Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by LdyJay
So my mechanically talented friends, I need some help figuring out why my tractor won't start. It's an ONAN BG-MS 2980A gas motor. New battery. Turn the key and it just clicks. I tried to thump the starter, but not sure if I got a good shot at it)or if it was the starter. Any suggestions?
I would check all the battery cables connections and check that the battery is fully charged.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Preach it Brother!!! ;)

Originally Posted by Rapbw01
I would check all the battery cables connections and check that the battery is fully charged.
I'll throw a charger on it, but just bought a new one with no improvement.
I'll trace back the battery cables though. I am not a fan of electrical issuues, that's for sure. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jayna,
Sounds like a starter. Turn on the headlights and try to start it, if the lights dim there's not enough power going to the starter. If they don't try jumping the starter. There should be 2 wires going to it. 1 big one from the batt. and a small one from the key. short them together for just a moment. If it still just clicks it's the starter.

Also we are buying a new house that has a horse barn. It has new gates on all of the stall that I won't need. Do you know any one that would be interested in them, and do you know what they are worth? Check them out, search 11125 Grandview rd. Arlington.

Tony

Old 04-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally Posted by LdyJay
So my mechanically talented friends, I need some help figuring out why my tractor won't start. It's an ONAN BG-MS 2980A gas motor. New battery. Turn the key and it just clicks. I tried to thump the starter, but not sure if I got a good shot at it)or if it was the starter. Any suggestions?
Hi LJ:

The fact that the solenoid clicks is a good thing as it eliminates searching thru a lot of the wiring for the problem.

I agree the battery connections must be very clean and the new battery is a good idea. Not all new batteries come fully charged and putting a charger on it will solve that potential problem.

Once the battery is charged I would suggest you take a set of jumper cables and hook one black lead to the engine block and the other to the negative (-) post of the battery. Then hook one of the red leads to the big post on the starter where the lead from the solenoid hooks on. Being sure the tractor is out of gear and the switch is shut off touch the other red lead firmly to the positive (+) post of the battery. The engine should crank over. If not then the battery is bad or you have a bad starter.

If the engine cranks over unhook the black lead from the battery and repeat this test. If the engine cranks over then the ground path from the battery to the engine is good and you can leave the black cable disconnected at both ends. If it won't crank you need to clean the ground wire connections and possibly replace the ground cable.

If the engine cranks over then take the red lead from the starter and hook it to the big post on the starter side of the solenoid and again touch the other red lead to the positive post of the battery. If the engine fails to crank the wire from the solenoid to the starter or one of the connections on it is bad.

If the engine again cranks over then hook the red lead to the battery side of the solenoid and the other red lead to the positive post of the battery. Try to start the engine in the normal fashion.

If the engine starts then the problem is in the wire from the positive terminal to the starter solenoid and the connections must be cleaned or the wire replaced as needed.

If the engine still fails to crank take a short piece of wire and connect between the red jumper cable at the solenoid and the small post on the solenoid. This should engage the solenoid and cause the engine to crank. If not then the solenoid is bad and will need to be replaced.

If, by chance you have one of the oddball tractors that has two big and two small terminals on the solenoid then let me know the make, model and serial numbers of the tractor and I'll look up a wiring diagram for it and let you know which terminal to hook to.

Hope this is clear enough to follow, if any questions just ask.

Tencubedlt@yahoo.com

Mike

Old 04-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

I have a quad in the garage

Old 04-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally Posted by HappaRap
Good Afternoon PSAR!

Hap's got a quad yet? I thought he had given up on all motorized transport. I've been expecting him to tell about hitching six in hand and making deliveries with a dray. He'd have to learn about "gee" and "haw" along with "lead" and "wheel" plus a lot of other neat old terms.

No seat time today, we went in to watch the grandsons opening ceremonies for Little League and the games that followed. Afterwards we and some of the kids went out for lunch. Now hanging around the house watching the daughter who gardens, SWMBO, youngest son and son-in-law plan out the garden plot. Seems we're putting in something over a half acre of garden this year plus I'm tearing up a bunch of sod area getting it ready for expanded garden next year. To give you some idea of the area involved, in case you don't know, an acre is 43,560 sq. ft. So far they have around 28,000 sq. ft. laid out and they are still adding area.

It's kind of cold and a heavy west wind today. Good day to stay inside and visit.

Have a super evening, we're having supper later, BBQ animal of some kind, and just relaxing.

Mike

Old 04-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally Posted by Dazeys
Also we are buying a new house that has a horse barn. It has new gates on all of the stall that I won't need. Do you know any one that would be interested in them, and do you know what they are worth? Check them out, search 11125 Grandview rd. Arlington.

Tony
Tony:

Are the gates you are referring to the sliding stall gates? If so, what size are they and would you want to get rid of the entire stall front or just the gates and hardware?

Mike

Old 04-25-2010, 05:14 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

It's 3AM and I just fired up the smoker.
Brisket for dinner tonight.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:14 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Three in mine, let's go riding!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

Kym,

That MS Ride is in September, a two day event covering 92 miles in the Skagit Valley. Guess you ride one loop, spend the night in Mt. Vernon and ride the second loop the next day. It's limited to 2000 riders, I don't know, not alot of miles covered each day, more like a walk in the park, but atleast it's for a good cause
O see ya already found out I pm'd Lara on FB to find out but look @ you on the ball

Quick Reply: NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread