Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Anywhere to ride near Denver, CO?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2000, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of taking a job in the Denver area and am wondering if anyone knows of places to ride there??

Old 10-05-2000, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer

Try http://www.coloradoguide.com/ Click on rec search then "by region" then "front range". I live in Colorado Springs and ride relatively close to home. Rampart Range Road is where we usually ride. You can take this road from the Springs to just south of Denver. If and when you move to Denver drop me a line at flymaster@earthlink.net maybe we could hook up for a day ride.

Old 10-05-2000, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds good. Thanks for the info! It isn't etched in stone that I'm going to Denver, but I sure would like to. If I wind up going, I'll give you a shout..

Old 10-05-2000, 10:45 PM
Range Rover

There are two MX facilities 20-40 miles north off of I-25.

Old 10-06-2000, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer

Rodney,

Saw your post and wanted to thank you. I'm coming out the CO Springs for Thanksgiving to visit my in-laws. I was contemplating dragging my 2 ATVs along for a ride from here in Kansas City. I'm sure I'd have more fun on the trails than with my mother-in-law;-)

Will it be too cold and can you get around on the trails in the snow? I found two trails close to the Springs, Mt Rosa and Crystal Creek, in the Pike National Forest. Have you ridden either of them?

I still have to convince my wife that it will be worth the trouble to bring the ATVs along and I'll probably be riding with her Dad anyway. Got any advice?

Old 10-09-2000, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

DreyMac,
It's hard to say how cold it will be around Thanskgiving. Could be mild, could be freezing. Last spring I was pushing snow at about 8 inches before we had to turn around. It sounds like your AC can bust through some deeper powder.

As for the trails you have mentioned, I haven't ridden either of them. The trails we ride are not listed on the Colorado Guide site. We ride Schubarth trail which is just outside of Woodland Park CO. A friend had us clocked at 26 miles before we decided to head back to the trucks. If your father-in-law has been to Rampart Reservoir then he can get you to Schubarth.
Send me an e-mail (flymaster@earthlink.net)before you head out. I could give you better directons and possibly take you on the trails myself. I will be off work 11/22-11/26 with no real plans except for Thanksgiving.

A pair of 99 Honda Foreman 400.

Old 10-09-2000, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

Flyin4man

Thanks for the feedback. I still have to convince my wife to let me haul both the Cats out west with us and I'd love to have someone like you show me around. I'm also going to check with my father in law. He knows a big land owner (10,000+ acres) that may give me all I need. I'll be sure to let you know if it comes together one way or the other.

Thanks again.

Old 10-10-2000, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

We lived north of Denver in a town called Longmont for about 10 years, and we had a couple of dirtbikes when we were there. The riding there is a little more wide open, and there are some nice places to ride. As long as you get the OHV stickers, and have a spark arrestor, you can ride most of the National Forest areas, as well as the BLM (Bureau of Land Management)areas. Another thing to do is check in some of the local motorcycle dealers, and they would know most of the popular riding areas.

Old 10-10-2000, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

RubiconBob

What is an OHV sticker and as an out of state visitor will I need one? My bikes are properly licensed and have stickers for Missouri.

Old 10-10-2000, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

OHV is Off-Highway Vehicle, and that sticker (about $10 or less, if I remember right) allows you to ride in all state-approved, as well as federal, lands. Since we moved to Ohio last year, they have the same thing. In Ohio, there is a temporary sticker that has to be purchased, but you must bring a copy of your titles or registration. I honestly don't remember how Colorado handles it, but that was because I lived there (vs. being an out-of-state visitor). We checked into the Ohio law when my sister-in-law brought their ATV's over during a recent visit. Maybe one of the Coloradan's could call their local DMV office, and post their response here on the webpage? (hint, hint!) Heck, we may be taking our first visit back to Colorado since moving out, and bring our ATV's with us, so I am interested, too!.

Quick Reply: Anywhere to ride near Denver, CO?