Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Cloudcroft, NM

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:46 AM
jbh
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloudcroft, NM

I am planning a trip there on July 4th week. I have ridden Red River, NM twice and last year we rode Taylor Park, CO (very cool).

Has anyone ridden an ATV at the trails around Cloudcroft? I know there is some single track that has to be avoided. I can't seem to find any opinions on riding
conditions. We will be on a Rancher and Foreman, both 4X4. We will have 3 full days of riding and will camp the whole time.

Any opinions or trail reports would be great.

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloudcroft, NM

We went to that area in March for Spring Break. We stayed at the Gillespie Ranch which is just outside Mayhill, NM and about 20 miles east of Cloudcroft. We brought our toybox so we had to ride in/out of camp and didn't have the ability to trailer to different trailheads. There are definately enough trails for a three day ride. It was pretty warm in March when we were there, so I would guess at July 4th it could be quite warm.

We did drive over to Cloudcroft one afternoon and we saw a lot trailheads. We talked to the locals and it sounded like the best trail riding was south of Highway 82. We did all of our riding north of 82 and south of the Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation.

I do plan on going back, but we will stay in a cabin so we can trailer to different trailheads. I hope you have an enjoyable and safe time in NM. We are going to Taylor Park in August.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cloudcroft, NM

A stop by the Sacramento Mountain Ranger Station in Cloudcroft is needed!! It's easy to find on the main road across from the Town & Country gas station. They have trail maps with trail descriptions. The map is a decent CLUE, but not without some fault. We have been able to put in 275 miles of trail riding per visit, without moving camp from trailhead to trailhead. You might also want to search Lincoln National Forrest. The T=101 trail has some tight gates you may not make it thru and I have not attempted it. Otherwise there are some GREAT TRAILS. July/August weather is fantastic. Direct sun about 84. You will want a light jacket to start...dress in layers so you can peel off shirts or put them on as needed. Don't ride without rainwear packed on board with a snack! Have the extra spark plug, and plan for flats. Rustic camping is available in several areas. Pack in and Pack out. As long as you stay off the Sunspot Hwy on a ORV you should stay out of trouble. Take a careful look at any cattle guards you cross with your vehicle. The closest Tire shop is in Alamogordo! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Make sure to swing by Kathy Vista Outlook at aprox. 9,500 foot above sea level to see the night lights of Alamogordo and in the daytime look out on White Sands Recreational Area (non-motorized). Consider how your ride is jetted for the altitude difference. Hope this is helpful. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Dune Rider

I must return to the Sacramento Ranger District for some fall riding !

Old 10-06-2015, 11:43 PM
Dune Rider

Lincoln National Forrest
Cloudcroft New Mexico