ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Where to Ride (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/)
-   -   HELMETS, HELMETS, HELMETS (https://atvconnection.com/forums/where-ride/21366-helmets-helmets-helmets.html)

BadCat 10-19-2000 04:43 PM

I LIVE IN SOUTH JERSEY. WHILE RIDING THIS PAST WEEKEND SOMEWHERE IN PORT ELIZABETH, I LOST COUNT OF HOW MANY "STUPID" PEOPLE I SAW NOT WEARING A HELMET!! NOT JUST KIDS BUT FATHERS AND MOTHERS AS WELL AS WHOLE FAMILIES.

PEOPLE, PLEASE WEAR A HELMET!!!

YOU ARE PART OF THE REASON WHY THERE AREN'T MORE LEGAL PLACES TO RIDE IN NEW JERSEY.

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO WEAR A HELMET, STAY ON YOUR PROPERTY!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

MagnumMudMan 10-19-2000 04:53 PM

BadCat

I am with you. How stupid are people that think that they will never be the one to roll over. A simple helment can generally be the difference between a serious accident and just a few bruises. I guess you call this cleaning the gene pool out.

mgrigsby22 10-19-2000 05:22 PM

The stupidest thing I ever saw was this past weekend at a local track there was a guy on a stock banshee trying to race everyone and he WAS NOT WEARING A HELMET. I watched him take corners in around 2-3 gear going pretty fast and almost loosing it a couple of times. He was obviously a begginer and had no since in him at all!

99 Yamaha Banshee, FMF Fatty pipes, Power Core 2 silencers, K&N filter, yellow maier racing fenders, blue shockcovers

www.geocities.com/mgrigsby21

FKNA 10-19-2000 05:36 PM

Wearing a helmet should be a persons (adult) CHOICE, not a law. I'll be the first to agree that HELMETS = SAFETY. However we should not be passing laws that violates an indivuals rights. One cannot be so judgmental and consider someone ignorant due to choices they make. I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people that do not wear helmets are well aware of the dangers involved and have decided that's a risk that they are willing to take. Just keep in mind every time YOU take away another persons individual rights you are taking away YOUR individual rights.

robh 10-19-2000 05:48 PM

More people should have thoughs "lids" on while out riding their quads. But there is something that i cant figure out: since when was it a persons rite not to ware a helmet?

MagnumMudMan 10-19-2000 06:43 PM

FKNA

I would agree with you that there should not be laws requiring helment usage on private property. I am all for individual rights, but I would have to say that on public riding areas, helments should be required. If someone gets hurt on public riding areas, the life flight comes in and gets the person. The media makes a big deal about it and the public gets another reason to believe that atv's are dangerous. It goes back to the old three wheelers. Three wheelers were not dangerous if operated properly, but too many kids and adults rode them beyond their limitations and got hurt. Then the government steps in and bam, no more three wheelers. What I am trying to get at is that riders should be allowed to make the decision, but for the sake of the future of atving, the choice should be to wear the helment.

King 10-19-2000 07:53 PM

Before this helmet law came into affect it was nice to putt down the highway and get in the wind.I'm not ANTI goverment 100%,but i dont like them telling me what i MUST do and PUSHING thier will on me.Everytime the Goverment wants something done thier way it becomes a LAW.I will say that i dont always wear a bucket when i ride my quad.That is my CHOICE not no one elses.Sure i'm being stupid,But that is my choice.I have and pay for my own medical plan,not the State of Calif.I know that helments are made to protect your head and do save lifes.I dont want to go on an on about this cause i could.Thats all i got to say.I think the Goverment just goes to far at times....

hambone 10-19-2000 08:04 PM

Hey I aint wearing a damn helmet, I aint wearing a damn seatbelt. I aint wearing a damn pair of safety glasses, I refuse to quit smoking. cough cough gag gag wheeze wheeze. So tell me docktor is it serious. Lung Cancer!!!! hell Im to young to die. Man find me a Lawyer. CONSEQUENCES,CONSEQUENCES, You can all do what you want, dont use safety equipment Hell I dont care. Just dont come crying and whining when you get hurt. Everyone is a macho tough guy till there a Parapolegic in a wheel chair. Then there out looking for some blood sucking lawyer to sue someone on there behalf. As for me I will wear a helmet,buckle my safety belt, and use whatever kind of safety equipment is developed. If I get cancer from the cigaretes I smoke I guess I will just have to die. It is my choice my decision and the consequence of my actions. No one will be sued because of MY decision.

FKNA 10-20-2000 09:45 AM

Robh, by your post I must assume that you think it's NOT an individuals right to choose whether or not they want to wear a helmet. There should be NO laws governoring "victimless crimes". If you want to drink, it's YOUR choice to kill your liver and no law should prevent you from doing so. You want to drink and drive, then there should be laws since that would not be a victimless crime. If you choose to be an Athiest that's your choice even though a Christian would say that's the death of your soul. If you want to smoke in your house, so be it...it's your lungs. You want to smoke on a plane, no go...then it's also other peoples lungs. If you want to eat fried food, go ahead...you're the one who will have the heart attack. If you want to do drugs, again it's your choice to become a vegetable. If you wish to drive without a seat belt, you're only hurting yourself if you get into an accident. And the same holds true for HELMETS. It's a victimless crime and NO ONE (that's an adult) should be FORCED to wear a helmet.

Magnum, I have to disagree with you a two points. 1) A person should not be required to wear helmets on public land. Even though the media may cover these accidents laws should not be made requiring one to wear a helmet. Look what the media has done with guns. Look at all the ridiculous gun laws that we now have in place due to the media. If guns cause crime, then pencils must cause spelling errors.....matches must cause arson? 2) I owned a 3-wheeler and they ARE dangerous. An extremely unstable and unpredictable machine.

Hambone, I'm with ya all the way. I used to be a heavy smoker and knew very well what the end result could be. Five years ago I decided I was no longer willing to take that risk and quit. However it is one's individual right to determine if they want to kill themselves, be it slowly by smoking, drinking or be it a little bit quicker by driving without a seat belt, not wearing a helmet, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, etc.

King...you got that right, they should NOT be PUSHING this type of crap upon as. An we as a whole as responsible atvers should stand up and NOT take these ridiculous laws that infringe upon our individual rights. Most of the time I don't wear a helmet either. It's usually myself, with the wife on the back and a beer in hand just putting around. And when I say putting, I mean just that...probably about the speed of a riding lawn mower. If they wife isn't with me, then there's not a beer in hand and I'm out for just a nice "cruise". And if I decide to see how high I can get it off of the ground and NOT wear a helmet, it's MY choice. It's MY money that will pay for MY funeral.

To sum it all up, to all those that want to bash those that do not wish to wear helmets get off of it. You know damn good and well that you don't want YOUR individual rights infringed upon, so why mess with someone else's individual rights?

TEXMud 10-20-2000 10:04 AM

FKNA,

I will not get into this arguement, but are you aware that there is a helmet law in Texas? Texas law states:

A helmet, properly fastened, and eye protection are required year round. Whether pleasure riding, hunting, camping, playing in the sand dunes or riding in the forest, you must wear safety gear while riding on public land.