says it doesn't have the funds to commission the additional environmental studies & surveys needed to finish the job. DCR estimates it will cost $ 900,000 to do it. That's a lot of bull as the trails are already there. They were cut by two local dirtbike clubs before the 1996 closures. Prior to 1996, there were 34 state forests open to orv use here in Massachusetts. Now you can count them on your fingers. If you guys get a club off the ground, email the Western Mass ATV president. He is from Bellingham and is very interested in expanding his club to the east. By the way, I have the Epsilon study. If you get enough people together, set up a meeting and I'll try and attend with study in hand. It's time to organize and fight. If we don't, we'll lose.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer

Hey, I'm all in for this south shore club. Is there another thread to get involved?

Old 05-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

ya it is under the club forums. titles eastern mass atv club interest or something like that.

Old 05-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

For anyone interested in an ATV club for Eastern Mass, I have set up an online databse to share with nitsy. It will get you on the email distribution list. There is no obligation and your information will remain confidential.

http://www.neatvtrails.com/EMass%20club%20survey.htm

Tracy, I'd like to get a copy of the Epsilon Study. If you add your info to the list we can set something up. I've been trying to meet with Steve from WMATV but he's been a very busy man. He and a few others have asked to be kept in the information loop.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

Link didn't work for me, it gave me a 404 file not found error...

Old 05-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I fixed the link so it works now. Every time I copy and paste something here it wants to copy formatting code, I always have to go back and fix it.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, bf... I'm in.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:08 PM
FYN
Trailblazer

I realized after the fact I didn't leave a number or address (I think), does it matter if I submit it twice???

Old 05-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I noticed you left out some things and I was going to come back on here to get you when it was time. Go ahead and re-submit the survey.
The important thing is the email address as any announcments will go out that way. It's a lot easier and cheaper than printing, addressing and mailing letters.
The rest of the info will help decide what people might want the most from a club (besides new trails) and the addresses will help when we send petitions to lawmakers.

One thing I didn't put in the survey is to ask for help from people that have experience in starting and running a club. Especially helpful would be sample organizing documents. I've found a lot of that stuff online from the IRS and Mass.gov and one thing is for certain, it's not something you want to do alone without advice. Anyone that has been or is certified to give safety training would be a good addition. We can do that without our own trails to start. Another useful talent would be someone that has been a trailmaster. We could learn from other clubs by helping maintain their trails and when we're ready to negotiate a trail system of our own we could be taken seriously.

If there is anything you want to add that's not in the survey then my webmaster email link is at the very bottom of the survey page.