Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-Rasor BLM Open Area/Afton Canyon Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So. Calif.-Rasor BLM Open Area/Afton Canyon Update

Made the first trip of the season yesterday to Rasor/Afton. This place changes constantly with summer thunder storms, so you never know exactly what to expect at the beginning of the riding season! Lots of evidence of some heavy rains!

Rasor Rd. wased out badly a few years ago, but is in pretty good shape now. There are still some spots with deep sand, but any stock 4wd truck will have no trouble getting back into the better camping areas, even pulling a huge toy hauler.

Afton road wased out badly, where it goes through the little canyon! It has been graded, but there is silt a yard deep piled up at the sides of the roads, and this makes it very narrow in spots. The water crossing nearest the campground, is still quite deep. I am reluctant to take a sport quad with low ground clearance in there, unless I have a long tow strap and someone along who is willing to pull me out if I get stuck.

The Mojave Road has obviously seen a resurgence of traffic from Jeepers and 4wds. Lots of sand, and it is getting rutted by the trucks and no fun to ride on a quad.

Enjoy!

Old 10-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

recon, thanks for the update. Always wanted to ride that area. However, from what I have read on another forum and what you described[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I think I'll try other areas first. Maybe on a trip down to Vegas I"ll take a side trip just to check it out, just need to allow the time to do it!

Old 10-08-2007, 02:35 AM
Red Rider

Rasor is the best kept secret in So. Calif.! The road has been bad for years, so that has kept the rif raf out. Use to be on a big weekend, there would be just a handfull of campers out there. But, recently the traffic and rains have packed the road and it is getting better, so more folks will be able to get back in there...for better or for worse.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

afton is great but we need to make sure the people who are using our blm areas keep them clean. i was in johnson valley this past weekend and the trash is getting out of hand out there. people need to think before they dump there trash out there. you want to keep riding in cali then pick up after yourself. sorry had to get it out there.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Red Rider

Do you mean camping trash, or trash some local high desert tweaker lowlife brought in there to dump???? There is both kinds, and unfortunately riders get blamed for the second type as well as the first type!

One of the off-road clubs has a clean-up day every year at Calico. Should be more of this at other areas!